Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Cheapskate']So when does the Wii U get its own CAG subforum?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we should wait until the console has actually been released?

[quote name='Richard Kain']Perhaps we should wait until the console has actually been released?[/QUOTE]

Cause there's still a chance Nintendo might not release it? :whistle2:s

It has been mentioned before, the forum section will more than likely just be renamed Wii U / Wii, similar to the 3DS / DS / GBA section, so I wouldn't expect a separate forum at this point.

I just heard Wii Tvii supports all cable/satellite providers in the US. I am really excited by this because I don't have to ever turn off my Wii-U now. I can just go from gaming, to TV watching to netflix, all in one device. I mean ok sure it's not that hard to switch to my DTV box, but at the same time, having everything integrated into one device sounds really awesome. Assuming it acts just like a satellite/cable box where it comes from the satellite not the internet.

Assuming I could potentially use Wii-Tvii and game at the same time, oh how wonderful my life will become.

Man, it would be kind of cool if Nintendo went back and did a 3D Mario using the worlds and levels in Super Mario World or Super Mario 3. Or hell, another Paper Mario would be great or another Mario RPG would be awesome if they could somehow get Square-Enix to do it. Give me Dragon Quest in the Mario Universe.

[quote name='crunchewy']No cable/satellite/FiOS TV here, just an antenna, so I guess that TVii thing is of no use to me. Or is it?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I am curious about this too. I really feel like there is going to be someone, somewhere, that can find a way to exploit it and then I'm going to be able to get free tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah I mean not that HD remakes are bad, but oh a true HD Okami :drool:.[/QUOTE]

Ah, OK. Well, I have yet to play it despite buying it several times so I will probably finally play when the HD version comes out.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I just heard Wii Tvii supports all cable/satellite providers in the US. I am really excited by this because I don't have to ever turn off my Wii-U now. I can just go from gaming, to TV watching to netflix, all in one device. I mean ok sure it's not that hard to switch to my DTV box, but at the same time, having everything integrated into one device sounds really awesome. Assuming it acts just like a satellite/cable box where it comes from the satellite not the internet.

Assuming I could potentially use Wii-Tvii and game at the same time, oh how wonderful my life will become.[/QUOTE]

I hope that is really the case and they don't just mean "major" cable providers. I have rinky-dink local cable and often we are excluded from those sorts of deals. Same with ISP providers - mine wasn't supported with the Xbox 360 ESPN stuff - I tried to fire it up and it simply said my ISP didn't support it. That was nice since the damn feature was blast-advertized on the dashboard all the time :bomb:.

So I'm hesitant about this whole Wii TVii thing until I see it actually working. I'm just not considering that a feature or a reason for owning the WiiU at this point. Fortunately there are other good reasons ;).

[quote name='io']Ah, OK. Well, I have yet to play it despite buying it several times so I will probably finally play when the HD version comes out.

I hope that is really the case and they don't just mean "major" cable providers. I have rinky-dink local cable and often we are excluded from those sorts of deals. Same with ISP providers - mine wasn't supported with the Xbox 360 ESPN stuff - I tried to fire it up and it simply said my ISP didn't support it. That was nice since the damn feature was blast-advertized on the dashboard all the time :bomb:.

So I'm hesitant about this whole Wii TVii thing until I see it actually working. I'm just not considering that a feature or a reason for owning the WiiU at this point. Fortunately there are other good reasons ;).[/QUOTE]

If there was a way to make my Wii-U a legitimate DVR, I would go nuts since I don't own one. I hope that it is the case, seeing as it has storage space and we can add our own HDD.

As far as a 3D Mario game is concerned, I would love a new 3D Mario game with exploration like 64 and sunshine except bigger. It would be nice to have alot of power ups and let us play as other characters who have different abilities. Bringing back blue coins for us pros would be sweet as well. :lol: I just hope that the next 3D Mario is something truly special.

Oh yea, if Square comes around and does another Super Mario RPG, that would be fantastic. Hopefully they take on alot more projects than just Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts remakes next generation.

[quote name='Josh5890']If there was a way to make my Wii-U a legitimate DVR, I would go nuts since I don't own one. I hope that it is the case, seeing as it has storage space and we can add our own HDD.[/QUOTE]

They already said it won't, it will just interface with Tivo. (I assume Tivo Premeres only. It would be nice if it supported my TivoHD, but I doubt that would happen.)

[quote name='TheLongshot']They already said it won't, it will just interface with Tivo. (I assume Tivo Premeres only. It would be nice if it supported my TivoHD, but I doubt that would happen.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah TiVo has really given the shaft to pre-Premier owners. I have a secondary unit that is Premier but I prefer the TiVoHD, so that's on my main television.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']It has been mentioned before, the forum section will more than likely just be renamed Wii U / Wii, similar to the 3DS / DS / GBA section, so I wouldn't expect a separate forum at this point.[/QUOTE]

I think the 3DS/DS/GBA thing is only because its a handheld...notice the same thing was done with the Vita/PSP forum, but all consoles get their own subforum.

I'm really glad the deluxe Wii U is black cause my 360, PS3, Sega Sports Dreamcast, and Wii are all conected to my HDTV and the Wii is the only one that stands out cause it is white while the other 3 consoles are black. Now I can replace the Wii's spot with the Wii U and all my consoles will be the same color. :D

[quote name='Metal Militia']I'm really glad the deluxe Wii U is black cause my 360, PS3, Sega Sports Dreamcast, and Wii are all conected to my HDTV and the Wii is the only one that stands out cause it is white while the other 3 consoles are black. Now I can replace the Wii's spot with the Wii U and all my consoles will be the same color. :D[/QUOTE]Nice little sig you have there (I'm a Bulls fan since I use to come from the Midwest).

Anyway, I'm glad there's a black WiiU also. Goes better in my entertainment center.

I am really not liking the shaft that they are giving Pokemon on the consoles, The PokePark games are an abombnation IMO and Battle Revolution was OK but I need more than just battling, and there is no sign of another console RPG in the works which means I will probably be waiting 5-6 years for one if it ever even happens.

At least they are supporting the handheld by releasing Pokemon Black and White 2 on the DS.

I'm not sure if this got posted already or if it has been updated more recently, but there are several little tidbits I didn't know:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Trivia

Highlights:

Gamepad:
■The Wii U GamePad has limited "best performance" range from the console of about 24 feet (8 meters).
■The Wii U GamePad must plug into the wall to recharge (not the actual Wii U console) and uses its own AC adapter -- it is not USB-based.
■The Wii U GamePad can still serve as a map and inventory management tool if you play a game with the Pro Controller.
■The Wii U GamePad will run 3-5 hours on a full charge and takes 2.5 hours to fully recharge.

Multitasking:
■You can access the Internet Browser on the GamePad while playing a game or watching YouTube or television. When accessing the browser during gameplay, the browser will automatically provide search results relevant to the title.

Wii backwards compatibility:
■Keep your Wii handy if you want to complete a data transfer from your Wii to your Wii U. Both consoles and an SD card are required to move your old content to your new machine.
■Wii games cannot be played on the GamePad screen -- that goes for Virtual Console titles as well.

Wii U Internal Software:
■The digital features built-in to the Wii U on launch day will include an Internet Browser, access to the eShop, video chat and Nintendo TVii.
■While the 3DS featured a suite of built-in games like Face Raiders and Find Mii, the Wii U will launch with no built-in games.
■The Wii U can take screenshots of TV and games and share them over the Internet.

Wii U games
■First-Party Wii U launch titles will run at 720p at launch, not 1080p.
■Most-Third Party Launch titles will run in 1080p, and 60 frames per second.
■Most first-party Wii U games will also be available digitally unless they require an accessory like the microphone in Sing Party.

The first-party games being 720p but third-party being 1080p is interesting.

Kind of disappointed there will be no fun built-in software to mess around with like on the 3DS. It could really use a nice little demo game of Wii U gamepad functionality. But perhaps there will be things you can download later.

The relatively short battery life of the pad could be an issue - especially for epic RPGs like DQ X ;). But on the flip side it is great that the pad can still be used when using the Pro Controller. So that means essentially the Pro Controller just replaces the stick/button functions on the pad and will probably be compatible with most (if not all) games. Knowing that I will probably preorder one to take some of the wear and tear off the Gamepad.

Also kind of interesting that they are pushing the digital distribution so hard (even more than MS and Sony) especially given the small storage on the system. Yes, it is expandable, but just a couple of games and you are probably pushing the Deluxe's built-in storage limit.

[quote name='io']
The first-party games being 720p but third-party being 1080p is interesting.[/QUOTE]

Not surprising though given the system is on par with this gen.

The Wii U GamePad can still serve as a map and inventory management tool if you play a game with the Pro Controller.

Now, that's pretty cool.

Battery life is terrible. So essentially it will have to be plugged in after every session otherwise you risk it dying on you the next session.

The battery life on the gamepad is a little disappointing, I agree. I assume you can play with it plugged into the wall though. While a little annoying, would work for long RPG play sessions.

Really cool that you can hit up the internet while playing. Sure you could do that with any tablet, but who knows where it is when you need it. The gamepad will always be right there while playing.

[quote name='Corvin']Not surprising though given the system is on par with this gen.

Now, that's pretty cool.

Battery life is terrible. So essentially it will have to be plugged in after every session otherwise you risk it dying on you the next session.[/QUOTE]

Is there a wall wart for the Gamepad or a USB cable to plug into the Wii U?

[quote name='cochesecochese']I'll just buy a second pad and alternate them. No problem.[/QUOTE]

Seems reasonable ;-) May have to get a different color for two player games.

That short battery life is a bummer. I wonder if anyone will make extended batteries for it? Mind you, we'd not normally run into this wall as I sure can't play more than 4 hours straight any more, but there has been the occasion or two where we let the boys and their friends stay up as late as they wanted to during a sleepover. Then they'd run into it, so I guess they'd have to play with it plugged in. It's too bad the thing doesn't use standard AA batteries so we could use our Eneloops in it. That would be *greatly* preferable and would solve the problem. Just swap with charged batteries.

[quote name='icyjones']Really cool that you can hit up the internet while playing. Sure you could do that with any tablet, but who knows where it is when you need it. The gamepad will always be right there while playing.[/QUOTE]

Well, there have been many times that I've searched online for help with my phone for a game I was playing, so I'm sure quite a few will be using this.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Well, there have been many times that I've searched online for help with my phone for a game I was playing, so I'm sure quite a few will be using this.[/QUOTE]

Gamefaqs. And if it pops that up automatically for whatever you're playing, that's pretty cool.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Not surprised first party Wii-U games are only 720p, Nintendo has had no experience with HD.

Although 1080p 60 fps is nice to hear.[/QUOTE]

Plus it seems every First Party game will offer two screen play in some fashion so it is actually 720p + 480P (assuming the FWVGA specs are right).

Im curious to see just how much some devs with time will be able to eke out of such an unusual setup.

[quote name='foltzie']Plus it seems every First Party game will offer two screen play in some fashion so it is actually 720p + 480P (assuming the FWVGA specs are right).

Im curious to see just how much some devs with time will be able to eke out of such an unusual setup.[/QUOTE]
I'd be much happier with 720p + 480p with as close to 60fps as possible. Once you cross over into 720p territory I care more about fps than the extra resolution, personally.

Does anybody know if the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 will have a couch coop campaign? I think I read somewhere that one person will play on the TV while the other plays through the touch screen

[quote name='Metal Militia']Does anybody know if the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 will have a couch coop campaign? I think I read somewhere that one person will play on the TV while the other plays through the touch screen[/QUOTE]
I haven't been paying attention to COD at all but you post made me interested in it so I looked it up and here it is:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...ew-hardcore-shooter-on-nintendos-new-console/

"Most excitingly, the GamePad will be able to serve as a second screen for local multiplayer, which means no more split-screen play when it's you and a buddy on the couch."

This one just says two player modes:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-confirmed-for-wii-u/

"More interesting, the GamePad can be used as an entire second screen in two-player modes, allowing one player to play on the TV screen, and the other to play on the GamePad."

I'm not sure if it means co-op or taking a friend online with you. Either way it's a nice feature.

[quote name='crunchewy']That short battery life is a bummer. I wonder if anyone will make extended batteries for it? Mind you, we'd not normally run into this wall as I sure can't play more than 4 hours straight any more, but there has been the occasion or two where we let the boys and their friends stay up as late as they wanted to during a sleepover. Then they'd run into it, so I guess they'd have to play with it plugged in. It's too bad the thing doesn't use standard AA batteries so we could use our Eneloops in it. That would be *greatly* preferable and would solve the problem. Just swap with charged batteries.[/QUOTE]

The eneloops would probably die too quick, or you would need to stick 6-8 of them in there to get the same power the gamepad's battery has, and that would obviously be impractical. Hopefully the battery on the gamepad will be replace-able by the user, which would solve the problem if you could buy an extra battery and swap it in. Otherwise you are most likely going to have to buy a new, very expensive gamepad in 2-3 years or be forced to keep it plugged into the wall once the battery dies.

Its worth noting that you might have to buy another battery if your battery does actually lose its charge, because I just received a GBA SP with a dead battery, and when you plugged it in the light just flashed on it, you can't keep it plugged in and just play off the wall outlet with a dead battery. When I put a good battery in the gameboy it played fine. If the battery isn't able to be replaced by the user, then you will be out the cost of a game pad. Though I assume someone with electronics skills would be able to replace the battery no matter what regardless as long as a replacement battery was able to be sourced.

I am gonna bet someone will come out with a USB cord that will fit the gamepad, it seems very odd Nintendo didn't go with USB on this one, unless the game pad is too power hungry for USB, much like the iPad is (iPad's can't be charged with a normal 1amp USB charger). As if I was buying this I would have to fit ANOTHER charger on my power strip which will not fit, thus I would have to upgrade to a larger power strip for this wall outlet just to hold all my chargers instead of just being able to stick the Gamepad's USB cord into a charger that I already have plugged in. This becomes a real pain.

gah, i need my wii and sd card to do a system transfer? are my 3 virtual console games really that worth the current TIV promo? meh...i guess not.

Trying to clarify if the Wii U will output 720p using the Wii component cable. I just sent nintendo this email asking them this. I will let you know the response I receive.

Hi. I'm very excited about the Wii U. In fact I preordered a deluxe set a few days after it being announced. My question regards hookup up of the Wii U. My Wii is currently hooked up to my 720p LCD with Component video cables (green, red, blue video plugs and red/white audio plugs) which gives me 480p from the wii. I know the Wii U does 720p and I know the component cable I have my wii hooked up to will physically fit the Wii U. My question is will the Wii U output 720p to my HDTV using my current Wii component cable. I can't find an answer for this anywhere and since my lcd only has one hdmi port I need to know before receiving my Wii U. Also, will I be able to transfer my Wii games and game saves over to the Wii U? Does the Wii U show play history like the Wii and if so will it show the play history for my Wii games and Virtual consoles games? Thanks so much for any information you can give me regarding this.

Was in NYC today and we took our kids to the Nintendo World Store. I was hoping they'd have the WiiU on display. They did not. :( I asked the greeting person and they didn't know when they'd have it on display, but the guy standing next to him with a different shirt had an off the record answer - two more weeks. So anyone in NYC or thereabout might want to check them out in a few weeks.

[quote name='crunchewy']Was in NYC today and we took our kids to the Nintendo World Store. I was hoping they'd have the WiiU on display. They did not. :( I asked the greeting person and they didn't know when they'd have it on display, but the guy standing next to him with a different shirt had an off the record answer - two more weeks. So anyone in NYC or thereabout might want to check them out in a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Cool. It's a block from my office so I'll definitely check it out.

[quote name='ps2emotions']Trying to clarify if the Wii U will output 720p using the Wii component cable. I just sent nintendo this email asking them this. I will let you know the response I receive.

Hi. I'm very excited about the Wii U. In fact I preordered a deluxe set a few days after it being announced. My question regards hookup up of the Wii U. My Wii is currently hooked up to my 720p LCD with Component video cables (green, red, blue video plugs and red/white audio plugs) which gives me 480p from the wii. I know the Wii U does 720p and I know the component cable I have my wii hooked up to will physically fit the Wii U. My question is will the Wii U output 720p to my HDTV using my current Wii component cable. I can't find an answer for this anywhere and since my lcd only has one hdmi port I need to know before receiving my Wii U. Also, will I be able to transfer my Wii games and game saves over to the Wii U? Does the Wii U show play history like the Wii and if so will it show the play history for my Wii games and Virtual consoles games? Thanks so much for any information you can give me regarding this.[/QUOTE]

Hello Matt,

Thank you for contacting us. I can certainly appreciate your interest in finding out more about Wii U so you can be prepared when it is launched! I can tell you Wii U will be compatible with the component cables you have for your Wii console, which should work to output 720p on your TV. In case you were not already aware, the system also comes with a high-speed HDMI cable which is capable of going up to 1080p.

Regarding your question about transferring Wii games and save data, I can tell you that we are planning to make it possible to perform a system transfer from a Wii console to a Wii U console. This process will transfer any Wii Shop Channel purchases over to the new system; however, at this time we do not have more details to know if this will also include any save data on your Wii console. I know you were hoping for a confirmation about this, and I can only recommend that you continue checking our website as more information is released.

It is worth noting that to perform a system transfer from a Wii console to a Wii U will require an Internet connection, an SD card for the Wii U console, and you must have both systems in your possession.

We also do not have any information to suggest if Wii U might have a way to view your play history for games like the Wii console has. Again, I know you were hoping for more information, and I appreciate your understanding.

If you have any further questions or concerns you are welcome to contact us again. In the meantime, everything we have available to share regarding Wii U has been added to our website. On our website you can find additional details, such as the price, many of this system's innovating features, and a lineup of the games that will be released for this magnificent new home console. Here's a direct link:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu

Sincerely,

Crystal L. Odam
Nintendo of America Inc.

[quote name='Cheapskate']What am I not seeing?[/QUOTE]

EA announced Mass Effect Trilogy for 360 and PC to release on November 7th, with PS3 coming at a later unknown date, the first game included, something thought to be impossible due to publishing rights. Essentially they're releasing this Trilogy for people who have never played a Mass Effect game before, but aren't going to bring it out on the platform where the potential audience is likely to have not played it before, and therefore won't get the complete story when EA has clearly shown interest in releasing the full story together on other platforms.

Wii U buyers are getting shafted REALLY badly here. And unfortunately, it will likely lead EA to say 'we won't support Wii U because our games don't sell on it' when they basically compromised sales of ME3:SE by releasing Trilogy on other platforms and not Wii U.

[quote name='KingBroly']
Wii U buyers are getting shafted REALLY badly here. And unfortunately, it will likely lead EA to say 'we won't support Wii U because our games don't sell on it' when they basically compromised sales of ME3:SE by releasing Trilogy on other platforms and not Wii U.[/QUOTE]

If they did the Trilogy for Wii-U I might have bought it just to show Wii-U support (I love ME 1 and 2, but you could not pay me to play ME 3 again). I have no interest in buying ME3. Hell, I don't even know an EA game I do have interest in anymore.

oh...i thought you didn't want to give EA money anymore because of the new Origins EULA where they store your info and save it for their marketing and other purposes.

[quote name='100xp']oh...i thought you didn't want to give EA money anymore because of the new Origins EULA where they store your info and save it for their marketing and other purposes.[/QUOTE]
#-o

Well I might never buy an EA game again. I mean the last good EA game I played was ME 2 (or Dragon Age 1, forgot which came first).

Yeah I've been saying all along that ME3 as a release makes no goddamn sense. Who would buy it? A collection of the trilogy with all DLC and revamped Wii U controls makes plenty of sense I would snatch that right up. But no, let's release the 3rd entry in a very layered series where the whole theme is the decisions you make throughout the series matter.

^I was kind of hoping they would come out and say "surprise - we were planning the trilogy for wii u all along!", but alas. I kind of wanted to buy the Wii version and mess around with the touch controls- but when it sits side by side with the trilogy for the same price, I just can't pull the trigger.

It might be wishful thinking, but EA might release Mass Effect 1 & 2 on the eShop. They are confirmed to be releasing Mass Effect 1 on PSN as a separate download sometime after November 6.

[quote name='coolz481']It might be wishful thinking, but EA might release Mass Effect 1 & 2 on the eShop. They are confirmed to be releasing Mass Effect 1 on PSN as a separate download sometime after November 6.[/QUOTE]

It's still not a good deal for Wii U buyers though. You'd basically be asking ME3:SE buyers to pay an extra $30-$40 total for the other 2 games after they've already played through the final act.

I bet it's because the graphics in ME1, while good, aren't going to be as nice looking as Nintendo would like for a "next-gen" console (it is like 4 or 5 years old at this point). Maybe if they re-skinned it but that sounds like a lot of work...

Keep in mind that they had to port ME3 to the WiiU. It's not like it was just a re-release, which is what the trilogy is on the other platforms (with the exception of ME1 on PS3). I'm not saying it's a good deal, but bringing ME1 and 2 to the WiiU would be a lot more effort than it was to just put the discs in a new box on the Xbox. Plus the trilogy is kind of stupid on the Xbox anyway - it's cheaper to buy the 3 games separately.

bread's done
Back