The "X's Room Smells Fresh Because He Can No Longer Fart" OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='lordwow']My Bachelor of Arts in film begs to differ.[/quote]

I plan on majoring in Film and New Media, which is under UNL's category of the College of Fine and Performing Arts, but once again, dallow just brought up the fact that there is the term "the arts," which I am not bothered by. Of course, that is film in the eyes of academia, which is really quite pretentious in itself, and cannot be looked at with any semblance of seriousness.

[quote name='prmononoke']Once again, exactly.

What I don't understand is why people want video games to be considered art. They are, first and foremost, entertainment. Can art be entertaining? I don't know, since I don't really know what art is.[/quote]

I guess the idea is if it involves creativity and there is no right answer, it's an art of some form. Otherwise it's a science.

Things produced by practicing an art would be artwork. Since creativity is involved, I would say the results of practicing an artform could be viable sources of entertainment. Writing, Storytelling, Music, Film, etc.

[quote name='lordwow']Ya, and neither is a guy who draws a stick figure.[/QUOTE]

Right. So, we shouldn't be callin' anyone who does anything that falls under these categories an artist.

Like I said before, in my terms, I think the subject has to beautiful or amazing to considered such, and I don't have a problem with callin' a film art if it deserves it.

[quote name='dallow']Reading helps PR.
It's a debate thousands of years old. There's plenty on the subject.

What is art?
How to define art? When is it fine, when is it just applied?

Yeah, Soulja Boy isn't an artist, no matter how much TFN says so.[/quote]

I've read things about this.

It's not like I'm totally lost when it comes to what art is, I just find that people are way too accepting of the term. It wasn't until several years ago that I realized people were referring to non-paintings and sculptures as "art," and I blindly accepted it. Then I realized that I dislike what many people consider art (I have no interest in what falls under my definition of art, which is basically paintings and sculptures), and I decided to stop using the term. So really, it's not that I don't know what art is, it's just that my idea of it doesn't coincide with many others' idea of art.

[quote name='prmononoke']I plan on majoring in Film and New Media, which is under UNL's category of the College of Fine and Performing Arts, but once again, dallow just brought up the fact that there is the term "the arts," which I am not bothered by. Of course, that is film in the eyes of academia, which is really quite pretentious in itself, and cannot be looked at with any semblance of seriousness.[/QUOTE]

Of course, video games are seen as even more laughable than film. I mean, if you go into film theory classes, people are shitting on video games (or music sometimes). In other words, video games are really considered the least artistic form of media currently.

I don't know, I think there's artistic merit in any form of media, but media is not inherently artistic. The purpose of the media is to entertain and inform. And art is a form of entertainment.

Well, I'm not saying those aren't art forms -- I think they are.

I just don't like the "art" catchall.

[quote name='thekeybladewars']I was grinning from afar because I was sure it was you, but then I came closer and his facial features changed in the blink of an eye. If it was you, you would have said hi, dummy.[/quote]
:wave:

A stick figure can be art. Depends on the way it is interpreted, like Jimmie showed.
Some art forms are more appreciated than others, but it depends on the demographic it's applicable too and how they interpret it. As in, art is different for everyone.

[quote name='lordwow']Of course, video games are seen as even more laughable than film. I mean, if you go into film theory classes, people are shitting on video games (or music sometimes). In other words, video games are really considered the least artistic form of media currently.

I don't know, I think there's artistic merit in any form of media, but media is not inherently artistic. The purpose of the media is to entertain and inform. And art is a form of entertainment.[/quote]

I can accept that things have artistic merit. I mean, Bioshock has artistic merit. It might even be possible to call it art. Does Madden have artistic merit? Hell no. Just because the developers have the ability to create something does not mean that they are artists (this is not an argument against anything you said, it just so happens that this is on my mind while I make this post).

Anyone can pick up a camera and shoot something. Anyone can write something, or write lyrics, or do anything. Just because you create something does not make it art. To elevate it to that level (and it sort of makes me sick saying this, because I'm getting too pretentious for myself here), one must transcend the basics of whatever medium they choose. You can't just write some jokes about Spartans and call it a day. That isn't art.

It's barely scratching the surface LP, with fingernails.

Doolittle and Weezer pack for Rock Band.
I'll pick and choose off the Doolittle and pass the Weezer across the table.

[quote name='dallow']It's barely scratching the surface LP, with fingernails.

Doolittle and Weezer pack for Rock Band.
I'll pick and choose off the Doolittle and pass the Weezer across the table.[/quote]

Hello mirror-choice! We'll probably end up with the Weezer if it's stuff we don't already have.

[quote name='dallow']Well PR.

There is such a thing as good art, and bad art.
No matter how much people cry that it isn't true.[/quote]

Perhaps, I suppose. I mean, I have a hard time with the idea that something involving smearing shit is considered art, but if it is, I suppose I can at least call it "bad art."

It's from the new album Frosty.

[quote name='PR']
Perhaps, I suppose. I mean, I have a hard time with the idea that something involving smearing shit is considered art, but if it is, I suppose I can at least call it "bad art."
[/QUOTE]There you go, you're on your way to being me now.
An egotistical prick with "good taste".

[quote name='prmononoke']I can accept that things have artistic merit. I mean, Bioshock has artistic merit. It might even be possible to call it art. Does Madden have artistic merit? Hell no. Just because the developers have the ability to create something does not mean that they are artists (this is not an argument against anything you said, it just so happens that this is on my mind while I make this post).

Anyone can pick up a camera and shoot something. Anyone can write something, or write lyrics, or do anything. Just because you create something does not make it art. To elevate it to that level (and it sort of makes me sick saying this, because I'm getting too pretentious for myself here), one must transcend the basics of whatever medium they choose. You can't just write some jokes about Spartans and call it a day. That isn't art.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Unfortunately most pretentious film folks won't accept ANY video games as art. Bioshock or Madden.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']I think peanut butter would be more rewarding after exercising.

-or before and after.[/quote]

It would be. But...I could eat a popsicle first. I just don't like eating something substantial (I realize peanut butter (on bread, of course) isn't the most substantial thing) before exercising, as then I'm just burning those calories. Perhaps I should just brush my teeth. I haven't done that yet today (I really should as soon as I'm done with breakfast).

[quote name='dallow']It's from the new album Frosty.

There you go, you're on your way to being me now.
An egotistical prick with "good taste".[/quote]

Eh...

As long as I don't start shopping at Bed Bath & Beyond, I'm good.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Your metabolism will also be faster when you're done with your work out, so it'll be best afterwards.[/quote]

I'm quite aware, which is why I haven't gone ahead and eaten that peanut butter (sandwich). I ate breakfast nearly three hours ago, so now seems like prime exercise time. Soon, I suppose. Granted, I originally wanted to start by 12:15, but I didn't. Damn art conversations.

[quote name='Dkellar']I don't like Weezer's new stuff.[/quote]

but you don't like anything. just about every post you make is filled with "I don't like ___." or "___ is terrible." :)

I don't like Frosty.
[quote name='Moxio']Yogurt is good. Burritos are good. JFD, go stick your dick in a cheese shredder and sprinkle the slices in your salad.[/quote]
Yours aren't even funny, buddy.

How about you chop your mansicle into bite sized pieces and dip them into a nice Wendy's soft serve ice cream.

[quote name='dallow']:oops:[/quote]

Trust me dallow, there are few things stranger than several teenage boys walking through Bed Bath & Beyond with each other, and no girls nor parents with them.

Yes, my friends and I did this at least once on a Friday night, with nothing else to do. I have no idea how we ended up there, or why.

Granted, I am no longer a teenager nor do I have these particular friends anymore.

Of course, I never expected that I would be baby-stepping my way towards sharing dallow's art views, so who knows what my future home furnishings shopping adventures hold.

Buy some cats and get your toe nails buffed out. After that all's that's left is to stuff the longing you have for the forbidden touch of another man deep into the pit of your soul where you hide it, but only from yourself. The rest of the world sees it.

Mixio, I took 5 legion armies across the river to Paris but the defenders have a 15 rating vs my 9. What should I do? I tried sacrificing on army to get the Parisian's numbers down but that didn't do anything.

"Why does everyone hate me?"
gah.gif

[quote name='Moxio']Hey JFD let's fight in an online AOL Instant Messaging chat.[/quote]
I have a gun.
[quote name='lordwow']"Why does everyone hate me?"
gah.gif
[/quote]
Let's invite wow too. I've got a few recipes for him.

[quote name='prmononoke']Trust me dallow, there are few things stranger than several teenage boys walking through Bed Bath & Beyond with each other, and no girls nor parents with them.

Yes, my friends and I did this at least once on a Friday night, with nothing else to do. I have no idea how we ended up there, or why.

Granted, I am no longer a teenager nor do I have these particular friends anymore.

Of course, I never expected that I would be baby-stepping my way towards sharing dallow's art views, so who knows what my future home furnishings shopping adventures hold.[/quote]:)

I never cared either until I got my own place.
And then watching stylish 60s flicks got me wanting some of that.

There's just something about having things look like they should be there.
I still have a lot of work (ie money) to do.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Mixio, I took 5 legion armies across the river to Paris but the defenders have a 15 rating vs my 9. What should I do? I tried sacrificing on army to get the Parisian's numbers down but that didn't do anything.[/QUOTE]

Legions aren't good at all, really. Get some Knight armies and use those. Also, sacrificing your Legions should eventually weaken the army.

[quote name='prmononoke']fuck Firefox 3.0, and it's incompatibility with the full version of Windows Live Hotmail.[/QUOTE]

Gmail, ever heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back