CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
30 Under 30 Who Are Changing The World 2014

Some notable names from the video gaming scene. To read the full article, please click on the link above.

• Palmer Luckey, 21, CEO, Oculus VR
Endorsements from game industry icons including Valve's Gabe Newell and id Software's John Carmack helped Luckey raise $2.4 million in a 2012 Kickstarter campaign. The year-old company has since raised over $91 million from venture capitalists and consumers should be able to buy the Oculus VR headsets for a price of $300 sometime later this year.

• John Graham, 27, Cofounder, Humble Bundle
Creator of Humble Bundle Inc, whose downloadable collections ("bundles") of games are sold for short periods at low prices. They've been embraced by publishers as a way to sell back-catalog games and raise interest in new titles, and the "Humble Indie Bundles" have had a huge impact on independent developers, getting their games into the hands of millions of users.

• Anthony Burch, 25, Lead writer, Gearbox Software
Perhaps best known as the creator and producer of "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playing?", an independently-produced web video series. In his day job at Gearbox Software, he wrote the critically acclaimed and best-selling game Borderlands 2.

• Alexander Bruce, 27, Owner, Demruth
The Australian designer of "Antichamber" created a first-person puzzle-platform video game that sends players exploring strange non-Euclidean landscapes. Released by his own one-man company, it has reached sales of $4 million in just over two years.

• Davey Wreden, 25, Creative mistress, Galactic Cafe
Wreden wrote the critically acclaimed indie game "The Stanley Parable," which parodies and critiques the conventions of modern video games, including itself. As co-founder of publisher Galactic Cafe, he also developed a smart marketing campaign that used YouTube personalities and game industry veterans to develop strong word-of-mouth and drive outsized sales for his unconventional game.

• Terry Cavanagh, 29, Director, Distractionware Limited
Cavanagh is a prolific designer of smart, often experimental game like VVVVVV. His 2012 release Super Hexagon, was a finalist for the Best Design award at the Independent Games Festival, audience choice winner at Fantastic Arcade, and a finalist for Game of the Year on Apple's App Store.

• Matthew Davis, 28, Cofounder, Subset Games
Co-creator of the hit PC game FTL: Faster Than Light, Davis and his partner Justin Ma raised $200,000 to publish the game via a 2012 Kickstarter campaign; since its release, FTL has won numerous accolades.

• Justin Ma, 28, Cofounder, Subset Games
Justin Ma got his break working for 2K Games in Shanghai, China on title such as BioShock 2. In 2011 he started Subset Games with Matthew Davis, and worked as artist and co-designer on FTL: Faster Than Light.

• Tom Jubert, 29, Narrative designer
Jubert is a freelance game writer whose work includes both critically acclaimed indie titles (FTL, The Swapper, and the Penumbra series) and franchise games from major publishers (Driver: San Francisco).

• Amir Rao, 29, Studio director, Supergiant Games
Co-founder of Supergiant Games and co-creator of the action role-playing video game Bastion, which has sold over 2.2 million copies since 2011 and won multiple awards at competitions.
john graham lies he aint to watch he turn ddark side rest hmm

Streaming for those of you who shamefurrry play PC games on your couch.
30iar1j.png

I'm pleased the prices aren't amazing since I would have kicked myself if they were and I could have just held out six months with a Mac… … … nah… forget that.  They're just sort of at a weird place.  While I get that they're for people who don't want to build/hire mercenaries to build their own system you can still buy pre-built systems from most of these third parties in the first place.  And while the Steam logo has some selling power I have to wonder if the majority of these won't have Windows on them in addition to SteamOS.  I doubt couch gamers will spend $500+ on something that only plays mostly indie games when for less they can get a console that plays all their favorite AAA faire.

And while the Steam logo has some selling power I have to wonder if the majority of these won't have Windows on them in addition to SteamOS. I doubt couch gamers will spend $500+ on something that only plays mostly indie games when for less they can get a console that plays all their favorite AAA fare.
This right here. I decided to check out the Linux offerings yesterday and was surprised to see that it was composed almost exclusively of indie titles. Until Activision decides to port COD to Linux I don't see these things offering any real competition to MS and Sony...and even then they'd still be missing the console exclusives. Somebody explain to me how this initiative is not going to fail.

This right here. I decided to check out the Linux offerings yesterday and was surprised to see that it was composed almost exclusively of indie titles. Until EA decides to port COD to Linux I don't see these things offering any real competition to MS and Sony...and even then they'd still be missing the console exclusives. Somebody explain to me how this initiative is not going to fail.
Yeah, most of the big publishers don't care about Linux. I actually own most of the linux stuff that's on Steam, because I got a lot of them in bundles.

This right here. I decided to check out the Linux offerings yesterday and was surprised to see that it was composed almost exclusively of indie titles. Until EA decides to port COD to Linux I don't see these things offering any real competition to MS and Sony...and even then they'd still be missing the console exclusives. Somebody explain to me how this initiative is not going to fail.
A low end AMD APU box makes sense... can handle SteamOS' indie and source games fine and do streaming from your gaming PC. Above that and it is a gaming PC (price and expectations).

I don't think it's necessarily going to fail.  Have to start somewhere.  The fact that Gabe has gotten these major computer manufacturers to buy into his scheme is a huge step forward in establishing himself.   AAA publishers will eventually sign on,  it's just a matter of time.  I think where they might be successful initially is in the $200ish tier streaming/integrated units for casual gamers who are just happy with indie games.  I don't see anyone buying the $600+ units that will actually contain dedicated GPUs.  I can't imagine who is going to buy the $1,500 - $2,500 units (lol @ the one with two Titans) other than people with money to burn and little knowledge of computers.

Crazy request I know, but does anyone have a spare Steam key for Metro 2033? I have a friend with an FPS itch, and I figure this will be a good intro to the genre.
Did you find a copy yet? If not I have a key that may or may not be valid that you can try first for free.

I don't think it's necessarily going to fail. Have to start somewhere.
Nope. You have to hit big immediately. If people don't understand, want, or feel they need your product at launch or even announcement it's doomed to fail. Just like the Steam client. Don't even think of suggesting that some smart people with big ideas are playing a long game for which the outcome isn't immediately apparent.

I don't think it's necessarily going to fail. Have to start somewhere. The fact that Gabe has gotten these major computer manufacturers to buy into his scheme is a huge step forward in establishing himself. AAA publishers will eventually sign on, it's just a matter of time. I think where they might be successful initially is in the $200ish tier streaming/integrated units for casual gamers who are just happy with indie games. I don't see anyone buying the $600+ units that will actually contain dedicated GPUs. I can't imagine who is going to buy the $1,500 - $2,500 units (lol @ the one with two Titans) other than people with money to burn and little knowledge of computers.
Never say never.

ka9YMOz.jpg

ratioed-FTP? ;)

Well that's what I remember of 1997's digital distribution...
Back in the Commodore BBS days, you got 3kb download credit for every 1kb you uploaded.

I'll admit that the Steambox thing somewhat mystifies me for the usual reasons (small catalog, cost vs performance vs upgradability, etc) but there's nothing about it that I can find to be really be "against" (as much as I'm against anything in the entertainment electronics world). If SteamOS proved to be the most awesome thing ever, I could still put it on my PC or a boot flash drive and use it. So, hey, I don't get it but if some companies want to chase this star, more power to 'em.

Back in the Commodore BBS days, you got 3kb download credit for every 1kb you uploaded.

I'll admit that the Steambox thing somewhat mystifies me for the usual reasons (small catalog, cost vs performance vs upgradability, etc) but there's nothing about it that I can find to be really be "against" (as much as I'm against anything in the entertainment electronics world). If SteamOS proved to be the most awesome thing ever, I could still put it on my PC or a boot flash drive and use it. So, hey, I don't get it but if some companies want to chase this star, more power to 'em.
SteamOS is really just Big Picture mode on Linux.. so if you wanted to use it you could use Big Picture mode and get nearly the same experience.

I can't imagine who is going to buy the $1,500 - $2,500 units (lol @ the one with two Titans) other than people with money to burn and little knowledge of computers.
People spend $2,000 for Macs that are less equipped than the Steamboxes and non replaceable parts.

If they can make a $500-600 Machine with a core i5, 8 gigs of ram and a decent gpu (Not integrated), then this would actually make a killer designer/developer machine (nothing game designer related but general programmer or graphic designer). In fact if this pushes more diy building options as well, then this would be great for PC's.

CAG WINTER SALE BINGO

Final Announcement!

Congrats to radioactivez0r and Neuro5i5 who tied for the win in the playoff round! Announcement here.
d06.gif

Crazy request I know, but does anyone have a spare Steam key for Metro 2033? I have a friend with an FPS itch, and I figure this will be a good intro to the genre.
was gonna offer one if i happen to run across another but see that several people have already made offers. :D

I don't think it's necessarily going to fail. Have to start somewhere. The fact that Gabe has gotten these major computer manufacturers to buy into his scheme is a huge step forward in establishing himself. AAA publishers will eventually sign on, it's just a matter of time. I think where they might be successful initially is in the $200ish tier streaming/integrated units for casual gamers who are just happy with indie games. I don't see anyone buying the $600+ units that will actually contain dedicated GPUs. I can't imagine who is going to buy the $1,500 - $2,500 units (lol @ the one with two Titans) other than people with money to burn and little knowledge of computers.
What? I want a dual titan unit for $1500 (sell both titans for $2000) then pop in a geforce 770 for under 300, boom you get a Steam box and $200. sign me up now :D

Nope. You have to hit big immediately. If people don't understand, want, or feel they need your product at launch or even announcement it's doomed to fail. Just like the Steam client. Don't even think of suggesting that some smart people with big ideas are playing a long game for which the outcome isn't immediately apparent.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Valve succeed and provide some legitimate competition to the Big Three. Obviously I'm not an insider and GabeN has a perspective that the rest of us lack. I guess you're right - maybe it's not about the success of this first initiative, but rather a more general push to get more people using their PCs in the living room and running Valve software. I'd be curious to know what their five-year plan is.

Until EA decides to port COD to Linux...
Two things:

• Activision publishes CoD not EA.
  • I can't see most of the big publishers especially EA and Ubisoft supporting Linux anytime soon.
Reasoning is that they both currently use their own clients on top of or instead of Steam, so besides making the games work on tux they'd have to put out a build of Origin/uPlay that also works, which judging by how long it took for Steam to become stable and feature complete is not something most companies are likely to put time and money into until there is a bigger market for it, which won't happen because of SteamOS as it's enclosed and there isn't anyway of running those clients from within the OS (at least as it is now, which is to say big picture mode without the standard client underneath).

Activision is about the only major publisher I can see porting their games to linux anytime soon, but even then I can't imagine CoD would be enough to substitute the otherwise lack of most AAA games. Personally, like Louiedog already said, if there was a cheap ($250 or so) box capable of playing indies and streaming media, I'd definitely be into that and I think a lot of more casual gamers would as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the higher end models right now, but at the very least those buying them should shell out for a copy of windows to even have anything that takes advantage of the parts inflating the price.

Just thought I'd throw my bit while everyone else is.

Did you find a copy yet? If not I have a key that may or may not be valid that you can try first for free.
If that doesn't work, then PM me - I also have a spare key.
Thanks to everyone above plus menewbe and mnemnoch for their gracious offers, my friend got a working key :D

Personally, like Louiedog already said, if there was a cheap ($250 or so) box capable of playing indies and streaming media, I'd definitely be into that and I think a lot of more casual gamers would as well.
$250 would be pushing it, unless you are talking about streaming-only. Based on personal experience, to get the CPU & GPU power to play games locally you'll be looking closer to $400, even for "indies" (some of which do actually need decent horsepower to run - everyone makes indies sound like they can all run on a TRS-80).

Most of the modern indies I'm playing on my Mac-n-exlie work just fine… and it has a 9500 GT with 512 Ram in it.  If they actually sold those today they'd be… $20?

Two things:

• Activision publishes CoD not EA.
  • I can't see most of the big publishers especially EA and Ubisoft supporting Linux anytime soon.
Reasoning is that they both currently use their own clients on top of or instead of Steam, so besides making the games work on tux they'd have to put out a build of Origin/uPlay that also works, which judging by how long it took for Steam to become stable and feature complete is not something most companies are likely to put time and money into until there is a bigger market for it, which won't happen because of SteamOS as it's enclosed and there isn't anyway of running those clients from within the OS (at least as it is now, which is to say big picture mode without the standard client underneath).
The reason they would possibly want to do so is to hedge against some move by MS that cripples Windows as a gaming OS. That's why Steam is experimenting with SteamOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back