XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='wowimsocute']as far as i know, the batteries are dying. have replacements ready.[/quote]
Huh, that wasn't the answer I was expecting.

About how long do batteries last in the 360 controller? I've only been using it since Christmas Eve, though I've likely put close to 40 hours in.

Also, the little 'how much battery life do you have left' thing says I still have three bars.

Though, I am using the batteries that came with the thing, so they may just be crap. Eh, I suppose I'll switch 'em out and see what happens.

Any ideas on the incorrect battery reading, though?

Thanks for the reply!

I've had some incorrect battery readings with the packs. Two bars left, and the halo is going crazy telling me the batteries are dead.

And the packs are, BTW, just two rechargeable AAs.

Alright, well, at least that makes some sense. I guess the two AAs that came with it are just crapping out on me.

I'm glad it's something I can take care of easily, as opposed to some problem with the controller.

Thanks, guys!

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm considering changing my Gamertag. My question is, will I be able to switch it back to the current tag later on if/when I choose?[/quote]
Only if the following two things are true:

1. The original gamertag is still available and not taken by someone else.
2. You are willing to pay $10 again.

~HotShotX

I thought someone here mentioned that your old gamertag is considered "taken" and can't be re-recovered. I'm pretty certain you wouldn't be able to Matt Young it ever again.

[quote name='ZForce915']I thought someone here mentioned that your old gamertag is considered "taken" and can't be re-recovered. I'm pretty certain you wouldn't be able to Matt Young it ever again.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is true. It's kinda stupid and should be considered taken by YOU. But I'm pretty sure you can't :bomb:

When you change your gamertag, the previous or original name will be purged from the system and be open for anyone to take.

I have a friend that used that technique to "delete" his gamerscore back to 0(instead of changing his name back, he created a new silver, then gold account). Of course, it's actually just a new account that happens to have his old name so he lost his friends list and saves. You wouldn't have to worry about that Matt since you'd just be changing your name back on the same account.

I'm about to get a wireless router. I'll be using a wired port for the 360 itself, but my PC will connect to the router wirelessly. I'll still be able to stream video and music from the PC onto the 360, right? Also, how good of a wireless adapter should I go for? I'm willing to splurge a little, I just wanna make sure I don't overshoot and get some big expensive thing that doesn't offer a noticeable improvement in the streaming.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Will there ever be any free XBLA games? Also, I formatted my HDD, so I no longer have that Hexic game :([/quote]

I dunno if they still do it, but the same happened to me almost 2 years ago. I called customer service, and while it took a few days for approval, I was given a download code for Hexic.

There are a few free games on XBL, as well. At least they were when they first came out. One is Aegis Wing and another is Yaris. I'm not sure if they are still free, or even available for download now.

Also, I just read on MN's blog that due the recent XBL issues, a free game with be issued to all members in the coming weeks. Who knows what the game will be, though.

[quote name='sp00ge']I dunno if they still do it, but the same happened to me almost 2 years ago. I called customer service, and while it took a few days for approval, I was given a download code for Hexic.

There are a few free games on XBL, as well. At least they were when they first came out. One is Aegis Wing and another is Yaris. I'm not sure if they are still free, or even available for download now.

Also, I just read on MN's blog that due the recent XBL issues, a free game with be issued to all members in the coming weeks. Who knows what the game will be, though.[/quote]

Alright, Thanks! I will be giving them a call :)

Has anyone out there used the 360 wireless gaming reciever for windows?

My dad gave me his old controller because the play and charge kit will not work with it. So I got a free wireless controller, anyway I was thinking about buying the reciever for my pc playing and I was just curious if anyone has used it (any opinions) and do I need to use the play and charge kit port on the controller for anything (because it doesn't work)?

Thanks

[quote name='Riyonuk']Will there ever be any free XBLA games? Also, I formatted my HDD, so I no longer have that Hexic game :([/quote]

there have been a couple of free XBLA games (i think ive downloaded 3 or 4) and you can't get Hexic back anymore..i tried about 2 months ago

Ok, hopefully I can explain this well enough that it makes sense...

If I get my gamertag from my xbox and put it on a memory card to go over to my friends house, and at my friends house I get an achievement, is my gamertag updated through xbox live (so that my gamertag on my xbox would get the points for the achievement) or do I need to re-apply from the memory card to my xbox?

Also, if I used the memory card to save space by keeping XBLA games or something on there, I could pretty much just plug it in and play them, correct?

Im making my own thread to attract more attention than the "General Q" thread because I want to fix it as soon as possible (if needed). Please understand mods. However, if it has to be moved, go ahead..

As some may know, I bought a 360 on eBay last week. I got it yesterday night since the Seller's mom was in the hospital. Anyway, I open the package and it comes with 4 games. One of the games is missing. I pray to god that the missing game isn't in the system, but it is. The controller is grimy as hell -- console is a bit better. So, I spend the next 1-2 hours cleaning the controller and "just" the outside of console. There's like this white powder around the analog stick. I don't know if I should snort it or get rid of that shit. Great Condition my ass. Okay.. Now onto the real stuff. Enough complaining:

Anyway, I plug everything in and set console Vertically. It runs fine. It boots up normally and the 360 is kind of quiet. I try to put CoD4 in but the drive won't open. It makes the noise that it's opening and closing, but it nothing happens. Confused, I slant the 360 a bit and the drive opens. So, I put it back vertically and put CoD4 in. The console boots up the game then the 360 gets SIGNIFICANTLY louder. Like, double or triple the fan noise. I slant the 360 while CoD4 is running but the drive makes a CHGCHGCHG sound. Luckily, CoD4 is still unscratched. After further testing, the drive pretty much only opens when I put console sideways, or slant it so it's at like a 45-60 degree angle -- not 100% vertical. My first question is, how do I fix this?

My second question is the fan noise. When you play a game, should the fan be loud? It's like my computer. I found demos on the 360 -- that require no disc and the 360 "fan" noise stays the same like if you were on the main menu. If I get a chance, I'll record the sound/pic. But, how loud is the 360? The Wii only makes a small fan noise when it's running a game.

I could try to return to seller since A. he was careless and didn't even clean the stuff; also shipped late AND shipped using wrong method. Or, I can try to fix anything myself. Not sure about the warranty on this thing.

Should I spray my airduster into the fans or what? Is there a way to hinder the fan noise?

Much help appreciated. Chrono

Put the console horizontal if you have the room. Do not move the console while it is on and a game is inside spinning.

Yes. It's going to be loud. 2-3x loud. My 360 is so loud that I can hear it across the room. There is nothing you can do about that.

What is the build date on the system? It sounds like you have an older one that is about to go. My original 360 started doing that with the drive, then one day it just RRoD'ed on me. They replaced the drive and it's been fine.

my disc drive does the same thing. i find by just pushing the outside of the drive when i hit the open switch (mind you just a small push, nothing major that would even move the console), it opens just fine. the system is also very loud with games as well, it has been a while since i have played anything bud CoD, but i dont remember the system sounding so loud before with those games. it could also be the refurb system they sent me after my original was freezing on all my games (it has a different serial # on this one than my original).

how much did u buy it for and does the person have alot of feedback that u got the system from

how do you check the date? :O i would love to know :)

i own 2 360. and when i have them both on i can only hear one cuz of the noise it makes.

altough i think it is cozy :)

[quote name='Chronotrigga']How do I check? Is it one of the labels on the back?

Edit: 9-20-2006

So.. I should probably get it replaced? :D[/quote]

That's a pretty old system. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. I'd wait till it starts giving you problems (which it will).

My system from March 06 died last month, but it's back now.

[quote name='starmask2k3']how much did u buy it for and does the person have alot of feedback that u got the system from[/quote]

wow..NONE of that information matters

sit it horizontally.....vertical = generally bad for the 360 and do not move it when a game is in it.....it is loud - always has been...as long as it plays games you are fine

i would have them send out a coffin now. btw does anyone know if the 3 year warrenty starts from the date of purchase or if its from the console date on the back of the system.

If you had to go through that much trouble, after being told the system was "in great condition", I would simply file a complaint with eBay and try to get your money back.

Meh. Anyway, earlier this morning I got the RRoD -- I think. I booted up CoD4 and after I started from previous mission it just shut off and the green power button was blinking, as well as 3 other lights. However, that's probably because I put the 360 behind my TV Stand on the floor and next to supply box. I moved it to the open and it's been working ever since . Just really loud :D. Is there a way to check if your 360 still has warranty?

I still have to send it back to seller if I complain right? I'd lose like $15.. but to get another 360 system.. hm..

I think all 360s are still under warranty for RRoD, but I could be wrong.
If you call and for some reason its not - I'd file under paypal since apparently this seller hasnt gotten anything right so far. in the transaction

Sounds like you got a dud 360. I bought my first one off ebay as used. That was my first mistake. The controller was in decent condition. It worked fine,but the system looked a little banged up. I ended up keeping it, and it last about 6-7 months. I would take the advice above me. lol

all 360's have a 3 year RRoD warranty....if it gets fixed for RRoD then you get another 3 yr warranty for RRoD...if you get it fixed out of warranty you have 90 days (i think) for RRoD

Yeah, just hope for RROD and to get a newer refurb back.

I can't believe people on here actually buy 360s used, given how shoddy the earlier hardware is.

What's the usual wait time? I might try and pick up the free Arcade game from the XLive Downtime. Also, if it ends up not being fixed for RRoD, do I have to pay? Like, if I added that the disc drive won't open vertically, they could fix off of that anyway right?

[quote name='Dunvane']Ok, hopefully I can explain this well enough that it makes sense...

If I get my gamertag from my xbox and put it on a memory card to go over to my friends house, and at my friends house I get an achievement, is my gamertag updated through xbox live (so that my gamertag on my xbox would get the points for the achievement) or do I need to re-apply from the memory card to my xbox?

Also, if I used the memory card to save space by keeping XBLA games or something on there, I could pretty much just plug it in and play them, correct?[/QUOTE]

Since my questions got skipped over from the ebay-360 question, I'll just repost them.

Just as expected.. no one answers this thread. :p

edit: I registered the 360 on my Gamertag. It is now Warranty Status: Out of Warranty and it expired December 1st, 2007. So.. how do I renew it? Is it possible?

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Just as expected.. no one answers this thread. :p

edit: I registered the 360 on my Gamertag. It is now Warranty Status: Out of Warranty and it expired December 1st, 2007. So.. how do I renew it? Is it possible?[/quote]I don't think you can renew or buy an extended warranty once the initial period runs out. It's a policy put in by the company to keep those with console failures that are out of warranty from just going out and buying it when the consoles fail.

Dunvane, if I knew the answer to your question, I'd tell you. But I gots no idea.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Is it detrimental to let batteries sit idle in the Quick Charger after they've been charged?[/quote]Most rechargable batteries recommend that you don't let a fully charged battery sit idle for an extended period of time. The best thing to do with a fully or near full battery is to use the device (ipod, psp, ds, controller) until it least half the charge has been used, if you want to prolong the overall life of the battery.

Of course, the last time I read about rechargable batteries was around four or five years ago. Technology may have changed since then.

Okay, here's my question. I finally got around to bringing back my old 360 to Microcenter today, for a new arcade 360. (I didn't need another hdd, and I wanted the cheapest set with an hdmi port.) At home, we take it out of the box and set it up to test it. Gears plays fine, Ace Combat 6 is beautiful.

Halo 3 in multiplayer split screen is bizarre. The sides of the playing screen are basically cut off (left and right sides). The menu screens all go to the proper full widths, and you can even tell that the HUD goes beyond the playing field (basically, the grenade meter extends a tiny bit into the black void of the left side of the screen). I called MS and they had no idea what was causing this.

The girl suggested turning off 'fullscreen' in our video options and if that wasn't on, to turn it on. But we were playing in 1080 and even tried in 720 and in 1080 & 720 there is no Fullscreen option. We did try dumping it to 480 and it did fill up the entire width of the screen, but the brightness was horrible. It was all washed out and very over-exposed for lack of a better technical term.

Could it be the hdmi cable? We've played co-op split screen four or five times with the component cables and never had this problem on the older 360. I'd have tested it with the component cables, but those were returned with the older, dead system.

And apologies if I'm not very clear in what the problem is. If no one understands me, I'll try taking pics tomorrow or wednesday.

So I'm planning on finally picking up a 360 Pro sometime this week and was just wondering if people had good general advice for new Xbox owners. Anything from game suggestions to hardware tips would be welcome. Any advice for minimizing the chance of hardware failures? I'm thinking I'll get Best Buy's protection plan as insurance. They've saved me a ton of money in the past so I'm a big fan, plus a friend's 360 recently suffered a non-RRoD failure just a few days over warranty so now I'm paranoid.

I've got Mass Effect already so that should keep me busy for a while. Recommendation-wise, I know there's CoD, Bioshock, etc., of course... Are there any lesser-known games that have gotten lost in the hype?

Sorry if there are a bunch of these kinds of posts hiding out. I checked the general thread but amazingly it had been deleted and I didn't feel like sorting through all 60 pages of what was left.

Disclaimer: I don't even have a 360. :(

Get the Orange Box if you can't get it for PC. Let nothing stand between it and you.
Pick up Panzer Dragoon Orta and JSR for the original Xbox if you don't have them already.
Stock up on XBLA points for Rez, Ikaruga, and the Dishwasher should that ever come out.

For minimizing the chance of hardware failures, just treat it like you'd treat any delicate piece of electronics. Minimize heat (i.e. don't put it in an entertainment center or a place where it can't get good ventilation), don't move it while there's a disc inside, leave it horizontal, etc. Everybody says it'll fail sooner or later, though, so the BB warranty is a good idea.

I'm guessing from your post you like shooters, as well as RPGs. I'd reccomend Call of Duty 4 as an awesome title (know you put it there already, just has to be said ;) ), as well as Orange Box. Dead Rising isn't as hyped up anymore, but I loved that game. Viva Pinata is a nice, interesting step back from the standard 'murder everything in sight' gameplay. The Darkness is a fairly interesting game; doesn't truly tickle my fancy, but not bad at all. Condemned can be found for $15 and below, and is a fairly good game. Naruto: Rise of a Ninja is, surprisingly, fairly good.

For arcade games, I'd strongly reccomend Puzzle Quest (you will lose your soul to it) and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. If you didn't have an original Xbox, pick up Ninja Gaiden, Psychonauts, and Knights of the Old Republic I and II: Gamestop's having a B1G1 free sale (make sure you bring the coupon, though, because it was apparently an error; supposed to be B2G1 free) on Xbox games, so now's a good time.

[quote name='IOnceWasLegend']For minimizing the chance of hardware failures, just treat it like you'd treat any delicate piece of electronics. Minimize heat (i.e. don't put it in an entertainment center or a place where it can't get good ventilation), don't move it while there's a disc inside, leave it horizontal, etc. Everybody says it'll fail sooner or later, though, so the BB warranty is a good idea.

I'm guessing from your post you like shooters, as well as RPGs. I'd reccomend Call of Duty 4 as an awesome title (know you put it there already, just has to be said ;) ), as well as Orange Box. Dead Rising isn't as hyped up anymore, but I loved that game. Viva Pinata is a nice, interesting step back from the standard 'murder everything in sight' gameplay. The Darkness is a fairly interesting game; doesn't truly tickle my fancy, but not bad at all. Condemned can be found for $15 and below, and is a fairly good game. Naruto: Rise of a Ninja is, surprisingly, fairly good.

For arcade games, I'd strongly reccomend Puzzle Quest (you will lose your soul to it) and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. If you didn't have an original Xbox, pick up Ninja Gaiden, Psychonauts, and Knights of the Old Republic I and II: Gamestop's having a B1G1 free sale (make sure you bring the coupon, though, because it was apparently an error; supposed to be B2G1 free) on Xbox games, so now's a good time.[/quote]
Yeah, Psychonauts is another must-have.

Kameo was really good and its really cheap
Oblivion is a must have for any 360 owner if you didnt get it yet.
Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon are good additions if you like RPGs
The Darkness is pretty fun..and if you liked the comic book, than its a must have
PGR 4,Forza 2,DiRt are all fantastic racers in their own right.

Buy the Best Buy warrenty for 50 bucks or whatever it is. If you send it back to Microsoft it takes at least a month where for Best Buy its a 20 minute drive to the store.

When playing XboxLive, I couldn't connect to any of my friends in my area. I kept recieving a "Unable to Connect to Host" error. Is it because I used the 48hour trial code, or because I connected my 360 to my laptop to get on Live?

[quote name='tankexmortis'] Pick up Panzer Dragoon Orta and JSR for the original Xbox if you don't have them already.[/quote]

Amazingly, I have both those games in the mail already. They were at the top of my Xbox 1 list since I never owned one. I just wish Otogi and Gunvalkyrie worked on the 360. Rez and (maybe) Ikaruga are must-buys. I had to look up the Dishwasher but it sounds like it could be crazy enough to be good. I'll keep an eye on it.

Eternal Sonata and Oblivion I'll probably check out on the PS3 because of the extra content, but I'll give Blue Dragon a try.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back