The "X's Room Smells Fresh Because He Can No Longer Fart" OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dallow']Yeah, that's what got me to stop.

I used it in same puerile way as you and everyone else all the time even before Eno.[/QUOTE]

Ahaha, that's great how you feel you're superior to all these so called children.

[quote name='dallow']Slip of the keys.[/quote]
No, it wasn't.
[quote name='dallow']Did you read it?

'course not.[/quote]
Did I read the Morrissey article?

What does that have to do with you thinking it was "no-nothing"?

The only thing I feel superior about is my taste in Art.
That is it.

But that's how I feel about everyone I meet.

I'm just as flawed and broken as the rest of you.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, that's what I said Zew.[/QUOTE]

If this post is sarcastic, then what did you mean by saying puerile? Was it necessary? Or, did you use it to feel better about yourself?

But you're not good at any form of art, yourself, dallow... You're merely a consumer of art.

[quote name='manthing']Ok, how we gonna do the band?

JFD= ?
Sean's gotta sing! He's soooooo good! :cool:
I'll fuck up either the bass or lead
monoyoke=?

Err..maybe not.

:ds: Space Invaders extreme is :drool:[/quote]

I can do most songs on Expert with any instrument (including vocals).

[quote name='Brak']Well...

The Sheriff's dream of his father is symbolism for the old generation not leaving a pure, clear path for the new generation. The dream was something to the effect of seeing his father on horseback at night, carrying a torch... and his father simply riding by him, off into the darkness.

The Sheriff related to his father, in this dream, because he, too, was becoming a relic of the past, in his retirement -- the old generation leaving the keys to the castle to the new generation.

If you noticed, the Sheriff did a poor job of teaching the young deputy his ways, and cuing him in on his suspicions -- the young deputy, who will take his place in retirement.

The Sheriff was in stoic awe of the way things were dissolving in the world, and wanted to help, but really couldn't... It's a downward spiral, hence "No Country for Old Men".

Moss represented the new generation. Moss wasn't a bad man, in essence... but he was confused with what was right and wrong. This was represented in his action, but especially when he returned to the proverbial "scene of the crime" to give the suffering Mexican some water, which he should have done hours ago. That showed that, while he makes mistakes, there is a part of him that is good... but the old generation didn't teach him well, and his selfish mistakes killed him and his wife.

Chigurh was an element outside of the new and old generations. I think this is so because of the Sheriff's voice over at the beginning of the film, about the sociopath who shot that judge in cold blood, generations ago.

Chigurh made off with the money and killed Moss' wife. I know this because there were clues sprinkled throughout the film.

When Chigurh left her home, he checked his boots for blood. Throughout the film, Chigurh avoided getting blood on his clothes. When he strangled the police officer with his handcuffs, and blood spurted from the cop's neck, Chigurh turned his head to avoid and blood to splash on his face. When Chigurh killed the Mexicans in that hotel room, he shielded himself with the shower curtain when he shot the Mexican hiding in the bath tub. When Chigurh killed Carson Wells, and when the blood pool began flowing towards his boots, he put his feet up on the table. (I think there was one more instance, but I can't remember right now.)

He was a creature of habit and had his own, twisted principles. The "If you see him, you're as good as dead", or whatever the line was that Carson Wells said about him, is a part of his principles -- along with keeping his clothes fresh and clean.

There were two instances in the film where he didn't kill people who saw him. One was the fat broad in the trailer park. You could tell he was going to, but didn't... because a toilet flushed in the background - someone else was there - and he was too much of a pro to make a mistake.

The other instance was after his car accident -- where he bypassed his own principles by telling the two boys, "You didn't see me." That was more for himself, then for what he wanted them to tell the cops.

The other part of his principles was the coin, and this is the other clue how I know he killed Moss' wife (aside from him checking his boots) -- she refused to call it. He promised Moss that he'd kill her, and he did -- but she refused to call it. He broke his own law. He was a force; a phantom... He'd always know where you were, he'd always find the money, he'd always be able to walk among us without losing a step... but because he broke his own law, that's why he got nailed in that car accident. It knocked the stars out of alignment, and you could feel that he knew something bad was going to happen while he was driving, and gazing into the rearview mirror.

(The chance of getting in a car accident also eloquently parallels that of a coin toss.)

And I believe that he survived that accident. A compound fracture is lethal, because of infection... but because he was a such a force, and because they showed how he handled his shotgun wound, he definitely survived.

Evil never dies.

I came up with that without reading the book or reading any other opinions online... so that's merely my take.

Then again, I'm always right.[/quote]

I'm on board with 99% of that. I had a different take on the dream part though.

I took the dream that he told his wife (?) to be symbolism of his father dying and leaving him alone -- he said that his father was carrying fire in a bone that looked like moonlight or something like that, I think? I figured he was saying he believed his father was waiting for him in the next life -- and now that he was retired, that was all he really had to look forward too.

I was more trying to figure out his conversation with the really old guy in the run down house at the very end... the last sentence after Chigurh walked away with the broken arm, when it cuts back and he says something to the man in the wheelchair -- I was a bit baffled about why that line was in there.

The end of the film, otherwise, wasn't even close to being as bad as some people in here made it out to be. Not bad... just strange.

Puerile is one of the words I use to describe immature and childish things.

It's not inherently a 'bad word'.

[quote name='brak'] But you're not good at any form of art, yourself, dallow... You're merely a consumer of art.
[/quote]I appreciate it. I am the spectator, the audience.
I didn't call myself an Artist.

[quote name='prmononoke']I can do most songs on Expert with any instrument (including vocals).[/quote]
How about you on expert vocals, me on expert drums, Sean on expert guitar and Manthing on...medium guitar. :lol:

But I get the funny feeling you think you're an artist because you appreciate art. :lol:

No, I just cut a little something out Jimbo.
You will too. I hope.

[quote name='brak'] But I get the funny feeling you think you're an artist because you appreciate art. :lol:
[/quote]I wish. But I lost my creative side a long time ago. I'm just a critic. (aka, a failed artist)

What did you cut out, dallow?

I've been meaning to stop saying bad words so much here on the internet, cause it really damages my internet and real life reputations when I'm saying crap like ''fuck you, $$$$a!!!!!''

The internet is everything to me. :[

[quote name='dallow']No, I just cut a little something out Jimbo.
You will too. I hope.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can work on that superiority complex as your next project.

Actually, I never tried being an artist.

I always wanted to be a professional baseball player.
Didn't quite work out.

[quote name='zew']
Maybe you can work on that superiority complex as your next project.
[/quote]Nah, I like my ego. That's why I

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I'm on board with 99% of that. I had a different take on the dream part though.

I took the dream that he told his wife (?) to be symbolism of his father dying and leaving him alone -- he said that his father was carrying fire in a bone that looked like moonlight or something like that, I think? I figured he was saying he believed his father was waiting for him in the next life -- and now that he was retired, that was all he really had to look forward too.

I was more trying to figure out his conversation with the really old guy in the run down house at the very end... the last sentence after Chigurh walked away with the broken arm, when it cuts back and he says something to the man in the wheelchair -- I was a bit baffled about why that line was in there.

The end of the film, otherwise, wasn't even close to being as bad as some people in here made it out to be. Not bad... just strange.[/QUOTE]
I've only seen the film twice, but if I recall, his father never looked down at him when he rode by; he never acknowledged him, and just rode by.

Also, there is a dream that the Coens creatively omitted, where the Sheriff dreamed that he was a boy, and that his father gave him some change to run to the store and buy some things... but he lost the money. (Great symbolism, there.)

I really need to watch it a third time, I think, and analyze his exchange with his uncle, I believe it was... If I remember correctly, I think they spoke of the way things were, and alluded towards the way things were becoming.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']How about you on expert vocals, me on expert drums, Sean on expert guitar and Manthing on...medium guitar. :lol:[/quote]

I'll do vocals as long as my parents aren't home.

If we play when I'm not home alone, then I've gotta do something else.

But yeah, that sounds good.

[quote name='tiredfornow']What did you cut out, dallow?

I've been meaning to stop saying bad words so much here on the internet, cause it really damages my internet and real life reputations when I'm saying crap like ''fuck you, $$$$a!!!!!''

The internet is everything to me. :[[/quote]
Yeah, I should have stuck to being a faker.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']I'm not nearly an artist, artist.[/quote]

I thought I saw you at Wal-mart the other day, no joke. The dude had your haircut, style and everything.

[quote name='Brak']I actually don't like the word "artist".[/quote]

I actually don't like the word "art." When people describe music or film as "art," it sort of annoys me. It makes it seem way too pretentious. If you guys could hear me, I would mockingly imitate these people who say "art," using my pretentious voice, but...you can't hear me, so unfortunately, it's not as effective.

[quote name='zewone']What would you like to call someone who creates art?[/QUOTE]
What JFD said.

Actually, I prefer narrowing it down: Like "cartoonist", "writer", "filmmaker", etc.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']How about you on expert vocals, me on expert drums, Sean on expert guitar and Manthing on...medium guitar. :lol:[/quote]

How's about I do medium bass?

:oops:

[quote name='Brak']What JFD said.

Actually, I prefer narrowing it down: Like "cartoonist", "writer", "filmmaker", etc.[/QUOTE]

I can respect that.

I don't like how music, film, paintings, etc. all get lumped under art.

[quote name='Brak']What JFD said.

Actually, I prefer narrowing it down: Like "cartoonist", "writer", "filmmaker", etc.[/quote]

Exactly.

"Art" is such a broad term. People try to make "art," and it doesn't make any sense. When does something become art? I have no idea. I have no reason to use the term. I will apply the word "art" to paintings and sculptures, and that's about it.

[quote name='zewone']I can respect that.

I don't like how music, film, paintings, etc. all get lumped under art.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']I was at the Walmart in Edinburg about 2 days ago. Maybe it was me?[/quote]

I was grinning from afar because I was sure it was you, but then I came closer and his facial features changed in the blink of an eye. If it was you, you would have said hi, dummy.

I don't like how music, film, paintings, etc. all get lumped under art.[/quote]

Once again, exactly.

What I don't understand is why people want video games to be considered art. They are, first and foremost, entertainment. Can art be entertaining? I don't know, since I don't really know what art is.

I don't like how music, film, paintings, etc. all get lumped under art.[/quote]Why's that?
They're all artistic mediums and it's an easy way to put it all under one roof.

I guess the proper way to say it is 'the arts'.

[quote name='prmononoke']Exactly.

"Art" is such a broad term. People try to make "art," and it doesn't make any sense. When does something become art? [/QUOTE]

The people who use the term "art" to describe film, music, hell, even video games, I imagine they mean in the sense that the subject (i.e. the film or video game) is so beautiful/perfect that it transcends it's medium and becomes art.

I myself don't use the term (I'm not even close to pretentious enough), but I can see how someone would use the word art to describe such things.

But, I can also see where you're coming from and there really is no set criteria of what something has to do/be to be considered art.

Like you, I only use the term for paintings/sculptures/sculptures, etc.

What about Subway's Sandwich Artists? Where do they fall? I'll tell you, I put them in the category labeled "deliciousness".

[quote name='dallow']Why's that?

I guess the proper way to say it is 'the arts'.[/quote]

Amazingly enough, that last sentence doesn't bother me. "Arts," I am OK with.

[quote name='dallow']Why's that?

I guess the proper way to say it is 'the arts'.[/QUOTE]

I don't like it because they aren't the same thing.

A filmmaker to be considered artist is more than just making a movie, at least in my opinion. The guy directing Meet The Spartans is not an artist.

Soulja Boy is not an artist.

[quote name='prmononoke']Once again, exactly.

What I don't understand is why people want video games to be considered art. They are, first and foremost, entertainment. Can art be entertaining? I don't know, since I don't really know what art is.[/quote]

Well, like Brak mentioned earlier... You can narrow down art to a profession like the "cartoonist." So, yeah, some forms of art may be entertainment. Or maybe even the abstract art that needs to be analyzed. People get a kick out of analyzing art. That's entertainment, isn't it?

Reading helps PR.
It's a debate thousands of years old. There's plenty on the subject.

What is art?
How to define art? When is it fine, when is it just applied?

Yeah, Soulja Boy isn't an artist, no matter how much TFN says so.

[quote name='zewone']I don't like it because they aren't the same thing.

A filmmaker to be considered artist is more than just making a movie, at least in my opinion. The guy directing Meet The Spartans is not an artist.

Soulja Boy is not an artist.[/QUOTE]

Ya, and neither is a guy who draws a stick figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back