XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mike.m']My buddy did some research and apparently there is a class action lawsuit that even Gamefly jumped in on because when MS started putting out the new chipsets, they also started using the BenQ drives primarily, thus pushing their drive production up massively. This was in part to defeat some of the modding since the BenQ's were the hardest to recode. In doing so, they removed some pads that helped keep the discs stable in the drives and now newer systems are scoring and scratching discs.

Its a problem that MS hasn't acknowledged, but they haven't denied and they're probably waiting to see how much this will cost them. So we've gone from RROD to crappy production drives that scratch discs.[/quote]

Damn... will they ever get it right? I rented Assasin's Creed and it put some very nice white scrathces on it... also, it scratched my Halo 3 disc up pretty good as well.

[quote name='Rozz']Damn... will they ever get it right? I rented Assasin's Creed and it put some very nice white scrathces on it... also, it scratched my Halo 3 disc up pretty good as well.[/quote]

My buddy who did the research into what I just posted (he used to work at MS, so he likes keeping tabs on that stuff) said someone brought a brand new 360 over to his house this weekend and it scratched their Halo 3. It wouldn't play, and they went to rent a game and ended up playing Fuzion Frenzy 2 the whole weekend.

I have two questions dealing with Xbox Live. First, to create an Xbox Live account, do you have to have a credit card? And second, is it possible to purchase 1 Month Pre-Paid Xbox Live Cards? Can you get these at Gamestop and whatnot (and are they still $4)?

Well if Microsoft really DID service the xbox 360 and nothing else has happened to it since it was Serviced, then yea it should work as good as new

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I have two questions dealing with Xbox Live. First, to create an Xbox Live account, do you have to have a credit card? And second, is it possible to purchase 1 Month Pre-Paid Xbox Live Cards? Can you get these at Gamestop and whatnot (and are they still $4)?[/QUOTE]

1) Credit card is not required

2) Yes. Though I've never seen them cheaper than $7.99. I'd snoop around, you could find a year subscription for $30 or less.

[quote name='Aku']As I found out a few days ago from purchasing my first memory unit, due to wanting to bring my profile and saves to a friends house, the games are locked to not allow copying or movement off the memory card. I attempted to move it onto my harddrive for simplicity sake and was greeted with a warning, stating that this could not be moved.

And I wish I knew there was a Worms version out before I bought it. I could have gotten it at the same price and then bought Geometry Wars cheaper then the price of Worms on it's own, at least that's what the cards at Target say.[/QUOTE]

I just recently purchased a memory unit with an FYE giftcard. My intention was to copy my Live info onto it and then copy it to my buddy's 360 and vice versa, but there is no option to copy, only move. Can I not have my
profile on multiple consoles at the same time like I could with the OG Xbox? It was nice having my Live info on all my friends Xbox's so we didn't have to take a memory card with us everywhere.

[quote name='terribledeli']1) Credit card is not required

2) Yes. Though I've never seen them cheaper than $7.99. I'd snoop around, you could find a year subscription for $30 or less.[/quote]

If I remember right, Amazon might have a deal on some of those arcade xbox live things that come with a month xbox live gold for about $5.98 or so. I'm at work and I don't have the link here, so I'll check when I get home.

Quick question, I haven't been on Live in probably 2 months (busy with a ton of shit), but can anyone tell me what was in the Fall update? It says that I can now connect a mobile storage device (i.e. thumbdrive, etc I assume...), but can anyone tell me what types of mobile storage devices and does it work with external harddrives? Also, does it work with divx/xvid now so I can connect and watch trailers, etc.?

Question: I once owned a 360 until I received the 3 red lights of death. I want a new 360 badly. Do any of the newer models have the problem fixed yet?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Quick question, I haven't been on Live in probably 2 months (busy with a ton of shit), but can anyone tell me what was in the Fall update? It says that I can now connect a mobile storage device (i.e. thumbdrive, etc I assume...), but can anyone tell me what types of mobile storage devices and does it work with external harddrives? Also, does it work with divx/xvid now so I can connect and watch trailers, etc.?[/quote]

anyone?

[quote name='manofpeace20']Question: I once owned a 360 until I received the 3 red lights of death. I want a new 360 badly. Do any of the newer models have the problem fixed yet?[/quote]
Unfortunately, the answer is no. The newest models are still susceptable to the dreaded RRoD, as well as the less common but still frustrating DREs. When the RRoD problem is solved (if ever), you can reasonably assume that MS will make a big deal out of it; with a press conference, press release, official statement, etc.

In other words, if the RRoD problem is ever resolved with some measure of finality, you'll hear about it.

[quote name='zephie']Unfortunately, the answer is no. The newest models are still susceptable to the dreaded RRoD, as well as the less common but still frustrating DREs. When the RRoD problem is solved (if ever), you can reasonably assume that MS will make a big deal out of it; with a press conference, press release, official statement, etc.

In other words, if the RRoD problem is ever resolved with some measure of finality, you'll hear about it.[/quote]

The biggest cause of the RRoD was the shitty heatsink. All newer models have the fixed heatsink, which means that they are less susceptible to the RRoD. The problem is about as fixed as it's going to be.

Anybody know why my gamer card below has " Privacy Settings Enabled" where my played games should be? I've gone through and checked all my settings on my xbox, xbox live, and even xbox.com, and everything looks OK. This has just been happening the last few days....could it part of the problems live has been having lately?

Edit: Weird....it's OK now:whistle2:k

Edit2: Gone again...What's the deal?

Does anyone know why when I shut off my 360 it is still making sounds as though it were still on and is still charging my controller? When i turn it back on, the on button blinks furiously, acts weird, and then I have to hold the button in for it to truly shut itself off.

Anybody know what this is?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Does anyone know why when I shut off my 360 it is still making sounds as though it were still on and is still charging my controller? When i turn it back on, the on button blinks furiously, acts weird, and then I have to hold the button in for it to truly shut itself off.

Anybody know what this is?[/quote]

Maybe your out of batteris on your controller? Do the light spin around the giant xbox button in the middle? Because mine was doing that this morning, was also getting frequent disconnects..

Question: Are you guys sure achievements can't get erased or at least changed in the order they were..achieved?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Does anyone know why when I shut off my 360 it is still making sounds as though it were still on and is still charging my controller? When i turn it back on, the on button blinks furiously, acts weird, and then I have to hold the button in for it to truly shut itself off.

Anybody know what this is?[/QUOTE]

From http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/accessories/playchargekit.htm:

Charge While You Rest

If you leave your wireless controller connected to the charge cable after turning off your console, the console will continue to charge the controller's battery pack while the charge cable light glows red and the console fans run.

Once the battery pack is fully charged, the charge cable light and fans will turn off.

Anybody know what this is?[/quote]

It's in power saving mode when it charges the controller. When the controller is done charging, it will shut down the system completely.

hopefully i can find some help here, i got a black wireless controller for xmas, even though i dont have an elite, i tried connecting the controller to my 360 and it wouldn't establish a connection, is this because of my 360 not being an elite, or maybe it's because i had a peripheral plugged in taking channel 1? not sure what it is, any help would be appreciated.

Question: what audio formats can be played back on the 360, when streaming from your PC? I've been thinking about ripping my music in AAC from now on, but if I can't stream that over the 360 then I won't bother.

(sorry if this has already been addressed, but "aac" is too short of a term to do a search on)

[quote name='BustaUppa']Question: what audio formats can be played back on the 360, when streaming from your PC? I've been thinking about ripping my music in AAC from now on, but if I can't stream that over the 360 then I won't bother.

(sorry if this has already been addressed, but "aac" is too short of a term to do a search on)[/quote]

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=aac+on+360&btnG=Google+Search

Anything that isn't from iTunes will work on the 360.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I just recently purchased a memory unit with an FYE giftcard. My intention was to copy my Live info onto it and then copy it to my buddy's 360 and vice versa, but there is no option to copy, only move. Can I not have my
profile on multiple consoles at the same time like I could with the OG Xbox? It was nice having my Live info on all my friends Xbox's so we didn't have to take a memory card with us everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Anyone on this?

You can run your gamertag from the memory card from what I understand. If you don't want to take the memory card, you'll have to use Account Recovery; which is way unreliable atm.

OK I have a situation

When I first got my 360, I signed up under the name of Riyonuk on the xbox live website, unaware that in order to get my free month gold trial, I had to sign up on the actual xbox.

So how can I upgrade the account to gold? I tried calling the xbox support staff, and they told me they could only cancel the subscription, not the account. He said for me to try adding X's before and after the name >_>

[quote name='halfbent']You can run your gamertag from the memory card from what I understand. If you don't want to take the memory card, you'll have to use Account Recovery; which is way unreliable atm.[/quote] And if you do recover it on his Xbox, you'll have to do the same thing on your's as well, Live account can only be 'active' on one console. So memory card is probably the best bet if you're going to be playing on both of them alot.
[quote name='Riyonuk']OK I have a situation

When I first got my 360, I signed up under the name of Riyonuk on the xbox live website, unaware that in order to get my free month gold trial, I had to sign up on the actual xbox.

So how can I upgrade the account to gold? I tried calling the xbox support staff, and they told me they could only cancel the subscription, not the account. He said for me to try adding X's before and after the name >_>[/quote]
Your stuck deciding whether you want the X's or the free month. You can still upgrade using a 12-month card though, you just won't get the free month.

[quote name='anomynous']^^ Did you press the button on the top of the controller & the connect button on the 360?[/quote]
wow, thanks, i actually completely spaced the connect button on the 360, i did use the one on the controller, though, i will try that tonight, thanks again.

i have a question that may have been asked, but i'm not going through 50-odd pages to check. i changed some setting when i was playing bioshock so that my hard drive isn't the default memory device and i have to select it now whenever i'm loading a game. it isn't that big of a problem, but it bothers me. if anyone can help me i'd appreciate it.

Gamertags recover from MS, right? I recovered my account onto my cousins' 360, and they're not getting XBL anytime soon, so there shouldn't be a problem if I delete my account off of their 360, right?

[quote name='Liquid 2']Gamertags recover from MS, right? I recovered my account onto my cousins' 360, and they're not getting XBL anytime soon, so there shouldn't be a problem if I delete my account off of their 360, right?[/quote]Yes. You should be fine.

Quick Question, sorry if it has been posted before I am too lazy to read all the pages.

Anywho is there a big difference in the amount of downloadable game demo's and XBLA games between Silver and Gold. Since I am in school I wont have real access to the X-box (hence me not wanting to buy a gold subscription), and my dad doesn't online game (he just wants it to download demos and XBLA games). So I am just asking if there is a big difference in the amount of downloadable game demos between gold and silver memberships (and does silver have all the latest ones?).

Thanks

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Quick Question, sorry if it has been posted before I am too lazy to read all the pages.

Anywho is there a big difference in the amount of downloadable game demo's and XBLA games between Silver and Gold. Since I am in school I wont have real access to the X-box (hence me not wanting to buy a gold subscription), and my dad doesn't online game (he just wants it to download demos and XBLA games). So I am just asking if there is a big difference in the amount of downloadable game demos between gold and silver memberships (and does silver have all the latest ones?).

Thanks[/QUOTE]
No difference for Arcade games (as far as I know), but a one week delay for game demos.

So far Live is still not working for me..

If I create an offline profile, play some games, and unlock Achievements, later can I upload those to my online profile? Or will they be erased? Because I would actually like to play something right now, I'm so bored :(

Hey guys, quick question. I've got a Halo edition 360, but I'm using a premium HDD from my launch console that died a while back. I was thinking of transfering my profile and all my game saves to the Halo edition HDD with a memory unit. But then it says this:

By coping or moving these items, you will become the new owner. If you're not already the owner, you will not be able to earn achievements to gameplay using these items.
I should still be able to finish off the achievements for all my games right? Or would I need to be on Live to access any of my saved content since it's on a different HDD now? Any clarification would be helpful, thanks in advance.

[quote name='Riyonuk']So far Live is still not working for me..

If I create an offline profile, play some games, and unlock Achievements, later can I upload those to my online profile? Or will they be erased? Because I would actually like to play something right now, I'm so bored :([/quote]You should be fine. Just sign into your regular profile but don't connect to Live. Everything should be updated once you can sign on again. The only downside is that it won't record what day you actually unlocked the achievement. Other than that, it's perfectly fine to play with your original profile.

[quote name='Trakan']It's in power saving mode when it charges the controller. When the controller is done charging, it will shut down the system completely.[/quote]

read below, but thanks!

[quote name='Wet Ninja']From http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/accessories/playchargekit.htm:[/quote]
Thanks for the help. That basically answered my question, but what I don't understand is why does it do all the time after i tyr to shutdown my system. The thing is supposed to charge as I play correct? I usually don't even pull it out of the system/play wireless that much lately.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Quick question, I haven't been on Live in probably 2 months (busy with a ton of shit), but can anyone tell me what was in the Fall update? It says that I can now connect a mobile storage device (i.e. thumbdrive, etc I assume...), but can anyone tell me what types of mobile storage devices and does it work with external harddrives? Also, does it work with divx/xvid now so I can connect and watch trailers, etc.?[/quote]
bump since this hasn't been answered yet. How can you tell if the system can play DIVX or not? Have they even released divx compatibility yet like Sony has for the PS3? Also, which codecs/exetensions does that mean specifically?

One more thing, how does it scan for divx material? Just plug in a USB thumb drive or external HD and it can find the stuff? Can that be done for Mp3s?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']bump since this hasn't been answered yet. How can you tell if the system can play DIVX or not? Have they even released divx compatibility yet like Sony has for the PS3? Also, which codecs/exetensions does that mean specifically?

One more thing, how does it scan for divx material? Just plug in a USB thumb drive or external HD and it can find the stuff? Can that be done for Mp3s?[/QUOTE]
http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360...-tested-verdict-its-almost-perfect-329769.php

Just got the RROD...I have had my system since I got it new for Christmas 2006. Any chance I'll get a 360 w/HDMI back in the mail?

Controller question:

For the past day or so, my controller has started doing something where, right in the middle of playing, the controller lights, for lack of a better word, 'spin'. It's not all four flashing at once, it sort of spins, or changes between dual-quadrants (I.E. upper left & lower right at the same time, and then upper right and lower left at the same time).

I don't lose connection, it doesn't effect gameplay, it's just a little distracting when the lights start moving. Is this normal? Intereference? What?

It only started doing it after I began to play Mass Effect, so I assumed it was just something with that game. Then, a few minutes ago, I was playing Smackdown and it happened during that, too.

Should I be worried, or it just something I have to deal with since it doesn't hamper the ability to play anything?

Thanks!

[quote name='007']Controller question:

For the past day or so, my controller has started doing something where, right in the middle of playing, the controller lights, for lack of a better word, 'spin'. It's not all four flashing at once, it sort of spins, or changes between dual-quadrants (I.E. upper left & lower right at the same time, and then upper right and lower left at the same time).

I don't lose connection, it doesn't effect gameplay, it's just a little distracting when the lights start moving. Is this normal? Intereference? What?

It only started doing it after I began to play Mass Effect, so I assumed it was just something with that game. Then, a few minutes ago, I was playing Smackdown and it happened during that, too.

Should I be worried, or it just something I have to deal with since it doesn't hamper the ability to play anything?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
as far as i know, the batteries are dying. have replacements ready.

[quote name='spoo']http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360-divx%5Cxvid-test/xbox-360-divxxvid-playback-tested-verdict-its-almost-perfect-329769.php[/quote]

Thanks a bunch! Really, that was a great help! That should be placed in the OP.

Anyway, new question:

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
9.[/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']What are the different ways to play video content on Xbox 360?[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']You can play video from a USB 2.0 FAT32 removable drive, optical media, and by streaming from the Zune software, Windows Media Player 11, or Windows Home Server.

Does that mean that NTFS support for external HD isn't there? I use strict NTFS on my external HD becasue it is supposed to be better for bigger drives and for big files.

[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
12.[/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']What size USB storage device does the Xbox 360 support?[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The Xbox 360 will support as big of a storage device as you can format using FAT32. Unfortunately when formatting a device in Windows Vista or Windows XP you will be restricted to a maximum FAT32 size of 32GB. You can work around this limitation by using a 3rd party utility or using an alternative Operating System that does not have this restriction. Please note that the maximum size of any single file on FAT32 is 4GB.

I guess that confirms what I was asking.

[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] I guess i could try burning to a disc, but does it have to be a vid disc or data disc? I also have some big thumb drives. Would be interesting to see how divx works out on my tv through my 360.

Why doesn't the 360 offer NTFS support?
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back