XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cant answer the op's ? because i use a pre-hdmi 360 with a vga cable to my vizio. but i have the triton x360 dolby digital headphones and can say from months of experience now that it is an amazing difference in how you experience a game. the easiest way to explain them is, its like going from sdtv to hdtv except for your ears. They are worth figuring out a solution to the problem you are having.

I'm sure that someone would have already posted this, but whenever I use the search function, it keeps coming up as "fatal error", so just thought I'd ask instead! :bouncy:

I read something before that the Xbox has a 3 year warranty. Is this something that you pay for or does it come with it from the beginning?

Also, my XBox is Team FDOU and lot #0743 and was Manf 10/27/07 (got it from buy.com for Christmas); does this mean I have a falcon chip?

Thanks so much for any and all help! ;)

yes microsoft gives 3 years for all xbox from purchase dates.
And 90 dates for any hardware problems.
I think the 3 years one only covers the 3 Rings of Death problems but i have heard many people getting microsoft to fix other problems like faulty drives and stuff after the 90 days.
I cant be too sure on that tho.

If your power brick tells you that it used 175watts then yes you have a falcon .. if it saids 203w ... then maybe you do.

EDIT: according to this other person that has the same stats as your xbox ... Yours is a Falcon congratz
http://www.360drives.com/profile/1940

You guys are probably tired of answering these questions, but this seems like the place to be for askin' em.

New owner as of Christmas 2007. To say I was surprised to have gotten one is an understatement.

Whenever I get a new console, I look at it from a very straight-forward utility perspective, which basically means I want to know what I need to get in order to get the best, fullest functionality out of it. I'm going to wring the living hell out of this sucker.

At any rate, I got a Pro. Already went to Target and picked up CoD4 on the cheap with gift cards, and I'm completing a trade for a wireless adapter, so I'm off to a good start. But I gots some questions.

1) Are the play 'n charge kits worthwhile? I use eneloop batteries for all my Wii stuff, and I have a ton of eneloop batteries (I want to say like 36 or more), so is it worth it to get one of those kits, or should I just stick to rechargeables? I figure the battery life in a 360 controller is as good - if not better - than a Wiimote.

2) Should I sign up for the $60 extended warranty I saw on a card that came in the box? I know I have a Falcon (175 watt on the AC adapter), and I know that means smaller chip and fixed heatsink, so I'm thinking the hardware is stable. But I tend to like having the peace of mind. However, I like saving money more, so if it isn't worth it, I'll pass.

3) Any suggestions on carrying cases? I favor Naki World, but would be nice to know if anyone has any suggestions. However, I doubt I'll be moving this one around much.

4) Should I pick up a memory card? They don't seem all that useful at the moment.

5) What are the best deals to look for when it comes to XBL subscriptions? I.e., if I wait around a bit, would I run across a good'un? Related question: Is the Vision XBL pack worth it? Seems like you get the camera + lots of other little goodies for...I think 25 or 35 more bucks than the straight 13 month subs card?

6) Any other pieces of hardware I should know about that are worth it?

Guess that's all for now. I hope I am welcomed into the family of That Surrrrrrrrrrrrrrkel.

1) Play and charge kits are as it is ... to play and charge at the same time.
Its only a must if you play so much that you can't even take a quick pause to change batteries.
It is a nice thing to have but its not a "must" item at all.
Hell i use regular Tenergy ones on mine not even eneloop and it works flawlessly.

2)Falcons havent been out long enough to be sure how well it fairs against the rrod yet.

Pros: Warranties from stores = faster return, you get a new system in return not a refurb, and protects against all faults

Cons: 60 bucks lol , 3 years from microsoft is pretty safe already imo.

3) none sorry

4)only to more easily bring your gamertag to other peoples house to play.
but not really worth it.

5) Constantly check buy.com it can go low as 32-38$ alot of times.
Combine with Google checkout and its a steal.
even more rare is an old xbox live card from sears.
vision pack? only if you want to picture chat with your real life friends... unless you want to show your ugly face to the world... ymmv on the ugly face

6)none i cant think of....

[quote name='Strell']You guys are probably tired of answering these questions, but this seems like the place to be for askin' em.

New owner as of Christmas 2007. To say I was surprised to have gotten one is an understatement.

Whenever I get a new console, I look at it from a very straight-forward utility perspective, which basically means I want to know what I need to get in order to get the best, fullest functionality out of it. I'm going to wring the living hell out of this sucker.

At any rate, I got a Pro. Already went to Target and picked up CoD4 on the cheap with gift cards, and I'm completing a trade for a wireless adapter, so I'm off to a good start. But I gots some questions.

1) Are the play 'n charge kits worthwhile? I use eneloop batteries for all my Wii stuff, and I have a ton of eneloop batteries (I want to say like 36 or more), so is it worth it to get one of those kits, or should I just stick to rechargeables? I figure the battery life in a 360 controller is as good - if not better - than a Wiimote.

2) Should I sign up for the $60 extended warranty I saw on a card that came in the box? I know I have a Falcon (175 watt on the AC adapter), and I know that means smaller chip and fixed heatsink, so I'm thinking the hardware is stable. But I tend to like having the peace of mind. However, I like saving money more, so if it isn't worth it, I'll pass.

3) Any suggestions on carrying cases? I favor Naki World, but would be nice to know if anyone has any suggestions. However, I doubt I'll be moving this one around much.

4) Should I pick up a memory card? They don't seem all that useful at the moment.

5) What are the best deals to look for when it comes to XBL subscriptions? I.e., if I wait around a bit, would I run across a good'un? Related question: Is the Vision XBL pack worth it? Seems like you get the camera + lots of other little goodies for...I think 25 or 35 more bucks than the straight 13 month subs card?

6) Any other pieces of hardware I should know about that are worth it?

Guess that's all for now. I hope I am welcomed into the family of That Surrrrrrrrrrrrrrkel.[/quote]

1. Play 'n charge is very worth it. Any time you turn the system off, just plug it in and it charges while the console is off. I guess in your situation you'd be alright without getting one. It's a must for anyone else though.

2. I wouldn't. You've got a year warranty on everything plus three years towards the RROD. That's enough for me.

3. No idea.

4. No. They're not worth it. 20GB is plenty.

5. General rule is you can get 12 months of XBL for around $30 if you look around enough. Don't get the vision pack. It's not worth it. There's like 2 games that support it.

6. Not that I can think of.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']fuck you LinkinPrime! :lol: I kid, I kid.

No worries about the accident, though. I have a backup, but it's an old one. It was actually good timing on your part. I needed to update that thread bad. Speaking of which, here are some things I am going to add:

1) a Dashboard Update section

2) more deals (from the CAG Deals section, of course) to the Deals section

3) a section to explain how to prevent and/or fix the red rings

4) a Rumors section

and, most importantly...

5) a 720p vs. 1080i vs. 1080p Outputs section

6) a VGA vs. DVI vs. HDMI Connections section

7) a better SDTV vs. HDTV section

Callout: if anyone wants to help me with the last three sections (#5 - 7) it would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! I actually need all the help I can get in explaining these things well, which is very much needed seeing as how most questions people ask deal with those things. If you can/will help me, PM me and let me know - I might just end up using what you say verbatim in the next OP. Also, if I need to add something else (that you can remember me not having) then let me know here.[/quote]

I'm looking for more info for #5 and #6, is there a link? Basically, i want to know how to set the display to 1080i using HDMI (the X360 only allows me to set to 720p). However, i was able to set it to 1080i using component... No biggies for gaming (more or less the same, i.e. TV downscale or whatever), but it's a biggie for the hd-dvd add-on.... thanks in advance!

I'm trying to set my xbox up so that I can stream music to it. I already installed WMP 11, and allowed the xbox to share. When I go to the xbox, and picks up an IP, but not the PC name. What to do?

[quote name='Riyonuk']I'm trying to set my xbox up so that I can stream music to it. I already installed WMP 11, and allowed the xbox to share. When I go to the xbox, and picks up an IP, but not the PC name. What to do?[/quote]
Did you add songs to the Shared Library in WMP?

I have been having problems the past two days with my 360. It plays games fine and allows me to play online. However, when I sign in on my dashboard it just loads..and loads...and then it says it cannot connect. However, it has no problems when I am in game. Any ideas?

[quote name='m3talst0rm']I have been having problems the past two days with my 360. It plays games fine and allows me to play online. However, when I sign in on my dashboard it just loads..and loads...and then it says it cannot connect. However, it has no problems when I am in game. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I just got that problem a few mins ago. It just keeps loading, but when you start a game, you log into Xbox Live just fine. Also, in the dashboard, if you press the middle X button, it'll show that you are on Live...

[quote name='Daywalker']I just got that problem a few mins ago. It just keeps loading, but when you start a game, you log into Xbox Live just fine. Also, in the dashboard, if you press the middle X button, it'll show that you are on Live...[/quote]

Yeah, could this be a problem with xbox live? I ran the "check network settings" thing and everything came back ok. Anyone else having this problem?

[quote name='sp00ge']Did you add songs to the Shared Library in WMP?[/quote]

Yes I did, took about 10min to add my full library. It still doesn't work on the Xbox's side. Does WMP have to be open all the time?

[quote name='Riyonuk']Yes I did, took about 10min to add my full library. It still doesn't work on the Xbox's side. Does WMP have to be open all the time?[/QUOTE]
Disable your firewall and antivirus, also be sure that your router isn't blocking communication. If that doesn't work try deleting your DRM folder in your registry. Finally if none of above work than you have to reinstall Windows :wall: .

[quote name='spoo']Disable your firewall and antivirus, also be sure that your router isn't blocking communication. If that doesn't work try deleting your DRM folder in your registry. Finally if none of above work than you have to reinstall Windows :wall: .[/quote]

Disabled both firewalls, and don't use anti-virus programs. I don't have a router, and where is the DRM Folder you speak of?

So I just got my exchanged 360 from Amazon, and it's a falcon (yay). However, I noticed when I give it a normal shake, it sounds like there's something loose in there. Is this normal? My other 360 had the same sound when I gave it a normal shake, but not as loud.

[quote name='suko_32']So I just got my exchanged 360 from Amazon, and it's a falcon (yay). However, I noticed when I give it a normal shake, it sounds like there's something loose in there. Is this normal? My other 360 had the same sound when I gave it a normal shake, but not as loud.[/quote]

I think thats the thingy to tell if the system is vertical or horizontal.

[quote name='smalien1']I think thats the thingy to tell if the system is vertical or horizontal.[/QUOTE]

So it's somewhat like a tilt sensor for the guitar in Guitar Hero? That's pretty interesting. Glad to hear it's normal, thanks.

[quote name='halfbent']Is there a way to remove your Messenger association after you set it up?[/quote]

I really would like to know this as well.

does the orginal wireless ethernet adapter for the xbox for on the xbox 360? does it work well? fast online? dieing to play halo 3!

[quote name='Riyonuk']Disabled both firewalls, and don't use anti-virus programs. I don't have a router, and where is the DRM Folder you speak of?[/QUOTE]
1. Disable media sharing in WMP11 and turn your xbox off.
2. Open the C: drive (make sure you can view hidden files/folders)
3. Open the Users folder.
4. Open the All Users folder.
5. Open the Microsoft folder. Ignore the "DRM" folder in here: this one is not the problematic folder.
6. Open the Windows folder.
7. Open the DRM folder and delete all contents.
8. Restart your computer and xbox and re-enable media sharing.

Hope it helps.

I'm really annoyed.
My Apt complex offers a free wireless internet. Now my PC is connected to Comcast, so that's fine.
I use my 360, Wii, and DS with their wireless internet since it works fine.

Their connection name is "linksys". It's been fine for the past 2 months. Now I've been havin problems with the connection. I go to search for access points..and now it says "linksys (duplicate)" so this means some douche has their connection name as the SAME?! Because it's also unsecured.

What makes me mad is that my cable modem from comcast is a "Telephony Modem" (LOL not making it up) since my cable, internet, and phone ar all connected to the same modem. There's only ONE ethernet port. This elimiates me plugging my 360 into my modem..and I SHOULD because my TV w/ Xbox (and Wii) is right next to me.

By any chance, would they even make like.. an ethernet hub? LOL like how a USB hub works?

My sister's fiance gave me a router, but to be honest.. I really would notknow how to set it up (in terms of setting up a WEP) and he's really useless too since he acts like he knows what he's talking about..since he set it up and it stopped working the next day (hence, why I decided to rely on the complex's wireless internet)

So..what can I do? This is pissing me off. I just want to be connected without any problems.

bump anyone?
[quote name='xenoman80']does the orginal wireless ethernet adapter for the xbox for on the xbox 360? does it work well? fast online? dieing to play halo 3![/QUOTE]

My 360 is currently making a grinding sound when I'm playing games. It sounds like the disc inside is getting scratched (it isn't) and that the drive is having problems reading the disc. Has anyone else gotten this and what is the fix for it? Apparently even though I bought the system last Feb. it's not under warranty because it was made in Oct of '06 and I don't really feel like paying M$ any more money for this thing. Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='xenoman80']does the orginal wireless ethernet adapter for the xbox for on the xbox 360? does it work well? fast online? dieing to play halo 3![/quote]Yeah, it works. I can't compare how it works with online gameplay in comparison to my wired connection, though. I do think you'll have to change the security on your router as it only accepts one kind (either WPA or WEP, I can't remember which).

[quote name='suko_32']So I just got my exchanged 360 from Amazon, and it's a falcon (yay). However, I noticed when I give it a normal shake, it sounds like there's something loose in there. Is this normal? My other 360 had the same sound when I gave it a normal shake, but not as loud.[/QUOTE]

Mine from Amazon does the same exact thing. It's a little noise that sounds like something's loose. It has kind of bothered me, so I'll be happy if it's normal.

Can anyone else corroborate this?

[quote name='munch']Mine from Amazon does the same exact thing. It's a little noise that sounds like something's loose. It has kind of bothered me, so I'll be happy if it's normal.

Can anyone else corroborate this?[/quote]

Mine does the same thing. Relax, it's normal.

[quote name='munch']Mine from Amazon does the same exact thing. It's a little noise that sounds like something's loose. It has kind of bothered me, so I'll be happy if it's normal.

Can anyone else corroborate this?[/quote]It's a small ball bearing so the 360 can differentiate between the horizontal and vertical positioning so the 4 light quadrants display correctly regardless of system orientation.

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']My 360 is currently making a grinding sound when I'm playing games. It sounds like the disc inside is getting scratched (it isn't) and that the drive is having problems reading the disc. Has anyone else gotten this and what is the fix for it? Apparently even though I bought the system last Feb. it's not under warranty because it was made in Oct of '06 and I don't really feel like paying M$ any more money for this thing. Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

I've made a thread about it, and some others have as well in addition to posts here and other forums, but there still hasn't really been a solution from what I've seen.

It's a huge pain in the ass, but a lot of people say it's one of the symptoms before RROD, but it's been happening to me for nearly a year now with no red rings.

[quote name='invinceable104']I've made a thread about it, and some others have as well in addition to posts here and other forums, but there still hasn't really been a solution from what I've seen.

It's a huge pain in the ass, but a lot of people say it's one of the symptoms before RROD, but it's been happening to me for nearly a year now with no red rings.[/quote]

It's happening to me now as well. It actually has scratched two of my discs real good (Halo 3 and Assasins Creed). It's a shitty refubished unit from M$, which only has a 30 day warranty, so right now I'm SOL unless I get a RROD.

[quote name='lilboo']I'm really annoyed.
My Apt complex offers a free wireless internet. Now my PC is connected to Comcast, so that's fine.
I use my 360, Wii, and DS with their wireless internet since it works fine.

Their connection name is "linksys". It's been fine for the past 2 months. Now I've been havin problems with the connection. I go to search for access points..and now it says "linksys (duplicate)" so this means some douche has their connection name as the SAME?! Because it's also unsecured.

What makes me mad is that my cable modem from comcast is a "Telephony Modem" (LOL not making it up) since my cable, internet, and phone ar all connected to the same modem. There's only ONE ethernet port. This elimiates me plugging my 360 into my modem..and I SHOULD because my TV w/ Xbox (and Wii) is right next to me.

By any chance, would they even make like.. an ethernet hub? LOL like how a USB hub works?

My sister's fiance gave me a router, but to be honest.. I really would notknow how to set it up (in terms of setting up a WEP) and he's really useless too since he acts like he knows what he's talking about..since he set it up and it stopped working the next day (hence, why I decided to rely on the complex's wireless internet)

So..what can I do? This is pissing me off. I just want to be connected without any problems.[/QUOTE]

Give me a PM with your router's model number, etc. And try to accurately describe what you're trying to accomplish when you do, like what you want connected via wire, and wireless.

May not be able to help you until tomorrow, but I'll do my best.

[quote name='007']Mine does the same thing. Relax, it's normal.[/quote]

Yeah, all 360s do this. It's the orientation switch that determines if the 360 is laying flat or standing up. IIRC, it's nothing more than a metal ball that touches the one of two connectors, depending on how the 360 is sitting.

Guitar controllers have an identical switch for star power activation, that's why some guitars have that same rattle.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Does the wireless adapter use the USB port? (thereby making you plug your HD DVD into the front)[/QUOTE]

Yes, the official wireless adapter uses the USB port.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Does the wireless adapter use the USB port? (thereby making you plug your HD DVD into the front)[/QUOTE]
Yes, it uses USB, but the HD DVD drive also has USB ports on the back, as well as clips for the wireless adapter to attach to.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']:?:[/quote]

Make a new silver account and at the end of the process it will offer to up it to a 1-Month gold account.

[quote name='eatntae']Yes, it uses USB, but the HD DVD drive also has USB ports on the back, as well as clips for the wireless adapter to attach to.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, interesting. I wondered what that bulge in the back was for.

I purchased am open box 512MB memory unit at Best Buy (with the intention to transfer my game saves/profile to a new system), and noticed the game included (Geometry Wars) is gone. The card is blank. So I am wondering, is the whole game transferable to a HD? What's stopping people from jusy buying these cards, taking the XBL Arcade game on it (Worms or GW), and returning the unit?

I just now realized I could just swap out my HD from my other 360 with my new one >_

What's stopping people from jusy buying these cards, taking the XBL Arcade game on it (Worms or GW), and returning the unit?
As I found out a few days ago from purchasing my first memory unit, due to wanting to bring my profile and saves to a friends house, the games are locked to not allow copying or movement off the memory card. I attempted to move it onto my harddrive for simplicity sake and was greeted with a warning, stating that this could not be moved.

And I wish I knew there was a Worms version out before I bought it. I could have gotten it at the same price and then bought Geometry Wars cheaper then the price of Worms on it's own, at least that's what the cards at Target say.

My console has the freezing problem. Every game I play freezes. I guess it overheats super fast??

= (

I have to send it in. *cries*

*added*
Nm it started working again... weird

[quote name='invinceable104']I've made a thread about it, and some others have as well in addition to posts here and other forums, but there still hasn't really been a solution from what I've seen.

It's a huge pain in the ass, but a lot of people say it's one of the symptoms before RROD, but it's been happening to me for nearly a year now with no red rings.[/quote]
My buddy did some research and apparently there is a class action lawsuit that even Gamefly jumped in on because when MS started putting out the new chipsets, they also started using the BenQ drives primarily, thus pushing their drive production up massively. This was in part to defeat some of the modding since the BenQ's were the hardest to recode. In doing so, they removed some pads that helped keep the discs stable in the drives and now newer systems are scoring and scratching discs.

Its a problem that MS hasn't acknowledged, but they haven't denied and they're probably waiting to see how much this will cost them. So we've gone from RROD to crappy production drives that scratch discs.

Here's a link to a July news story about it, I can't find any current updates:

http://www.thegamegods.net/2007/07/09/microsoft-faces-lawsuit-scratched-xbox-360-discs/

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back