XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='omgu8myrice']no, you need the first party audio dongle if you need to have an optical out, which sucks[/quote]
That's what Microsoft wants you to think, but check this link

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

You take the plastic casing off of the component cable, which takes about 30 seconds and does nothing but cosmetic damage to your cable, and you can plug both the HDMI and regular cable (with optical audio out) in at the same time.

This is what I did, and besides the fact that it looks a tiny bit ghetto, it works great. So instead of spending $50 on a Microsoft HDMI cable, I dropped 7 on ebay and now I'm set. I didn't know about monoprice when i bought it.

[quote name='Slate']I said I want to have my profile on my elite but I still want to play my XBLA Games on my Pro system, Offline. So Here is what I want to do:

I want my XBLA Games on both systems

I want to play my XBLA Games offline on my pro system

So what should I do - Transfer my profile to my elite with a memory card or recover it to my elite?[/quote]

[quote name='Slate']......[/quote]Put your GT on a memory card. Recovering your GT on one console makes it unavailable on the other console, meaning you'll have to recover each time you want to switch back to the other console, which is a pain in the ass.

Personally, I've stopped doing that. Your setup permitting, I just switch the HDD from my Elite over to my Pro system when I want to switch consoles.

[quote name='wowimsocute']I just signed up for Live but my Gamer Profile link doesn't work: ( http://live.xbox.com/member/soulengineer )

In my profile, it says my link is: Gamer Profile Link - http://live.xbox.com/member/?????? When I look at my own profile, I can see all the gamer card info.

Is there a delay between account creation and profile activation? Thanks.[/quote]

That's weird...check your privacy settings on the XBOX maybe its preventing other users to see it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's weird...check your privacy settings on the XBOX maybe its preventing other users to see it.[/QUOTE]
all of them are set to "everyone."

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Put your GT on a memory card. Recovering your GT on one console makes it unavailable on the other console, meaning you'll have to recover each time you want to switch back to the other console, which is a pain in the ass.

Personally, I've stopped doing that. Your setup permitting, I just switch the HDD from my Elite over to my Pro system when I want to switch consoles.[/quote]

But if I take my profile off of my Pro system will that make my XBLA Games inoperable?

Ugh my 360 is dying but with no red rings, so no free repair :( I'm nearly desperate enough just to buy a new 360.

It's frozen four straight times after a game of Madden (before you reach the Stats screen)....I hate having to replay a game, much less 4 times.

It does that clicking thing that either just freezes or brings up the disc read error.

[quote name='Slate']But if I take my profile off of my Pro system will that make my XBLA Games inoperable?[/quote]My circumstances may have been slightly different from yours, but what happened with me is this:

Sent in my Pro to be fixed and got an Elite. Transferred all my content to my Elite including games which means I have to be online to do so. Got my Pro back and did profile recovery and redownloaded all the games.

Then I found out, as I stated, the Elite had to recover my profile again. When I tried to play any XBLA game, I could only access the trial version and some, I couldn't even play past the title screen.

Sorry if this has been covered, but the forum isn't letting me search for some unknown reason.

Anyway... I finally got around to picking up a 360 (yay!), and I had snagged a cheap set of component cables a while back. Here's the problem... I have an SDTV. As I've discovered, the official MS cables have a switch to differentiate between HD and SD... but these don't (they're Psyclone).

So... basically... is there any way to still use these cables on an SDTV by setting it through the 360 itself, or am I basically boned into getting the official cables?

Thanks!

[quote name='007']Sorry if this has been covered, but the forum isn't letting me search for some unknown reason.

Anyway... I finally got around to picking up a 360 (yay!), and I had snagged a cheap set of component cables a while back. Here's the problem... I have an SDTV. As I've discovered, the official MS cables have a switch to differentiate between HD and SD... but these don't (they're Psyclone).

So... basically... is there any way to still use these cables on an SDTV by setting it through the 360 itself, or am I basically boned into getting the official cables?

Thanks![/quote]

That's odd that there's no switch. I have a set of universal component from Gamestop(PS2, Xbox, 360) and those have the switch. They worked great for me.

I no longer use them as I have the 360 going to my TV via VGA, so if you want, I can swap them to you for cheap or a cheapo game or something. Shoot me a PM if you want to do a trade.

Like I said, if they work, I have no idea how to make it happen. They automatically put the 360 into HD mode, which renders it unplayable on my TV.

sp00ge - PM sent.

Oh, and the guy who asked about the HDD... it's fairly good. I just picked up a used one from GS and it seems pretty perfect.

[quote name='007']Like I said, if they work, I have no idea how to make it happen. They automatically put the 360 into HD mode, which renders it unplayable on my TV.

sp00ge - PM sent.

Oh, and the guy who asked about the HDD... it's fairly good. I just picked up a used one from GS and it seems pretty perfect.[/QUOTE]

Did you check the TV settings on the console?

I did, and that's the problem. It seems to give you access based on the cable you plug in. That's why I'm assuming the switch exists. I had figured it would be like the Wii, where you *could* go in and choose between SD and HD. That doesn't seem to be the case. You'd think it would be easier that way, but I digress.

When I plug in the composite, I get a different set of options than when I plug in the component. When the component is plugged in, it's stuck in HD mode, and I see no way of making it SD.

That's the problem in a nutshell.

My controller was working earlier. Now it wont link up to my console and I'm not sure what's wrong with it. It's not the batteries. Can anyone help?

I was thinking about that clicking problem...could it be my hard drive?

When I accidentally kicked my external a while back, it did this same clicking sound before well, breaking.

Hey i had a question about the hdmi'ed 360's. I know on the hd avi input thingy on the back of 360 it has that little slot for the optical wire. What about when you connect with an hdmi cable on the back of the 360? Thanks in advance

[quote name='pdiscool']Hey i had a question about the hdmi'ed 360's. I know on the hd avi input thingy on the back of 360 it has that little slot for the optical wire. What about when you connect with an hdmi cable on the back of the 360? Thanks in advance[/quote]

The question isn't quite clear, but I'll give it a shot.

It depends on which 360 you get. If you have the Elite model, it comes with an "audio dongle" that will have the Optical connection. If you got the Premium with HDMI, then you'll have to locate one of these cables on, say, ebay. The other option is to run the audio out from the TV, provided you have that option. Do you have a receiver/surround system? Are you hooking the 360 directly to a TV? We need a bit more info to provide a definitive answer.

Sorry about that. Yes 360 directly to the tv with the vga cable that has that optical slot on the back of the vga cable. Was wondering if i upgraded to the elite hdmi how would i go about using the optical. I bought those triton 5.1 surround sound headphones that are pretty cool.

[quote name='pdiscool']Sorry about that. Yes 360 directly to the tv with the vga cable that has that optical slot on the back of the vga cable. Was wondering if i upgraded to the elite hdmi how would i go about using the optical. I bought those triton 5.1 surround sound headphones that are pretty cool.[/quote]
The Elite comes with an adapter for optical and analog sound for those who aren't using hdmi audio. The kit is also avaible as an accessory.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Why would you need the optical? HDMI handles both audio and video in a single cable.[/quote]

Not everyone has a HDMI receiver and the OP said he wants to use it with his 5.1 headphones.

just got xbox live vision and, i already own uno for XBLA... is there any way to change the free game code to anything other than uno, or just have 400 points added to my credit?

[quote name='zenintrude']just got xbox live vision and, i already own uno for XBLA... is there any way to change the free game code to anything other than uno, or just have 400 points added to my credit?[/quote]Nope. You can see if you can trade it with someone here, though.

Sorry if this has been covered but...

I'm about to get XBOX Live soon but my problem is that my router is downstairs and my 360 is upstairs. So I'm about to purchase the wireless adapter soon also.

To anyone that has experience with it, can you tell me if its a good purchase or if I should stay away from it? Thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays Everybody.

[quote name='fLipEN`']Sorry if this has been covered but...

I'm about to get XBOX Live soon but my problem is that my router is downstairs and my 360 is upstairs. So I'm about to purchase the wireless adapter soon also.

To anyone that has experience with it, can you tell me if its a good purchase or if I should stay away from it? Thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays Everybody.[/quote]
i've been using wireless on my network and it's been working fine, it's even the original xbox wireless adapter and it works good, the only problem i've had with it was when our internet went down then back up, it wouldn't connect, but that actually turned out to be a simple reset on the router, otherwise, i have had no problems with it, in fact it's pretty nice.

[quote name='fLipEN`']Sorry if this has been covered but...

Happy Holidays Everybody.[/QUOTE]

I bought mine on ebay for 74 dollars or so. I have nothing but praise for this thing. It is the best clutter-free solution due to its lack of power adapter and easy attach-ability.

So, I recently got a 360 and I created an account. I accidentaly put the wrong age in so it says im 17, while i was really born in 1989, it says 1990. Any ways not a big deal, but I went to download a demo of Frontlines fuels of war, and suprise it tells me I cant download a demo of a game with that rating (pending/unrated), okay so no big deal, I went to try to download the demo for kane and lynch, Nope cant download that either (hmm even if 1990 that equals 17 which is Mature elgible.). Now this is getting kind of annoying as I cant download anything, even though family console settings are turned off, and EVERYTHING is allowed on the console.

ANyways any help would be appreciated, I cant even play online as it says im not old enough (huh?). Name is Wowzors1989 add me, but we cant play or anything yet.

hmm, not sure if you can change that information, man that sucks, i do know that you can change your gamertag for 800 points. did you make a gold account, or just a silver?

ahh, didn't know that, i thought marketplace junk was available to silver, well crap, that suck dude, not even sure if changing your username will do anything.

Hey guys I got a quick question (won't let me search thread for some reason), but I was wondering if there was a way to completely delete credit card information that is saved automatically onto your account once you input it? Just want to delete it so I don't get automatically charged for Live once it expires again. Thanks in advance.

first off i think this newbie should say hi to everyone before explaining anything, so HI!!!

back to business, iv ebeen having issues with my Elite when connecting my wireless headset to it....these issues being that neither the headset or the console itsef can detect one another, leaving me with a wireless headset with no home, aww

anyway i was wondering if any of the boffins here at CAG could help shed some light on this issue, i tried doing a quick search of the forums but found jack, and he hadnt found anything either

so PLEASE, someone help this newbie in distress :-({|=

My friend just got a 360 Pro for christmas and his controller wouldn't sink up to his console after he had been using it for a few hours. He called tech support and they were going to have him send it in and they said it would take up to four weeks before he would have it back.

Maybe your headset is broken, you should try calling the support number or just take it back to the store and exchange it for a new one.

Assuming you got it really recently, maybe you don't have too many gamerpoints yet, and you're still using the free trial live account, and can just delete the account and make a new one.

Just got my 360 and its the first console im going to bother taking online. I have a few questions about this.

First off my internet is in a completly different room then my TV is in. Im guessing im going to need to call my cable company and have them set me up with a new box that my 360 can wirelessly connect through? If this is true then first off will I need to buy something for my 360 to do this and if so how much does it usually cost? Second though anyone have a clue what Cable Companies charge to do this(or if its free).

The other question is what are the differences between silver and gold for live subs?

First off I would leave the cable company out of it. With this I think you have 2 good options:

1. If your PC DOES NOT have a wireless card you can get a wireless router(or use the one you already have) at the point of your PC and get a wireless ethernet bridge to hook into the Xbox (There is a microsoft one for $100 MSRP but other brands for cheaper, in my experience this can be difficult to set up).

2. If your PC HAS a wireless card, you can get a coaxial (sp?) splitter to use. Have 1 half of the splitter go to your TV/Cable Box and the other half go to a wireless router. Then you can hook up the X-Box to the wireless router w/ an Ethernet Cable and your computer will connect wirelessly.

I personally am using Option #2 and it works great, much better than dealing with the ethernet bridge I think. Also, a cheap wireless ethernet card for a PC is less than an ethernet bridge I think.

ALSO...

Silver = no online multiplayer
Gold = online multiplayer
*(Mostly, there are some exceptions if you are using silver on the same xbox as a gold player, then you can get brought into some online games)

[quote name='cdrober']First off I would leave the cable company out of it. With this I think you have 2 good options:

1. If your PC DOES NOT have a wireless card you can get a wireless router(or use the one you already have) at the point of your PC and get a wireless ethernet bridge to hook into the Xbox (There is a microsoft one for $100 MSRP but other brands for cheaper, in my experience this can be difficult to set up).

2. If your PC HAS a wireless card, you can get a coaxial (sp?) splitter to use. Have 1 half of the splitter go to your TV/Cable Box and the other half go to a wireless router. Then you can hook up the X-Box to the wireless router w/ an Ethernet Cable and your computer will connect wirelessly.

I personally am using Option #2 and it works great, much better than dealing with the ethernet bridge I think. Also, a cheap wireless ethernet card for a PC is less than an ethernet bridge I think.

ALSO...

Silver = no online multiplayer
Gold = online multiplayer
*(Mostly, there are some exceptions if you are using silver on the same xbox as a gold player, then you can get brought into some online games)[/QUOTE]

Id rather not use the cable company. however $100 is alot so if the cable company didnt charge me or only charged me a house call naturally id rather do that. How do I tell if my PC has the Wireless card or not? Im not very good with the hardware side of computers(hell pretty meh with other sides too). Hopefully it has one since when I got it I dropped a decent amount on it and made it clear I played alot of video games.

As for the silver gold thing. So if I have the silver membership I can still get online to download patches, use achievments and download extras for games like gears then?

Thanks for the info.

Last night I had reconnected my 360 to the bedroom from playing Rockband in the living room Christmas morning with some relatives. In the process the screen was all funny colors and what not. I jiggled the video connection on the back of the 360 and it flashed back in and out and settled on the correct colors. I'm using the HDTV/TV plug that came with the regular package and am running it using the composite video cables. Has anyone noticed this? if so I want to know so I can exchange or return mine....

You need a wireless router to send the signal out and a wireless adapter for the Xbox 360. I use a Belkin wireless adapter and it works great (about $50).

a similar problem occurs when i try to connect a white 360 controler to the Elite...but when i was using the headset with my old console (before it blew up on me) it was working fine, ive only had this problem with my Elite

From the sound of things, I am guessing that you have your computer plugged directly into your cable modem and you do NOT already have a router. If this is true, you need to go out and buy a router... I would suggest something that has 4 or 8 actual ethernet ports as well as wireless capabilities and these can be had pretty cheap:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204053098&loc=273

Essentially this router will act as a splitter for your cable modem. You plug the cable modem into the uplink port of the router and then anything plugged in to the other ports or connected wirelessly will have access to your internet connection (ie: your PC and your 360). A lot of routers will work fine right out of the box but you will probably want to find a guide online that explains how to go about tweaking the settings (there are lots so dont despair).

Lastly, if you want to be able to connect your 360 wirelessly, rather than having to plug it in to the router directly, you will need some sort of wireless adapter. The official 360 one is expensive ($100 retail) but can be found for cheaper if you look around (found mine for $70) and is the least hassle to set up and power (other adapters will require an external power supply where as the 360 adapter is small and only plugs into the 360).

watch it, it could be the scaler chip that the AV plugs into or possibly a bad AV all together. The scaler chip is what broke last time when I had to send my 360 in to MS.

if anything it seems like it's the connector. Jiggling it cleared up the issue. Actually not plugging it in all the way worked. Is that typical? or should I look into exchanging it?

[quote name='Riyonuk']I thought I could use my hardrive to put games on it, that way it reduces loading times? I can't find an option for this anywhere..[/quote]I don't think any games have taken advantage of installing parts of the game outright for faster loading. Some games do seem to cache parts of the world (Oblivion, Skate, TH:pG) for faster loading. That's all done automatically without a user option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back