The one and only CAG Super Smash Brothers Brawl Tournament! Beef vs. JoeB, FINALS!!!!

Thanks for playing CK! I love how we picked ROB and Jiggy at the same time.

Yeah, D3 can make items appear. I don't know of a way to turn them off - sorry. At least we didn't assemble any Dragoons, and no Smash Balls appeared either. So, sorry about that poison mushroom.

If I were ever to get a Dragoon as D3, I promise I'd aim it away from the other person. Seems pretty cheap to get a KO off of an item.

EDIT: [quote name='crystalklear64']
Got a chance to try some new characters though so it was all good.[/quote]

You were using new characters? Man, I'd hate to see you use your mains. You'd have won for sure!

[quote name='JoeB1233']Thanks for playing CK! I love how we picked ROB and Jiggy at the same time.

Yeah, D3 can make items appear. I don't know of a way to turn them off - sorry. At least we didn't assemble any Dragoons, and no Smash Balls appeared either. So, sorry about that poison mushroom.

If I were ever to get a Dragoon as D3, I promise I'd aim it away from the other person. Seems pretty cheap to get a KO off of an item.[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised if someone managed to assemble a full Dragoon. That would require a ton of waddle doo spamming.

Can Dedede make a smash ball appear? I guess he could, considering he can throw just about anything else out.

[quote name='Arikado']I'd be surprised if someone managed to assemble a full Dragoon. That would require a ton of waddle doo spamming.

Can Dedede make a smash ball appear? I guess he could, considering he can throw just about anything else out.[/QUOTE]
We had all the parts out, just no one got them all.

[quote name='crystalklear64']We had all the parts out, just no one got them all.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Suko just told me he can throw a smash ball out too. Crazy.

[quote name='Arikado']I'd be surprised if someone managed to assemble a full Dragoon. That would require a ton of waddle doo spamming.

Can Dedede make a smash ball appear? I guess he could, considering he can throw just about anything else out.[/quote]

I've seen it a few times during Waddle-spamming.

After some research, I have found the answer to this conundrum. Seems that D3 can throw items while items are on or off. If you turn the actual item frequency to "Off," there is no preventing this. However, if you turn all the individual items off via the green option in the item menu, D3 can't throw items.

Obviously, this is something that people can take advantage of, but you also have to remember the chances of D3 getting to throw an item in the first place. I think it's about the same chance that Peach has of getting a non-turnip when using her Down+B.

After obtaining this knowledge, I think I have some extra ammo for those bitches at GameBattles, heheheh.

EDIT: I don't know why this COULDN'T work, but if someone were to turn off all items except for the Smash Ball...:whistle2:k

[quote name='Mr. Beef']After some research, I have found the answer to this conundrum. Seems that D3 can throw items while items are on or off. If you turn the actual item frequency to "Off," there is no preventing this. However, if you turn all the individual items off via the green option in the item menu, D3 can't throw items.

Obviously, this is something that people can take advantage of, but you also have to remember the chances of D3 getting to throw an item in the first place. I think it's about the same chance that Peach has of getting a non-turnip when using her Down+B.

After obtaining this knowledge, I think I have some extra ammo for those bitches at GameBattles, heheheh.

EDIT: I don't know why this COULDN'T work, but if someone were to turn off all items except for the Smash Ball...:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the handy info.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']After some research, I have found the answer to this conundrum. Seems that D3 can throw items while items are on or off. If you turn the actual item frequency to "Off," there is no preventing this. However, if you turn all the individual items off via the green option in the item menu, D3 can't throw items.

EDIT: I don't know why this COULDN'T work, but if someone were to turn off all items except for the Smash Ball...:whistle2:k[/quote]

I was just looking up the same thing. :D I'll be sure to turn all the individual item frequencies to off from now on. I suggest everyone do the same, as you never know when a D3/Peach will show up when you're hosting.

just curious, how have you guys been figuring out who hosts the game?

what I've been doing is having my opponent run a speed test on their internet connection www.speedtest.net and see who has better numbers. My first opponent was on a DSL line, so it was pretty slow (like 1500k down, 500k up) mine is about 11,000k down, 1,700k up so I hosted, my 2nd opponent seemed like he really wanted to be the host, I asked him to run the speed test and it was lower than mine, but I agreed to let him host anyway, we didn't have any problems.

I also have my Wii in a DMZ on my router (so all ports are open), from what I hear this helps improve speed and reduce lag, but I really have no way to verify that.

I honestly don't care who hosts, as long as there is a lag free connection, which my last 2 tournament games have been the best 2 games I've ever played (maybe because its only 2 people instead of 4 people)

[quote name='BustaBust']strell when u get on pm me so we can start our tourny match.[/QUOTE]

Yo,

We played two 1v1 matches last night on 3 stock without items (you are xbstx, right?), and you won both. The first was Toon Link versus Fox, and the second was Lucas vs Marth.

You had PM'd me at 12:40 or so last night to mention we needed to play, and I know I was online around that time, so I didn't know if you had sent the message before or after. I figured you had sent it, gotten online, found me, we played, and that counted as the tourney.

However, if you want to play again, I'd gladly do so. I just didn't know if you were considering those as our matches or not. Either way, I'll leave the decision up to you. Of course, I will say I thought I played badly, and playing again with both of us full-well knowing this was the tourney at stake would be excellent.

I leave it up to you since you won the matches last night.

Sincerely,
Strell

okay can u give me like 10 mins max. ill make it so just look out for me if i dont reply back on this

actually im gonna host right now. ill waiting

rematch why would u choose hyrule temple? wtf is that final destination or battle field

at this point im not even palying.... im talking on this while we play... dont be a bitch and run and hide on the biggest stage.....if u wanna play like this go ahead and take the win im not even gonna try anymore .....

i think if cag does another brawl tourny BAN LEVELS..... make them levels where u have to fight and not run away but make them small levels such as battle field and final destination where u have to fight and if u run ur fucked.

well anyways w/e strell won by picking hyrule temple... at that point i gave up stupid tourny match to choose that level and srry for smash ball lol i turned items off but i guess there were still items and my cousin was playing with smash ball only. Dont know why items were on when i turned off but w/e gl with the rest of your matches....

well anyways w/e strell won by picking hyrule temple... at that point i gave up stupid tourny match to choose that level and srry for smash ball lol i turned items off but i guess there were still items and my cousin was playing with smash ball only. Dont know why items were on when i turned off but w/e gl with the rest of your matches....

BustaBust -

I don't know why you are complaining. I said you could take the wins from last night and you didn't.

I'll replay the match again if you want - I'll admit I accidentally hit "random" on level as opposed to choose Final Desination, and it ended up choosing Melee's Temple.

But don't accuse me of running away, because I didn't do that at all.

I asked specifically about levels a while ago and Beef said it was up to the people playing the matches. So we can throw out the temple round if you want and either restart everything from scratch, or give me the win on Final Destination, or whatever you want. I'm not going to be "that guy" in the tourney that gets accused of bending the rules to his own gain or whatever.

Shit, in that match on Final Destination, I had to not use the B button for a while because Smash Balls were in play (for some reason), and so I had to make due with only the A button. And with Kirby, his up+B is pretty vital when it comes to two people with high percentages trying to guard the edge.

So we can do whatever you want. I'll even give you the win from last night and drop out of the tourney. But I damn sure am not letting someone act like I'm not trying to play honestly in this thing.

well it was pretty gay during that hyrule match... i would run at u and u run away at times like it wasnt even a fight and i just completely stopped. I dont really care, if u want to play in this tourny then u can take the win right now ill just leave it up to u.

btw once again im gonna say i did turn off items i have no idea why they were on i made sure it was 3 stock no items and yet the smash ball was still there.

Okay since u picked random my bad but in my perspective look at it this way. It seemed like u chose hyrule and u would get hit but since the stage is huge u wouldnt die and at times u run away(i just gave up bcuz it was dumb). Then the second match u chose Final Destination. What me and my friend thought was that u chose hyrule to get a point up and then choose a regular stage. thats how i thought and to me that pisses me off. Since u put it that way sorry for going at it and im not gonna cry about 1 tourny when there are many on different forums that are about to happen that i am also in. so if u want to take the wins go ahead, the choice is yours.

I agree with the no level selections or at LEAST give a short list of levels you can pick from.

I've personally done all my tourney games on battlefield and final destination. (except 1 which was somewhere else I forget which, but it was still a small level, we both were killed by the level once in that match though)

I think its dumb to play a level in a tournament where the level can kill someone. or where you can run the entire time (new pork city or hyrule to name 2)

Don't accuse me of running away, because that's nonsense. You're acting like I was hauling off to get cheap shots off or something, but that's not the deal at all. I'll admit I used the stage's design to try and get off some more damage before I was ultimately killed, but you're acting like I was doing nothing but running away, and that's just wrong.

We both started the match with a huge exchange over on the right side, where I ultimately knocked you upward off the stage and had some 90% damage or more on your respawn. And when you came back, I had opportunity to send some Din's Fire your way to get some easy damage, which is entirely strategic.

Marth can pretty much bring the pain with anyone 1v1 on solid ground. It's common knowledge. I could have stuck around and let you wail on me, or I could have tried to reposition myself in a strategic way in order to hopefully get some sneak attacks in.

But I damn sure don't run away from battles. And I damn sure don't give up in the middle of a fight and sit there and complain about it.

well what im trying to say is that if u looked at it from my perspective that it was stupid to play on that level if u read above. And i didnt say u were running away the whole time im saying that at times u would run. to be honest im in 3 different tournies if u want to keep playing in this tourny go ahead. I just want to have good matches in all of them sorry to go off i just want it to be a good clean match every tourny i go in. so if u want to rematch or just take the win let me know if u do take the win i hope the best of luck to you.

You know, you're doing a good job of making a good point, and then turning around and saying something asinine right after it.

This whole "I want good clean matches" crap is tiresome. You're acting like you had no chance to win, despite the fact that you won matches last night AND had every reason to win the match versus my Kirby.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about it, and have to deal with some kid trying to tell me I'm not playing fair. Ridiculous.

Edit: The stuff you said about Hyrule Temple is entirely valid and fair. I'm not dismissing any of that and what you thought about it.

well the Final Destination was fair im not gonna lie, if you know me in person when someone plays a match or if i think they play somethin to get advantage then i get really pissed its just my personality. i mean yes i did win last night when we were playing but i mean like im trying to say sorry for going off and im letting you take the win since I CHOSE to redo the match so its up to you im trying to stop the arguing but u keep going at it im just trying to say that from my view it sucked lol and im didnt really want to go off but every response i got was kinda eh if u know what i mean. If u want to take it go ahead im giving u the choice now since i chose to redo the match. No hard feelings or anything i really dont want ppl to hate me thats the last thing so its up to u.

I'm not even saying you sucked. fucking hell, after last night, I felt like I was doomed period. And then I saw the post in here and wanted to see if you'd realized we played last night or not, and thus gave you the option. And you said we could play again, which made me happy since I thought I was playing badly last night, but that I felt like "Damn, dude was a monster with Marth last night."

I mean I threw out Lucas and Fox at you and got stomped both times, even though those guys tend to be some of my better plays.

As for your personality, that's cool. I'm the same way. I was out of town last week visiting some friends who are Smash fans, and they had played it WAY more than me, so they knew more about all the new mechanics. And at some points, I was pissed as hell about it because they were hitting moves that had priority over what I was doing, and I kept thinking it was bullshit that my moves were connecting.

So I'm sorry for coming off like a jerk in here too, but I'm making it very clear that I didn't pick the level on purpose. In fact after I hit random, I thought "Shit, I hope that one doesn't come up," and then it did. And I immediately thought we could throw it out if you wanted. (There's something in here about how voice chat would solve all this sort of shit, but Nintendo is stupid about it.)

Personally I think me taking the win I had on Final Destination is fair, and we start from there. That way it makes it seem more balanced all around.

sure that sounds good. Nintendo is really dumb to not put voice chat in or any type of chatting system even just sending each other comments or w/e but sure if u want to start 1-0 u that would be fine. and if u want to play now which stage so we know lol. i would prefer battlefield or final destination but let me know so we can choose same stage.

oh and now i made sure that i turned ALL items off in the item selection and on top of that im gonna choose items off lol.

ggs lol the lag this time just screwed me it would never do my counter lol i just gotta get used to playing with the lag but ggs. out of 1 tourny 3 more to go hah.

Good luck in the other two tourneys. I'm confident you're going to go in them.

Good matches, and I apologize again for the issues earlier. You're one hell of a Marth player and I hope we play more in the future.

I don't mean to intercede in a discussion that was entirely between the two of you, but both camping (not that it sounds like Strell was even camping) and stage counter-picking are valid strategies that are observed in tournaments of much higher caliber than our own. I don't see why setting up odds to your advantage is being frowned upon. :/

GG Decrot. That up-B spamming with Kirby was really annoying. Nevertheless, it was a challenge overcoming that obstacle.

Round 1: evergoo d. Decrot
Round 2: evergoo d. Decrot

suko vs maigoyume

Round 1: Falco vs Lucas (Falco wins)
Round 2: Falco vs Lucario (Falco wins, albeit close)

winner: Suko, well played my friend, good luck in round 3 :)

[quote name='maigoyume']suko vs maigoyume

Round 1: Falco vs Lucas (Falco wins)
Round 2: Falco vs Lucario (Falco wins, albeit close)

winner: Suko, well played my friend, good luck in round 3 :)[/QUOTE]

yeah, gg's. Those were some intense games.

holy shit busta. maybe next tournament a level rule shouldnt be issued but an age limit. Like, nobody under 10. You lost bro stop making excuses.

anyways, amigoone just beat me in some of the laggiest matches ive ever played lol. Hes pretty good with link. I cant wait till that lan adapter arrives. man im sick of this crazy lag.

[quote name='sleepy180']holy shit busta. maybe next tournament a level rule shouldnt be issued but an age limit. Like, nobody under 10. You lost bro stop making excuses. [/quote]

Sadly, this thread is riddled with "zomg lag" (as if both aren't experiencing it at the same time). Lots of excuses (button delay is my favorite to hear) and trash talking... on brawl... which I find both sad and hilarious at the same time. :/ One reason I'm glad there's no voice chat, tbh.

That being said. There are a number of people who are pretty cool to play with. Busta, the game can be frustrated... just don't get so uptight. It's a game. It's not like in a year... somebody will look back and say "Oh my, he lost on a video game.... but it's justified because of XYZ."

If it's that big of a deal that you'll lose sleep over it.. replay my r2 opponent. I wouldn't mind letting that guy take my spot anyway, since I probably won't be around my Wii much this weekend.

Alright, let's shift focus here, people. I think everything that needed to be said has been. So, with that in mind, I contribute this:

SUKO, YER GOIN' DOWN!

[quote name='JoeB1233']Alright, let's shift focus here, people. I think everything that needed to be said has been. So, with that in mind, I contribute this:

SUKO, YER GOIN' DOWN![/QUOTE]

Roger that.

Your confidence frightens me. :p

And I meant to find a hilarious picture to accompany my bold claim, but, alas, all were inappropriate.

[quote name='JoeB1233']...

Your confidence frightens me. :p

And I meant to find a hilarious picture to accompany my bold claim, but, alas, all were inappropriate.[/QUOTE]

I tried to find a picture too, but even before I began I gave up.

Anyways, it'll be fun since we've never played each other.

bread's done
Back