We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='whoknows']Yep. I've been holding off on playing WKC1 because of it.[/QUOTE]

Haha nice! So by the time you finish WKC1 I'll probably be ready to finally start WKC2 and we can play together :bouncy:

[quote name='Indignate']It's cuz she want's you to look. That's why she points it out. It immediately becomes the forefront of your attention.

Classic maneuver.[/QUOTE]
in the japanese version she says "don't smell!"

because she pooped her panties

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Black n Yellow[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking green and white.

We've had purple, red, blue, yellow, and pink for Catherine. A green color scheme would make sense.

[quote name='Cheska19']Are you really getting it? Because a couple of us are going to have some online gaming sessions after we beat the SP.
.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting it to, so let me know when jumping in on it.

[quote name='kainzero']in the japanese version she says "don't smell!"

because she pooped her panties[/QUOTE]

I threw up in my mouth and laughed at the same time.

I hope so. I've been wanting that game for a while now. Hopefully they say 'worldwide launch' because the Wii's lifecycle is coming to a close shortly.

[quote name='KingBroly']Hopefully they say 'worldwide launch' because the Wii's lifecycle is coming to a close shortly.[/QUOTE]
I could see a Twilight Princess-style simultaneous launch on Wii and Wii U.

Dragon Quest X is the only game that could get me to buy a Weeyoo even remotely soon after launch. I certainly hope that there's a port as it's likely our only hope of seeing the game outside of Japan. NoA and Square's publishing deal for DQ games is probably null after the lackluster-to-horrible sales of DQVI and DQM Joker 2 and the Wii will be deader than dead by the time DQX would even be ready for translation.

My Disgaea 4 premium edition came today which seems amazingly fast. I wasn't really expecting it until the middle of next week or something. The free shipping got it across the country in 2 days. That's impressive.

I must say I'm a little disappointed in it. I was expecting something on par with Atelier Rorona's and Neptunia's premium edition with the large box and artbook. The box is large, but it's thick rather than tall and wide. I imagine Totori's will be the same which will depress me since it look so different displayed next to Rorona.

[quote name='fwbweux']Dragon Quest X is the only game that could get me to buy a Weeyoo even remotely soon after launch. I certainly hope that there's a port as it's likely our only hope of seeing the game outside of Japan. NoA and Square's publishing deal for DQ games is probably null after the lackluster-to-horrible sales of DQVI and DQM Joker 2 and the Wii will be deader than dead by the time DQX would even be ready for translation.[/QUOTE]
Jesus Christ, that would be a sad state of affairs if the West didn't even receive a number series Dragon Quest game. What is this, 1995?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Jesus Christ, that would be a sad state of affairs if the West didn't even receive a number series Dragon Quest game. What is this, 1995?[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, there's almost no chance it won't be localized. We'll get it.

[quote name='fwbweux']In terms of how we're getting shafted on localizations recently, yeah, it might as well be 1995.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bvharris']Don't worry, there's almost no chance it won't be localized. We'll get it.[/QUOTE]

I love your proverbial glass half-full/half-empty outlooks. :lol:

I'm on fwb's side on this one. Nintendo doesn't have the greatest history of supporting its prior console once a new model has been released.

[quote name='bvharris']Don't worry, there's almost no chance it won't be localized. We'll get it.[/QUOTE]

Xenoblade say hi.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']My Disgaea 4 premium edition came today which seems amazingly fast. I wasn't really expecting it until the middle of next week or something. The free shipping got it across the country in 2 days. That's impressive.

I must say I'm a little disappointed in it. I was expecting something on par with Atelier Rorona's and Neptunia's premium edition with the large box and artbook. The box is large, but it's thick rather than tall and wide. I imagine Totori's will be the same which will depress me since it look so different displayed next to Rorona.[/QUOTE]

I am guessing Gamestop weren't happy with the biggest box and they change it to the same as other LE

[quote name='Cheska19']Xenoblade say hi.[/QUOTE]

The situations are not remotely comparable.

You guys are ignoring a few crucial factors:

1) Unlike Mistwalker or Monolith Soft, Square-Enix would be more than capable of publishing Dragon Quest X in the West themselves if Nintendo doesn't. Square-Enix publishes games. In fact that's most of what they do. And they do it in the West.

2) Looking at sales of Dragon Quest VI and DQM:J2 is pretty moot to this discussion. Nintendo threw a hell of a lot of marketing weight behind Dragon Quest IX (Seth Green!) and the game sold over a million copies in the West, which I think would be considered a success.

3) Dragon Quest isn't some new IP from a lesser known developer. Main series Dragon Quest games are made, and then they're released here. That's been the status quo for a decade.

I know that localization Chicken Little-ing is the "it" thing these days (after all we've had two thread titles out of the last three dedicated to it), and I know we're all sensitive about Nintendo + Localization factor right now (for good reason), but I think sometimes it ventures into :roll: territory.

[quote name='thelonepig']I love your proverbial glass half-full/half-empty outlooks. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Fwb and I have been doing this for years. It's one of our proudest traditions. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of this whole discussion, XENOBLADE GET!

109_1701.png

109_1706.png

And sorry, bv, but this debate has now released my pessimism limiter.

1) Unlike Mistwalker or Monolith Soft, Square-Enix would be more than capable of publishing Dragon Quest X in the West themselves if Nintendo doesn't. Square-Enix publishes games. In fact that's most of what they do. And they do it in the West.
Sigma Harmonics, Blood of Bahamut, Front Mission 2089, the SaGa remakes, Nanashi no Game (which they infamously didn't localize because a focus group made up of FPS bros didn't like it), and soon to be Final Fantasy Type-0, all in the past few years. While they still have an overall positive localization record, they've had their fair share of games stranded in Japan. I anticipate that this will become worse over time as Square's acquisition of Eidos nets them far more Western money than their small-scale RPG localizations have, and there's no guarantee that they would have ever brought over Dragon Quest VI or IX had Nintendo not stepped in. Dragon Quest V bombed horribly and didn't receive a second print run until recently, and Square was very quiet on the franchise for a long time afterward.

2) Looking at sales of Dragon Quest VI and DQM:J2 is pretty moot to this discussion. Nintendo threw a hell of a lot of marketing weight behind Dragon Quest IX (Seth Green!) and the game sold over a million copies in the West, which I think would be considered a success.
Nintendo is known to abandon their publishing partners at the first sign that they're not making money hand over fist for Nintendo. They partnered with Koei to make Samurai Warriors 3 a Wii exclusive, but when it didn't sell as much as the average numbered Warriors game in Japan Nintendo dragged their feet on the localization forever, then finally released it in Europe months before North America and sent it to die here. Nintendo neither helped finance nor offered to publish any further games from the company afterward. Koei went on to remake Samurai Warriors 3 for PS3, but they can't release it here because Nintendo has their balls in a vice concerning rights to the localization and publishing.

I don't see how DQVI and DQMJ2's poor performance is moot, as this is the very thing for which Nintendo will kick a publishing partner to the curb. If Nintendo saw continued potential in the Dragon Quest franchise, they would have advertised VI and Joker 2 significantly more than they did (read: not at all.)

3) Dragon Quest isn't some new IP from a lesser known developer. Main series Dragon Quest games are made, and then they're released here. That's been the status quo for a decade.
Again, after Square's acquisition of Eidos, they no longer need to support JRPGs outside of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts to succeed in the West. There's no indication that DQ has ever been considered a core Square-Enix IP outside of Japan, sadly.

I'm not going to refute you point by point, since I think we both know that if one of us could have convinced the other it would have happened years ago. ;)

I look forward to playing Dragon Quest X when it is released here. Which it will be.

After putting a couple of hours into Xenoblade, I am really liking it. It isn't as deep as some rpg systems (so far, didn't get extremely far in), but some of the things like fast map traveling, quest completion for some quests when objectives are done, and other things are really nice. It's like they streamlined the game to be as painless as possible while still keeping it all the rpg elements in tact.

[quote name='bvharris']3) Dragon Quest isn't some new IP from a lesser known developer. Main series Dragon Quest games are made, and then they're released here. That's been the status quo for a decade.[/QUOTE]

While I pretty much agree with your optimistic outlook for the DQ series in America, I would like to say that some companies seem to have no qualms with stopping the release of a long running series which doesn't perform nearly as well outside of Japan. Capcom with the Ace Attorney series and Monster Hunter series is a good example.

Seriously, I want Monster Hunter Portable 3rd or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD. :bomb:

Also I want this localized:

250px-Monster_Hunter_Diary_Poka_Poka_Airu_Village_Cover_Art.jpg
830px-FelyneVillage-Bundle2.jpg

One thing we can all agree on: The more we discuss it now, the more likely it becomes that Monday's announcement will be some sort of Japanese Cell Phone-based spin-off, so maybe we should put this argument in abeyance until Monday when we have some actual information. :D

[quote name='bvharris']I'm not going to refute you point by point, since I think we both know that if one of us could have convinced the other it would have happened years ago. ;)

I look forward to playing Dragon Quest X when it is released here. Which it will be.[/QUOTE]

Whereas I'm looking forward to importing Dragon Quest X and muddling through it with my terrible comprehension of Japanese.

Hah, you know I just like to give you a hard time :lol: (though I do believe everything I'm saying)

[quote name='bvharris']One thing we can all agree on: The more we discuss it now, the more likely it becomes that Monday's announcement will be some sort of Japanese Cell Phone-based spin-off, so maybe we should put this argument in abeyance until Monday when we have some actual information. :D[/QUOTE]

Dragon Quest rhythm game for iOS! Count on it.

[quote name='fwbweux']Dragon Quest rhythm game for iOS! Count on it.[/QUOTE]

You joke, but I'm 1000 times more excited for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy than I am for FFXIII-2. And I don't even own a 3DS. ;)

[quote name='bvharris']You joke, but I'm 1000 times more excited for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy than I am for FFXIII-2. And I don't even own a 3DS. ;)[/QUOTE]

At least it looks like Theaterhythm will actually have Lightning as a playable character unlike what XIII-2 initially trolled us all into believing.

[quote name='panzerfaust']well hopefully we're in for a surprise. i can't have a 2 person main cast for 40 hours.

well, i could. but not them.[/QUOTE]
Probably more like 100 hours if you're going for the 1000.

I just threw up in my mouth a little

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Probably more like 100 hours if you're going for the 1000.

I just threw up in my mouth a little[/QUOTE]

But the hellish grind will be totally different this time as you'll be fighting with Adamantoises, not against them! Preordered ten copies.

At this point I'm praying for Hope to be playable. Says it all really.

(Although to be honest, I really didn't think Hope was all that bad a character in XIII. I kept him in the playable party for most of the story. The worst thing about him was the ridiculous outfit, and everybody has new clothes in XIII-2, so...)

Damnit, the further discovery that this is actually in the game (I thought they were just creating plushes) makes me want Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Felyne Village even more. :cry:

HelloKitty-Felyne.png
HelloKittyHouse01.jpg

The Light+Hope part in Gapra Whitewood was one of my favorite segments. I liked how the battle dialogue changed so you'd hear Light giving some words of encouragement and all.

It seemed they got lazy with those small but awesome details in the 2nd half of the game.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The Light+Hope part in Gapra Whitewood was one of my favorite segments. I liked how the battle dialogue changed so you'd hear Light giving some words of encouragement and all.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I actually thought the sorta mentor/student relationship between Light and Hope was one of the best parts of the story, despite the cheesiness of the whole "Operation Nora" aspect.

[quote name='panzerfaust']well hopefully we're in for a surprise. i can't have a 2 person main cast for 40 hours.

well, i could. but not them.[/QUOTE]

You won't have to deal with just the two of themfor 40-100 hours!!

You'll have them AND a monster!!!

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You'll have them AND a monster!!![/QUOTE]

It's almost like I'm playing Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World!

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You won't have to deal with just the two of themfor 40-100 hours!!

You'll have them AND a monster!!![/QUOTE]

The whole time I was playing XIII I was thinking "man, this game would be a million times better if I could just have a Flandragora in my party."

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, I actually thought the sorta mentor/student relationship between Light and Hope was one of the best parts of the story, despite the cheesiness of the whole "Operation Nora" aspect.[/QUOTE]

Oh god, if that's one of the best parts I'm sooo glad I quit shortly after.

[quote name='icebeast']it's almost like i'm playing tales of symphonia: Dawn of the new world![/quote]

i don't want to remember that game....

[quote name='Cheska19']Haha nice! So by the time you finish WKC1 I'll probably be ready to finally start WKC2 and we can play together :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I'll be up for that. I've heard the online is awesome so I'm highly interested.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']i don't want to remember that game....[/QUOTE]

I still want to play that game.

For the Tales combat naturally.

Although I can probably just play Vesperia instead.

[quote name='Indignate']I still want to play that game.

For the Tales combat naturally.

Although I can probably just play Vesperia instead.
[/QUOTE]

That's understandable.
I can easily recommend just about any other Tales game over ToS: Dawn of the New World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back