Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='crunchewy']Keep in mind that they had to port ME3 to the WiiU. It's not like it was just a re-release, which is what the trilogy is on the other platforms (with the exception of ME1 on PS3). I'm not saying it's a good deal, but bringing ME1 and 2 to the WiiU would be a lot more effort than it was to just put the discs in a new box on the Xbox. Plus the trilogy is kind of stupid on the Xbox anyway - it's cheaper to buy the 3 games separately.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it's gonna be a lot of work. It just looks bad when the Wii-U has only ME3 when around the same time, every other system gets the first two games in a collection for the same price.

No it isn't. There are lots of times when sequels only end up on a next gen system. This is aimed at showing the hard core gamers that these types of titles will be coming to WiiU. I just hope that EA doesn't make future decisions based off these sales numbers because it likely won't sell as well as the others, but not for reasons of system owner demographics (which they might mistakenly conclude).

[quote name='soonersfan60']No it isn't. There are lots of times when sequels only end up on a next gen system. This is aimed at showing the hard core gamers that these types of titles will be coming to WiiU. I just hope that EA doesn't make future decisions based off these sales numbers because it likely won't sell as well as the others, but not for reasons of system owner demographics (which they might mistakenly conclude).[/QUOTE]
What I would of loved is Dragon Age 1 just to show hey, touchscreen controls (as of touch to use ability) make this game almost as awesome as the PC game.

I am still glad they are bringing ME3 over but just the wrong time to announce a collection of ME games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am still glad they are bringing ME3 over but just the wrong time to announce a collection of ME games.[/QUOTE]
While I have no interest in playing ME in any form, I agree with the general consensus on this one.

On one hand, EA is shooting themselves in the foot by releasing the trilogy and the Wii U version simultaneously, potentially hurting sales on both sides.

On the other hand, at least they are showing their cards on the table prior to the Wii U release to avoid buyer's remorse, as I'm sure plenty of people would be upset if they plunked down $60 for the Wii U version, only to have the trilogy be announced a few months later.

Economically for them, staggering the releases seems to be the better solution anyways, but I what do I know?

I have a question, with the VC are they going to shut down the VC (aka the whole marketplace) for the original Wii console once the Wii U hits? I have some points stashed away and I need to know if I should spend them now before they become useless, thanks.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have a question, with the VC are they going to shut down the VC (aka the whole marketplace) for the original Wii console once the Wii U hits? I have some points stashed away and I need to know if I should spend them now before they become useless, thanks.[/QUOTE]
I believe they will still keep the old Wii Shop Channel up for just the Wii, so your current points will still be valid for some time.

According to this Nintendolife article, however, they may not be selling the old retail cards anymore, and you may have to rely on buying the points through the Wii Shop Channel in the future. I believe most (if not all) of the current Wii Shop Channel content will be available on the new Wii U eShop (if that is what it's called), not sure if the points will actually transfer from shop to shop, though.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I believe they will still keep the old Wii Shop Channel up for just the Wii, so your current points will still be valid for some time.

According to this Nintendolife article, however, they may not be selling the old retail cards anymore, and you may have to rely on buying the points through the Wii Shop Channel in the future. I believe most (if not all) of the current Wii Shop Channel content will be available on the new Wii U eShop (if that is what it's called), not sure if the points will actually transfer from shop to shop, though.[/QUOTE]

What I would like to see is the ability to buy only what you need and not in incremental amounts (like XBL as well) I still have 100 wii points I'll never use on my account all because I had to scour lists to see what I wanted and couldn't find anything that I wanted to cover that last 100 points, so it's been sitting on there and probably will forever.

I know the rumor that MS was planning to convert to real money might happen, so here's hoping Nintendo does the same.

[quote name='uncle5555']What I would like to see is the ability to buy only what you need and not in incremental amounts (like XBL as well) I still have 100 wii points I'll never use on my account all because I had to scour lists to see what I wanted and couldn't find anything that I wanted to cover that last 100 points, so it's been sitting on there and probably will forever.

I know the rumor that MS was planning to convert to real money might happen, so here's hoping Nintendo does the same.[/QUOTE]

That's already the case on 3DS, so it'll probably carry over to Wii U.

I have a several Wii Points cards that I better deal with one way or another. If that means dumping them onto my old Wii and buying games with the expectation that they all transfer to the Wii U then so be it. Or maybe I can just sell those cards. I dunno, but I better deal with it soon.

Hell, I still have a launch DSi system with the 1000 points that came with it - never used them.

And the conversion to real money would be the end of buying Xbox Live games for me for the most part. I really hope that never happens. Real money is never on sale or clearance - points cards are. That's why I'm pretty much never going to buy a game for the 3DS (or, I guess, the Wii U) - I'll just get the "free" ones from Club Nintendo. It is especially bad with Nintendo since they don't ever (or very infrequently at least) have their downloadable games on sale. On the 360 I love getting discounted/sale games even cheaper with discounted/sale points cards.

[quote name='io']
And the conversion to real money would be the end of buying Xbox Live games for me for the most part. I really hope that never happens. Real money is never on sale or clearance - points cards are. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. I never quite understood the anti-points argument. Sure you may end up with $.40 cents left in points in your account but if you saved $5 when you bought the card then who cares?

[quote name='Corvin']Agreed. I never quite understood the anti-points argument. Sure you may end up with $.40 cents left in points in your account but if you saved $5 when you bought the card then who cares?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I also like spending spacebucks as opposed to realbucks - seems to be easier psychologically to push the button.

[quote name='io']And the conversion to real money would be the end of buying Xbox Live games for me for the most part. I really hope that never happens. Real money is never on sale or clearance - points cards are.[/QUOTE]

That's not really true, though. As long as they sell cards worth $X on the Xbox, those will go on sale sometimes. See iTunes cards. They are discounted occasionally and those have real $ equivalent value.

Ex: Office Max currently has a sale, buy 2x $25 iTunes cards and save $10. So $50 for $40.

[quote name='crunchewy']That's not really true, though. As long as they sell cards worth $X on the Xbox, those will go on sale sometimes. See iTunes cards. They are discounted occasionally and those have real $ equivalent value.

Ex: Office Max currently has a sale, buy 2x $25 iTunes cards and save $10. So $50 for $40.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I guess it all depends on the retailer/manufacturer because iTunes cards are frequently on sale yet I have never seen a sale on Wii, or 3DS shop cards (Wii uses points, 3DS uses $ amounts). I actually prefer the $ amount on the card instead of a point value. Call me crazy but it's easier for me to do in my mind that this game costs $15, not trying to figure out things like 80p=$1 conversion rate.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah, I guess it all depends on the retailer/manufacturer because iTunes cards are frequently on sale yet I have never seen a sale on Wii, or 3DS shop cards (Wii uses points, 3DS uses $ amounts). I actually prefer the $ amount on the card instead of a point value. Call me crazy but it's easier for me to do in my mind that this game costs $15, not trying to figure out things like 80p=$1 conversion rate.[/QUOTE]

I think the only time I've ever seen Wii points at a discount was a few years ago when Walmart had these holiday prepacks of 2000 points and a rubber cover for the old classic controller. They were marked down after Christmas to $10. Other than that, I've never seen them below full price.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I believe they will still keep the old Wii Shop Channel up for just the Wii, so your current points will still be valid for some time.

According to this Nintendolife article, however, they may not be selling the old retail cards anymore, and you may have to rely on buying the points through the Wii Shop Channel in the future. I believe most (if not all) of the current Wii Shop Channel content will be available on the new Wii U eShop (if that is what it's called), not sure if the points will actually transfer from shop to shop, though.[/QUOTE]

That is not a problem, I still have points on my console from that pepsi rock band promotion hahah. I just didn't want to lose those points in case the shop was shut down, which I assume the Wii shop will be eventually, even if it is a few years from now. I was saving them for a really good release like Earthbound or if something good came out but that doesn't look like it will ever happen so I might as well just spend them on some really hard to find game like Ogre Battle 64. If I end up with a Wii U someday from what it looks like my purchases will still transfer over.

I prefer the points cards too because as many have said its possible to get them on sale, Newegg always has Xbox points for $18.99 with free shipping and no tax for me so I always get them from there unless I can find a deal. I don't buy that many points a year, maybe 1-2 cards if that so its not a big deal for me to save $2-3 on a card with a better sale. You can almost always find a deal on iTunes cards, free iTunes credit is also available from the shopkick app, and I will not be giving my credit card info to any of these services after having my iTunes account hacked and after the PSN and XBox Live debacle so if they don't sell prepaid cards they are not getting my money period.

I don't buy from Nintendo's VC services with real money because their games never go on sale, have some sales, and maybe I will buy. iTunes, Sony and MS all have sales. Also I find no need to buy from their services when the games I want are on PSN or Xbox Live anyways. They still don't have a unified account system where your purchases are safely saved to one account, though I heard that is coming.

[quote name='SaraAB']I don't buy from Nintendo's VC services with real money because their games never go on sale, have some sales, and maybe I will buy. iTunes, Sony and MS all have sales. Also I find no need to buy from their services when the games I want are on PSN or Xbox Live anyways. They still don't have a unified account system where your purchases are safely saved to one account, though I heard that is coming.[/QUOTE]
I remember a few years back when they had select Sega VC games for 500 points instead of the typical 800. This was back when I didn't pay close attention to the Wii Shop Channel, and I thought this was a regular routine they did.

Of course (in my recollection) they never had another sale again, VC or WiiWare, go figure.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I remember a few years back when they had select Sega VC games for 500 points instead of the typical 800. This was back when I didn't pay close attention to the Wii Shop Channel, and I thought this was a regular routine they did.

Of course (in my recollection) they never had another sale again, VC or WiiWare, go figure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember this sale too, its the only sale I remember. Fortunately there isn't much on the VC/WiiWare right now that is worth buying. Xbox 360 has the best downloadable games with the PSN close behind. The PSN is killing it with PS Plus though. I have too many games so I don't really need PS Plus. Xbox 360 is easiest to buy from cause of the points system and the ready availability of points cards on sale. But with PSN you can buy digital games from Gamestop with cash (or credit), though you can probably do this with Xbox too. This way you only buy what you need. I bought one game this way, if I see another game I want and its available via GS I will be purchasing that way again.

They had Mega Man X2 a couple of months back, along with Double Dragon 2 the week after. But since then...nothing.

[quote name='SaraAB'], and I will not be giving my credit card info to any of these services after having my iTunes account hacked and after the PSN and XBox Live debacle so if they don't sell prepaid cards they are not getting my money period.[/QUOTE]

Going off-topic here, but I had a wacky thing happen with respect to my CC and iTunes. I never like having my CC on these accounts either and for that reason I have always bought iTunes cards (and yes, I have gotten them on sale but as others have said I've never seen the 3DS cards on sale). But then a few months back I had a $29.99 charge on my CC for iTunes. WTF!? Just to be sure I checked my iTunes account and even called them to make sure and I did not have a CC attached to my account. And of course because of "privacy" concerns they could not tell me when and for what (or for who) my credit card was charged. So my only resort was to dispute the charge. I had no other incorrect charges on my card so it was unlikely the info was stolen (usually when that happens there are several medium sized $100-$200 charges at retail stores, not one single $29.99 charge). So, yeah, to this day I have no idea what happened. The CC company sent me a letter just recently saying they sided in my favor. But I'd still like to know what happened.

As for Xbox Live and PSN, I don't have a card on Xbox Live since I've always gotten cheap Live cards and MS points. On PSN, though, I apparently do have a CC on file - must have been for PS+. Though I have always used cards for that too. Or I think, actually, it might have been because I have some child subaccounts for my kids and they make you enter a CC to verify your adult status or some such nonsense. Just the other day when I activated a new system (after trading in my old one using that GS trade-in promo) it asked me to verify my CC info so it is in there - much to my chagrin ;).

[quote name='io']
And the conversion to real money would be the end of buying Xbox Live games for me for the most part. I really hope that never happens. Real money is never on sale or clearance - points cards are. That's why I'm pretty much never going to buy a game for the 3DS (or, I guess, the Wii U) - I'll just get the "free" ones from Club Nintendo. It is especially bad with Nintendo since they don't ever (or very infrequently at least) have their downloadable games on sale. On the 360 I love getting discounted/sale games even cheaper with discounted/sale points cards.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corvin']Agreed. I never quite understood the anti-points argument. Sure you may end up with $.40 cents left in points in your account but if you saved $5 when you bought the card then who cares?[/QUOTE]

I seem to be outnumbered here. ;) Anyway, even though I do disagree with both of your reasons why (I've had my CC compromised twice in what 20 years now) it's never been due to anything game related, so that argument holds littler water with me, it's annoying when it happens (and mostly out of the blue, since some Russian or French person got ahold of my information) but its a fact of life, and not enough to keep me from using those services.

And in theory I agree with your discounted points systems, the games do go on sale, now I do want to point something out...

I NEVER said do away with the cards, only the space bucks.

Please don't confuse my comment.

If you can buy say a $50 PSN card and maybe get a discount on it, why can't MS and Nintendo follow that lead and make a dollar amount card you can buy in a store, still makes sense right?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I actually prefer the $ amount on the card instead of a point value. Call me crazy but it's easier for me to do in my mind that this game costs $15, not trying to figure out things like 80p=$1 conversion rate.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I'm glad someone else understands where I'm coming from on this issue (or more to the point annoyance).

I hate having non-money numbers on there, as that leads to hanging balances, that I can't do anything with because they want 120 points for game x and I only have 100 points as an example, I'd probably get more stuff on XBL, if it wasn't for that, I skipped a DLC recently because it'd throw my balance off to get some 80 point indie titles I wanted to get and I didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of calculating how many points to get back to a balance that would work that I can divide by 80 to get zero.

Seriously I have to do basic math (nothing wrong with that, just that it makes for an annoyance that doesn't need to be there) to buy something from an online store since they don't use real money amounts and only charge me for what I want and not how much they say I can get in whatever increment they offer.

That in a nutshell is my point, I'd probably get more from XBL and would use Wii shop more if not for that hassle.

[quote name='SaraAB'] This way you only buy what you need.[/QUOTE]

That's more succinct than I managed to state it, but that's what I am trying to get across.

I'm not recommending taking your cards away, just that space bucks would go back into the black hole from which they were conjured, they were a stupid idea when thought up and are a stupid idea now and I'd contest that they would cause less sales to happen since people have to buy in bulk to get something instead of just outright purchasing it, like they could without those ridiculous amount restrictions in place. At least in my case I would, who knows I might be the minority on that, but not alone in my thinking anyway.

I know some CAG's load up on XBL points when they're on sale, I'm not one of those people because as Sara mentioned, I only buy what I want or need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: iTunes

One day I logged into iTunes and it instantly began to download...something, I don't even remember what it was. I hadn't used iTunes in months (perhaps years), so I had a hard time believing that I'd purchased something and then forgot to download it.

The download finishes and then I check my e-mail. Sure enough, there's a message in here charging me some amount for a download.

I sent an e-mail to iTunes support immediately saying that I didn't know why something downloaded upon launching iTunes, and that I didn't authorize the charge at all. Surprisingly, they said that the agreed it was in error, and gave me the refund.

Still not sure what happened there. I changed my password but haven't really used iTunes since. Amazon's selection is arguably the same for most stuff, although iTunes does tend to get the random indie things that I try to support (by which I mean completely random stuff, like a guy who covered "Let it Be" to raise money for sick child).

We're getting way off topic, but since there's no real news...

[quote name='uncle5555']
If you can buy say a $50 PSN card and maybe get a discount on it, why can't MS and Nintendo follow that lead and make a dollar amount card you can buy in a store, still makes sense right?[/QUOTE]

"Maybe" being the operative word here. The ratio is probably more than 50-1 in terms of Live points deals compared to PSN card deals.

[quote name='uncle5555']
I hate having non-money numbers on there, as that leads to hanging balances, that I can't do anything with because they want 120 points for game x and I only have 100 points as an example, I'd probably get more stuff on XBL, if it wasn't for that, I skipped a DLC recently because it'd throw my balance off to get some 80 point indie titles I wanted to get and I didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of calculating how many points to get back to a balance that would work that I can divide by 80 to get zero. [/QUOTE]

This argument is pretty weak. If you buy a $20 Live card you're still going to have the same exact balance if you're buying the same things. In your example they want $1.50 and you have a balance of $1.25. It's not that odd of a number, and something that won't magically go away if they do away with points.

The only way that argument works is if it was run like PSN where you have your CC on file and charge each item as you buy them. Since most in here seem against that idea, then it appears living with a balance is going to happen no matter whether they use dollars or spacebucks.

Since we have 7 years of history of having deal after deal after deal on spacebucks and maybe an occasional deal on PSN$ cards, a CAG should realize switching to a dollar system will be the death knell of many point card deals.

Also, there's this, if the math is hard.

I'm not sure if this falls under the argument of 'Dollar value', 'Buy only what you want', or the 'Easier to find discounts on spacebucks card' viewpoint, but I'll post this for discussion.

Currently I have a couple Sears that have the old blister 2000 Wii Points cards on clearance, one for $11.97 and the other location for $14.97, hoping they would be discounted further in the future (they haven't in over six months now). If they were listed at an actual dollar value ($20) rather than point value, I'm almost certain they would be gone now, but because they use the artificial value listings, they have stood there untouched (+1 for spacebucks).

On the other hand, the only thing I really want on the Wii Shop is La-Mulana, which comes in at a cool 1000 points, which I can buy that same exact amount in points on the channel itself, without having to spend the additional $2-5 bucks that I could get a cheap N64 / SNES game with, but ultimately I have no interest in (+1 for buy only what you want).

As for the Dollar value argument, Wii points make it pretty easy to do the math, so honestly I don't see any difference in calculation between 1000 and $10 bucks, though for other formats I can see the validation in the stance.

[quote name='foltzie']I wonder if you can transfer from two Wiis down to one Wii U. I was able to do that with two DSis to one 3DS[/QUOTE]

I was wondering this as well. I have purchases split between two Wiis, and I would like to take this as an opportunity to consolidate. It's still no substitute for an account-based system like Microsoft and Sony use, but I'll take it.

I didn't realize that we're able to do that with multiple DSi handhelds, but that's reassuring. You were able to transfer things over without overwriting anything?

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']I was wondering this as well. I have purchases split between two Wiis, and I would like to take this as an opportunity to consolidate. It's still no substitute for an account-based system like Microsoft and Sony use, but I'll take it.

I didn't realize that we're able to do that with multiple DSi handhelds, but that's reassuring. You were able to transfer things over without overwriting anything?[/QUOTE]

Yes, using the DSi to 3DS transfer tool I was able to move a few games that my wife didnt want to my 3DS which had already received my DSi games. The 3DS to 3DS tool seems to be a 1-1 copy only.

[quote name='foltzie']Yes, using the DSi to 3DS transfer tool I was able to move a few games that my wife didnt want to my 3DS which had already received my DSi games. The 3DS to 3DS tool seems to be a 1-1 copy only.[/QUOTE]

You could choose which games to copy?! Damn you for instilling me with all this hope!!

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']You could choose which games to copy?! Damn you for instilling me with all this hope!![/QUOTE]

Yes, using the DSi to 3DS tool.

[quote name='foltzie']Yes, using the DSi to 3DS tool.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me I should use that 1000 points on my DSi and then xfer that stuff to my 3DS XL. Oh, and maybe I'll dump one or two of those Wii Points cards on it too and buy some more stuff first. Problem is, I never play those Wii/DSi shop games - even the "free" ones from Club Nintendo.

As for the points card debate - yep, there is definitely a difference about things going on sale between the two. I don't think I've ever seen PSN cards on sale - just offered as bonuses with other purchases. XBL cards, on the other hand, I've gotten tons for $10 or less. Yeah, I've seen (and taken advantage) of the iTunes sales but they are mostly in the 5-10% range and thus nothing too special.

Now, as long as they continue cards in general that is at least a half-measure for me. What I would not go with at all is credit-card only. And it isn't for the security (though that is a small concern). It is for the full-price paying. At least even with cash money type cards like PSN, 3DS shop, iTunes, I can buy those at Gamestop with trade-in credit. As long as I can do that, I might still buy a little stuff with those services. But I still want spacebucks for all the reasons posted before by me and others.

Anyway, bringing this back on topic, we can pretty much be sure Nintendo is going the 3DS Shop route with the Wii U. So we can expect the half-measure: real money-valued cards that you can buy with other means (ie, Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy, etc credit).

[quote name='io']
Anyway, bringing this back on topic, we can pretty much be sure Nintendo is going the 3DS Shop route with the Wii U. So we can expect the half-measure: real money-valued cards that you can buy with other means (ie, Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy, etc credit).[/QUOTE]

Yes. The only question is wether or not the shop itself and download functions will be as clunky to use as the 3DS shop and how it may compare to XBL, PSN, and iTunes stores.

[quote name='Corvin']We're getting way off topic, but since there's no real news...

"Maybe" being the operative word here. The ratio is probably more than 50-1 in terms of Live points deals compared to PSN card deals.

This argument is pretty weak.

Also, there's this, if the math is hard.[/QUOTE]

Then we're going to have to agree to disagree here then, I'm not that much a of SUPER CAG that I need a deal on space bucks and a deal in one of their stores as well to buy something. That's just too silly to even bother with.

That's the mentality that makes no sense to me and presents the massive hole in the argument you are presenting to me, I understand you're saving a bit more in the long run, however what I've seen is what maybe $1-5 on MS points, and that's why we'll not agree, as I'd just as soon wait for a sale on the game and not bother with the pitiful return on loading up on the points that I might or might not use, than have to deal with the hanging balance that you and others of that mindset don't seem to care about.

Even if I buy a $2 game in PSN, my balance will be $3, however as soon as I get a game for over that balance amount (usually $5) it'll put on what it needs and the balance is gone.

Maybe I'm being OCD in that regard, but I don't like letting companies keep my money just because of the "space bucks investment program" is borked. But then again who's more out there between what I do and what you do, you might not understand my side, but I have a hard time understanding needing both (cards and sale on game) to be cheap to buy a game, that's as I said, is just too silly for me to comprehend.

And honestly has there any thread at CAG that has never veered off course, I wouldn't put too much money on that one. ;) (and it's not too OT, since it has to do with Wiiware and the reason I brought it up to begin with after someone mentioned points on there)

I appreciate the discussion, but I think we can both agree we've come to a stalemate and will find no common ground to agree with on this issue.

C'est la vie

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']
As for the Dollar value argument, Wii points make it pretty easy to do the math, so honestly I don't see any difference in calculation between 1000 and $10 bucks, though for other formats I can see the validation in the stance.[/QUOTE]

I'm more arguing the fact that I want to spend X and they make me spend more than X to get what I want. Especially in their set buying amounts, if your damn game is 480 spacebucks, then lemme buy 480 freakin' spacebucks, not 800 or 1000 or whatever amounts they tell me I can buy them in.

And Nintendo points I don't need to consult special online places to figure out, its MS and their stupid point values that are fucked up is where I have the problem with space buck values, it's more the set amounts you have to purchase that is the touchy area to me.

[quote name='io']
Now, as long as they continue cards in general that is at least a half-measure for me. What I would not go with at all is credit-card only. And it isn't for the security (though that is a small concern). It is for the full-price paying. At least even with cash money type cards like PSN, 3DS shop, iTunes, I can buy those at Gamestop with trade-in credit. As long as I can do that, I might still buy a little stuff with those services. But I still want spacebucks for all the reasons posted before by me and others.
[/QUOTE]

And as I mentioned, then I rest my case as those who like those wacky things and those like me, who want them banished for real money values will never see eye to eye, and hey I don't have a problem with that, they just won't get my money, period.

Continue on with regularly scheduled programming now. ;)

Don't know what this $1-$5 on MS cards thing is. I got most of my MS Points cards for $5 (and some at $3 with $10 being the absolute maximum I've paid). Then when I buy stuff that is on sale (though I don't always do that) it is even cheaper. I don't see how hard that is to understand. I'd never pay $10-$20 real money for just about anything on XBL or PSN. When I get points dirt cheap, the issue of leftover point balances seems as silly and meaningless to me as the issue of buying cheap points and cheap games, apparently, does to you ;).

For example, I loaded up on about $30 worth of Rock Band stuff when they had the sale a few weeks back. I wouldn't have bought any of it if I didn't have cheap points to use.

Exactly.

You wait for that $10 game to hit $5 and buy. Good for you, you saved $5.

Those that buy points on sale(I also average about $10 for $20 worth of points) can buy that same game for $5 but are only out $2.50.

There's nothing wrong with being OCD about hanging balances but I'd rather save another 50% off every purchase I make. The points will get spent down the line anyway.

Think of it this way, I can hop on the marketplace any day of the week and ANY item on there is half off for me right off the bat. Let that soak in for a bit. The ENTIRE marketplace is half off, all day, every day. Sales are a bonus. So the beauty of it is that first $10 Borderlands or Halo DLC is $5 for me on day 1. No waiting for sales needed.

Switching to a dollar system and saving 5-10% on cards (ala iTunes) kills that instantly.

Personally, I find the whole points argument silly, when Nintendo points rarely went on sale anyways. Yes, those who were able to find blister packs were able to get them because they happened to be in the wrong category, but for the most part you couldn't get a deal.

BTW, iTunes cards are dollar values and regularly go on sale. It seems to be less about if they are points/dollar and more about if the vendor is willing to put them on sale. The only time I bought points cards is when TRU was offering 15% off any card, which also applied to Microsoft and Sony.

It seemed to me like until Sony in particular got into Points Cards and whatnot that there were always a ton of XBL Points sales. Since then not so much. I've rarely seen any Sony Points Cards on sale though. Especially Playstation Plus ones.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Rayman Legends has been delayed until next year.[/QUOTE]

fuck me. Pikmin and Rayman... the two reasons I'm buying this machine. This launch is looking less appealing by the day.

Probably a good move. There were questions about the amount of content in Single Player, as well as Ubisoft having a ton of games in the Launch Window. So I imagine the latter's really why they delayed it, to focus on games like AC3, Just Dance 4 and Zombi U.

Plus, it probably gives it some breathing room between it and Mario (although I wanted both, because from what I played a couple of months ago, those were the 2 most impressive games).

I got the cheap 37.99 preorder locked in for Rayman Legends, so by all means polish it up and add more content. I'm really excited for Zombi U, and I dunno, maybe I'll grab Mario.

I just noticed Tank! Tank! Tank! dropped to 50 on Newegg and I had an order from the 12 off while it was 60 sitting at 48.....not sure if I'll keep it now that it's only 2 bucks off unless another code comes out and I can get it for lower.

Tank Tank Tank should be like a $30 title. It should also be online. I went ahead and put money down on New Super Mario Bros. U & Darksiders II yesterday. That plus Nintendoland should keep me busy for awhile after launch.

I agree it should be cheaper, but I really enjoy the EDF style it has to it and still play BattleTanx: Global Assault to this day, so it's kind of mixing 2 niche games/genres that I really enjoy into one which is why I'm probably gonna get it at launch.

Edit: I don't think I'm going to get it at that price now that I think about it, Mario + NintendoLand + ZombiU will last me a good amount of time and Tank!x3 will probably drop in price rather quickly.

So we're basically a month away from launch. Could there be any less hype for this machine? I haven't seen any marketing. No in store displays. Nothing. Very strange launch.

[quote name='Corvin']So we're basically a month away from launch. Could there be any less hype for this machine? I haven't seen any marketing. No in store displays. Nothing. Very strange launch.[/QUOTE]

We're still 4 weeks away, outside of Gamestop no retail shop is going to dedicate 8 feet of shelf space to promoting a product that isnt available. Demo stations for the Wii didnt show up at Gamestop until late October.

Nintendo of America does marketing fairly well. I'm certain that starting the first week of November we'll see Reggie doing the usual PR stops on Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, and other shows to promote the console.

The entire first batch of consoles is going to sell out just to hardcore fans. Thus, marketing isnt needed for launch, but rather it is used to lay the ground work for Christmas sales to families (non-traditional gamers) and to generate news by getting PR coverage of the initial sell-out.

TL/DR: Nothing is unusual about the Wii U launch at this time.

[quote name='foltzie']Nintendo of America does marketing fairly well. I'm certain that starting the first week of November we'll see Reggie doing the usual PR stops on Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, and other shows to promote the console.[/QUOTE]

He was already on Jimmy Fallon. They threw stars at ninjas using the tablet. It was awkward. I don't know about this go-around, but they only promoted the Wii once on Late Night IIRC.

bread's done
Back