Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='dothog']He was already on Jimmy Fallon. They threw stars at ninjas using the tablet. It was awkward. I don't know about this go-around, but they only promoted the Wii once on Late Night IIRC.[/QUOTE]

Saw the original, and you are correct it was in fact awkward, but I expect he will be back now that Jimmy is a known game fan.

Reggie will probably be on Good Morning America like he was with the Wii and 3DS.

While I haven't seen any TV commercials, I have seen in-store ad placements at Gamestop, Target and Wal-Mart, in addition to Wii U branded Remotes and Nunchucks, which are in smaller boxes to their original counterparts.

Seeing other online retailers cancel orders make me weary of my Gamestop.com Preorder. Hopefully it holds up, or Amazon.com gets them. One bad part about working is you can't line up 10AM at a gamestop to get a preorder unless it's a sat-sun :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Seeing other online retailers cancel orders make me weary of my Gamestop.com Preorder. Hopefully it holds up, or Amazon.com gets them. One bad part about working is you can't line up 10AM at a gamestop to get a preorder unless it's a sat-sun :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My dad preordered really early online. I was in class and I kept checking and the moment I saw it on GS.com, I texted him. I think it was a little after 10AM that day. I've got my GS instore and my BB instore too that I'd rather get (and cancel the GS.com order), but I want to be in charge of that decision.

I've got Scribblenauts Unlimited ($43 at NewEgg), ZombiU ($54 at NewEgg) and NSMBWU preordered. Don't know if I should get a Pro Controller yet. I still need to go buy a Wii RemotePlus or a Wii Motion Plus adapter or two too. All this planning, it's like preparing for a damn kid!

[quote name='advanced']Same here. My dad preordered really early online. I was in class and I kept checking and the moment I saw it on GS.com, I texted him. I think it was a little after 10AM that day. I've got my GS instore and my BB instore too that I'd rather get (and cancel the GS.com order), but I want to be in charge of that decision.

I've got Scribblenauts Unlimited ($43 at NewEgg), ZombiU ($54 at NewEgg) and NSMBWU preordered. Don't know if I should get a Pro Controller yet. I still need to go buy a Wii RemotePlus or a Wii Motion Plus adapter or two too. All this planning, it's like preparing for a damn kid![/QUOTE]
I preordered mine 9/14 off GS.com. I could not get to a GS or a BB on the preorder date (because of work) and well I don't trust Wal Mart enough to actually pull through on preorders. Hopefully they keep it, although mine was in pretty early so I shouldn't have a problem. My biggest worry besides the whole situation there is the mail. Hopefully they ship through UPS because USPS can't do mail right :lol:.

Had 3 days to fiddle around with the Wii U at NYCC. Got to play Ninja Gaiden 3, Rayman Legends, Tank Tank Tank!, Zombie U, and the ghost game from Nintendo Land.

NG3 was more of the same while Rayman was pretty fun with the second player acting as a helper a la Super Mario Galaxy. Tank was pretty meh and so was Zombie U which bummed me out. I was really looking forward to the game but it played very similarly to Dead Island with muddier graphics and less control with melee attacks. Perhaps it was just the level I was playing but it just didn't have that certain something that separates it from other zombie themed games. The Luigi's mansion game was a blast to play but I can't see a group of 5 people playing it for hours on end.

Hardware wise the game pad and pro controller seemed solid although I would have preferred a matte finish rather than the glossy. Also, the game pad's screen looked sharp which was a pleasant surprise.

I was a bit unsure if I was going to keep my preorder but after today, I am going to pick up my deluxe bundle and cancel the Zombie U preorder.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Had 3 days to fiddle around with the Wii U at NYCC. Got to play Ninja Gaiden 3, Rayman Legends, Tank Tank Tank!, Zombie U, and the ghost game from Nintendo Land.

NG3 was more of the same while Rayman was pretty fun with the second player acting as a helper a la Super Mario Galaxy. Tank was pretty meh and so was Zombie U which bummed me out. I was really looking forward to the game but it played very similarly to Dead Island with muddier graphics and less control with melee attacks. Perhaps it was just the level I was playing but it just didn't have that certain something that separates it from other zombie themed games. The Luigi's mansion game was a blast to play but I can't see a group of 5 people playing it for hours on end.

Hardware wise the game pad and pro controller seemed solid although I would have preferred a matte finish rather than the glossy. Also, the game pad's screen looked sharp which was a pleasant surprise.

I was a bit unsure if I was going to keep my preorder but after today, I am going to pick up my deluxe bundle and cancel the Zombie U preorder.[/QUOTE]

That sucks you didn't enjoy ZombiU. I'm gonna wait until reviews come for ZombiU or give it a rent before buying it cause I am pretty interested in picking it up at launch.

[quote name='Metal Militia']That sucks you didn't enjoy ZombiU. I'm gonna wait until reviews come for ZombiU or give it a rent before buying it cause I am pretty interested in picking it up at launch.[/QUOTE]

I'm still hoping that the demo level I played was just a poor representation of the full game. The game had the longest lines for any Wii U game so the interest is there and I'm sure people will enjoy it regardless of poor reviews.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Might be Hitman as well. I would bet Hitman just on the way he worded it since it's ported. Could be Tomb Raider.

I would laugh if it's FF XIII[/QUOTE]

Hell maybe it's the third game in the series-Lightning Returns.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Might be Hitman as well. I would bet Hitman just on the way he worded it since it's ported. Could be Tomb Raider.

I would laugh if it's FF XIII[/QUOTE]

I'm really hoping for the FFIII remake. I don't think it's been ported to enough systems yet.

Maybe I've missed it somewhere but has it been confirmed that all Wii-U games will be compatible with the pro controller? I would prefer to play most of my games with the pro controller whenever possible.

Here's the skinny on this rumored game:

- Known to be releasing in 2013
- Well known Franchise
- Porting began in or around June '12 (per the job description)
- These guys are porting Mass Effect 3 to Wii U
- Published by Square Enix

The obvious candidates are Lightning Returns: FFXIII and Tomb Raider since they fit the first 2 descriptors. Keep in mind that Game Informer listed Tomb Raider for Wii U in their July issue, but later said it was a mistake. So my money is on Tomb Raider.

[quote name='Josh5890']Maybe I've missed it somewhere but has it been confirmed that all Wii-U games will be compatible with the pro controller? I would prefer to play most of my games with the pro controller whenever possible.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen anything that states as such, but it would make sense to make it a baseline requirement, and easy for devs to implement, given the similarities to the 360 & PS3 controllers.

I'm hoping that's the case, especially with an 80 hour battery(and the fact Wal-Mart forced it on me in a bundle). :hot:

[quote name='Josh5890']Maybe I've missed it somewhere but has it been confirmed that all Wii-U games will be compatible with the pro controller? I would prefer to play most of my games with the pro controller whenever possible.[/QUOTE]

Not mandated, but since the Gamepad has all the same buttons, one hopes it doesnt have the usual adoption issues sometimes faced by controllers not packed into the box.

EDIT: Considering most consoles come with just one controller, this really shouldnt be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they'd included one pro controller in the box, but then I suppose that would have raised the cost. Mostly I wish they'd not gone with rechargeable batteries and instead had used AA. Then I could use my Eneloops and the controllers would be cheaper. Oh well.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I just hope the joysticks on the thing are better than the shitty sticks in the CC. I can't stand the sticks in the CC, don't know if the CC Pro changed things.[/QUOTE]
The CC pro increased the spacing on the dual analog sticks compared to the original CC (which were too close), but otherwise they were the same. I personally like the CC pro, but the only gripe I had were the octagon ridges on the stick perimeters, which was great for keeping the 8 standard directions, it made it harder to have all 360 degrees available. The Wii U Pro controller / Gamepad does not have this same shape (true circle) so that's good enough for me.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']The CC pro increased the spacing on the dual analog sticks compared to the original CC (which were too close), but otherwise they were the same. I personally like the CC pro, but the only gripe I had were the octagon ridges on the stick perimeters, which was great for keeping the 8 standard directions, it made it harder to have all 360 degrees available. The Wii U Pro controller / Gamepad does not have this same shape (true circle) so that's good enough for me.[/QUOTE]
Oh good, I found the original CC to be way too jumpy/sensitive with it's movements.

Going to my Best Buy, EB and GameStops later to see if theirs have been set up yet. My Best Buy game section employee was the one that leaked the demo units being set up I went Tuesday and they already had it in the back, he showed me a picture of it. Said they had to wait for the Nintendo Rep to set it up. Hopefully it's up when I visit today, if so I'll take some videos!

Yep. Here's what they look like (Not my pic, found on Reddit)

cR2vG.jpg

[quote name='crunchewy']This is just dumb. Pro controllers don't have a headset jack. Only the game pad controller does. And you can't use mic on Gamepad for chat either. There will also then be no way for multiple local players to play online with chat. :(

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/10/18/wii-u-voice-chat-isn-39-t-simple.aspx[/QUOTE]

I'm in shock that Nintendo would bungle such a feat.... wait, nope, I'm not surprised in the least.

They had to eff up their chances at wooing the CoD crowd somehow. Now we know how.

It's pretty damn disappointing. Why can't Nintendo get a clue? Plus now there is no voice chat functionality out of the box, which means few will be using voice chat at all.

Wii U can support at least one wireless headset

October 19th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | No Comments »

One of the big, negative points made about the Wii U’s handling of voice chat is that the console won’t make use of wireless headsets. Mad Catz’s products are wired, as are the headsets made by Turtle Beach.
These two companies may be out of the picture for now, but PDP does offer a solution of its own. If you’d like a wireless experience on Wii U, it looks like you can purchase the “Universal Afterglow Wireless Headset”.
It’s not a Wii U-exclusive product – it also works with the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, PC, and mobile devices.
GameStop is selling the headset for $89.99. It’s expensive, but it should get the job done.
Thanks to Metaldave for the tip.

Yeah I think $90 for a universal is pretty fair. Hell turtle beach sells ones for up to $300. That's ridiculous.

[quote name='Corvin']I'm in shock that Nintendo would bungle such a feat.... wait, nope, I'm not surprised in the least.

They had to eff up their chances at wooing the CoD crowd somehow. Now we know how.[/QUOTE]

PS3 controllers don't have headset jacks either. But not being able to use the Gamepad's mic for voice chat is very stupid. I would've thought that microphone would've been the next Wii Speak, but in the controller itself.

That AAA game from SquareEnix is NOT Tomb Raider:

Tomb Raider not in the works for Wii U right now

October 19th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | No Comments » Straight Right is working on a AAA port of a multiplatform Square Enix game for Wii U. We still don’t know which title this is, but you can cross one off the list.
Crystal Dynamics’ Meagan Marie confirmed that there still aren’t any plans for a Wii U version of Tomb Raider.
She said:
“Tomb Raider is in development for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. No Wii U at this time!”
And thus the guessing game continues. Hitman: Absolution? Sleeping Dogs?
Anyone have their own guess?

[quote name='crunchewy']This is just dumb. Pro controllers don't have a headset jack. Only the game pad controller does. And you can't use mic on Gamepad for chat either. There will also then be no way for multiple local players to play online with chat. :(

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/10/18/wii-u-voice-chat-isn-39-t-simple.aspx[/QUOTE]

-facepalm-

Also shout outs to 2000 for Wii using fucking usb 2.0 for their internet connection.

Yeah they're really taking online seriously :roll:

[quote name='renique46']-facepalm-

Also shout outs to 2000 for Wii using fucking usb 2.0 for their internet connection.

Yeah they're really taking online seriously :roll:[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? USB isn't an "Internet connection".

While it is disappointing that they didn't do a little more to support voice chat, personally it doesn't matter much to me. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it on 360/PS3.

[quote name='Erad30']That AAA game from SquareEnix is NOT Tomb Raider:

Tomb Raider not in the works for Wii U right now

October 19th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | No Comments » Straight Right is working on a AAA port of a multiplatform Square Enix game for Wii U. We still don’t know which title this is, but you can cross one off the list.
Crystal Dynamics’ Meagan Marie confirmed that there still aren’t any plans for a Wii U version of Tomb Raider.
She said:
“Tomb Raider is in development for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. No Wii U at this time!”
And thus the guessing game continues. Hitman: Absolution? Sleeping Dogs?
Anyone have their own guess?[/QUOTE]

I'm sticking to my guns and saying that it is Deus Ex.

As far as the voice chat is concerned, I'm not too worried about it since I rarely ever used it on my PS3.

[quote name='io']Wait, what? USB isn't an "Internet connection".[/QUOTE]

He means that there's no built in ethernet, and that the only way to connect a Wii U to a hardline connection is to purchase the USB-to-ethernet adapter (i.e., same as with the Wii currently).

[quote name='Josh5890']I'm sticking to my guns and saying that it is Deus Ex.

As far as the voice chat is concerned, I'm not too worried about it since I rarely ever used it on my PS3.[/QUOTE]

There's no Deus Ex game scheduled to come out in 2013 though. I also wouldn't call Deus Ex a well known franchise.

The only game it could be right now, if it's not Tomb Raider, is Lightning Returns.

But I'm calling bullshit on this one. There's no way Square would let a Western developer port a Final Fantasy game that's currently in development.

[quote name='Strell']He means that there's no built in ethernet, and that the only way to connect a Wii U to a hardline connection is to purchase the USB-to-ethernet adapter (i.e., same as with the Wii currently).[/QUOTE]

I also think hardline connections for a console is overrated. Typically, internet speeds as they stand now don't come close to needing the bandwidth of 100 base T. Personally, I've had my PS3 with a wireless connection, and other than maybe streaming some video files from my home network, I haven't had much desire to hard connect my PS3

[quote name='KingBroly']There's no Deus Ex game scheduled to come out in 2013 though. I also wouldn't call Deus Ex a well known franchise.[/quote]

Also, given its age, Dues Ex: HR would be a rather underwhelming announcement.

The only game it could be right now, if it's not Tomb Raider, is Lightning Returns.

But I'm calling bullshit on this one. There's no way Square would let a Western developer port a Final Fantasy game that's currently in development.

Someone else had mentioned Hitman as a possibility, which seems to be the strong choice now that Tomb Raider is ruled out.

[quote name='Strell']He means that there's no built in ethernet, and that the only way to connect a Wii U to a hardline connection is to purchase the USB-to-ethernet adapter (i.e., same as with the Wii currently).[/QUOTE]

Oh, that does suck. Wireless never works well for me - once I took my PS3 off wireless and plugged it in things were 10x faster. My Wii can't even connect to the Wii Shop any more.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Someone else had mentioned Hitman as a possibility, which seems to be the strong choice now that Tomb Raider is ruled out.[/QUOTE]

Except that Hitman is coming out this year and not next.

And yeah, the Wii had this $20 Ethernet Port adapter that you could hook in via USB. I imagine Wii U will make use of it as well, so finding one used might be preferable.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come there's no WiiU subforum? I keep seeing discussion being shut down in the Deals forum in the Preorder thread, why not give all that stuff a home? I mean now that we're a month away from lauch and all.

bread's done
Back