Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
when you mentioned "that part" in season, are you talking about the one with Saki? i liked that it actually steer away from your regular mecha type anime directions, and showed a little originality and boldness
To be honest, I actually didn't mind it. I only saw it as unexpected and bold. I only mention it because it made a lot of people uncomfortable and cause them to decry it and stay away. I still prefer to ship Saki x Haruto

Final Verdict: Skip Bleach. Minimal story. Maximum filler. Sets are expensive for only a few episodes.

I'll wait for Bleach Kai in a few years from now seeing as this ends in November, Naruto anime ends maybe next year so what is the next Shounen 

actually by that site bleach is worse than naruto... bleach comes in at 45% filler naruto comes in at 41% gotta love one piece is only 14% filler :p
Heh, yeah I did see that. Naruto did have 80 straight episodes of filler though. If you would combine Naruto and Shippuden together, Naruto would definitely take the cake. I haven't watched One Piece in years but I always got the gist that they stretched out the canon material so much so that the anime wouldn't have to resort to filler like so many other shonen animes have done.

I also got a good laugh from that site as they put up series like Cowboy Bebop on a filler guide. Like what the hell? lol

Final Verdict: Skip Bleach. Minimal story. Maximum filler. Sets are expensive for only a few episodes.

I'll wait for Bleach Kai in a few years from now seeing as this ends in November, Naruto anime ends maybe next year so what is the next Shounen
The Bleach anime is done, but not the manga. The final arc (which is really good, IMO) has not been animated.

Heh, yeah I did see that. Naruto did have 80 straight episodes of filler though. If you would combine Naruto and Shippuden together, Naruto would definitely take the cake. I haven't watched One Piece in years but I always got the gist that they stretched out the canon material so much so that the anime wouldn't have to resort to filler like so many other shonen animes have done.

I also got a good laugh from that site as they put up series like Cowboy Bebop on a filler guide. Like what the hell? lol
Cowboy Bebop with fillers? lol yeah right

At least Bleach had Filler Seasons. As for One Piece, they could just keep adding islands make arcs based on that. :lol:

The Bleach anime is done, but not the manga. The final arc (which is really good, IMO) has not been animated.
I'm under the impression Bleach's Final Arc will get animated after the Manga's conclusion. Probably be called Bleach: Final Act. :lol:

The consensus definition of filler is anything not contributing to the main plot. Bebop just happens to have way better fillers than most other TV shows.
The site wasn't referring to that sort of filler, it meant filler from the story in the manga and every episode had canon next to it... you know because Bebop didn't have a manga, lol.

Oh god is that annoying, time for the arc to wrap up oh wait a mysterious island has appeared, lets check that out first.
Number one reason why I dropped it. We're finally at the end point. Wait nope more filler. Wait the filler is done. Jk more filler. That and because they stopped doing those overall collections and are now doing those voyage ones that are broken down into parts. Collecting any shounen will make your head spin and wallet cry

If anyone is interested, SecondSpin has a 30% off sale (SSOCT3VC) and goHastings has a 30% off sale as well (abbynormal).

It doesn't beat the 40% off sales SS has...or whatever Hastings will do this year for sales...but it's fine for little items that are marked down or very low stock items.

I am still thinking about getting a copy of Maburaho Complete Collection used from Hastings even though the 30% off code doesn't work on it (it's $30 in case anyone else wants it).  As if waiting for the holiday sales wasn't bad enough LOL.

If anyone is interested, SecondSpin has a 30% off sale (SSOCT3VC) and goHastings has a 30% off sale as well (abbynormal).

It doesn't beat the 40% off sales SS has...or whatever Hastings will do this year for sales...but it's fine for little items that are marked down or very low stock items.

I am still thinking about getting a copy of Maburaho Complete Collection used from Hastings even though the 30% off code doesn't work on it (it's $30 in case anyone else wants it). As if waiting for the holiday sales wasn't bad enough LOL.
It depends though.

For the most part SS are usually closer to the lower end of the Amazon marketplace low prices for most titles, while Hastings has an added 25% mark up on the marketplace prices built into their algorithm. So technically a 40% off sale is still really a 15% off sale if you take into account the mark up. For SS however, the items that are matching the lowest price will vary more than Hastings, so it may be harder to find better deals than Hastings with some of the titles since they are priced fairly higher/mid range.

Shipping for SS is $3.99, but that is $3.99 for the whole order, so if you order 3 items or more it comes out to the same price Hastings would charge.

SS generally has better shipping methods, and ordering multiple items usually just ship in a box. Hastings has recently started using UPS innovations, which blows, and is incredibly slow, and they generally don't pack items in anything more than the mailer. Although, I've seen SS use the cardboard wrapping to send some single items too.

I personally love shopping at SS, but it's just waiting for sales such as these that makes it worth it, especially if you can find the right titles.

DBZ Battle of the Gods is not only out, but Amazon has it on sale: http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Extended-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00MX3B0CE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413222830&sr=8-1&keywords=battle+of+the+gods

I don't know how long it was out, I didn't even know it came out until a buddy told me a week ago, but when I looked it up then Amazon had it at nearly full price so I think I am gonna jump on this now..... if for no other reason than the fact that I really wanna see it again lol.
50 cents cheaper at RS lol. Also if you have a GotAnime membership then it will stack, coupons as well (if there are any worth using at the moment)

Just don't expect them to be consistent in helping you with getting slipcovers for your order.

;)
I've actually had pretty good luck with all my stuff arriving with slipcovers, so no complaints from my end. ^___^

Plus, it's not like Hastings will do anything to help you get your slipcover either, they'll just let you return it, and try again with a reorder. ;P

50 cents cheaper at RS lol. Also if you have a GotAnime membership then it will stack, coupons as well (if there are any worth using at the moment)
What's RS (or do you mean Rightstuf?), how much do they charge for shipping, and are there any coupons? Amazon seems to be backordered as they still haven't shipped the copy I ordered over the weekend (even though I used Prime 2 day shipping :cry: ). It's odd though since the site didn't say it was backordered when I made my purchase.

Oh well, I'd be willing to cancel and reorder if I can save $5 or more.

Last edited:
What's RS (or do you mean Rightstuf?), how much do they charge for shipping, and are there any coupons? Amazon seems to be backordered as they still haven't shipped the copy I ordered over the weekend (even though I used Prime 2 day shipping :cry: ). It's odd though since the site didn't say it was backordered when I made my purchase.

Oh well, I'd be willing to cancel and reorder if I can save $5 or more.
yes rightstuf, if you have the got anime you save like 10% i think. the shipping for me is always free but thats only if your order is at 50$ or more, if its not it shouldn't be over 3$ish (also depending on your location).

So you wont save 5$ most likely.

-w. GA you save like $2 and some change. the shipping will most likely be the same as Amazon but you would probably get it quicker if Amz is back ordered.

I don't know, but I hope Rightstuf lists those DBZ sets at $20 for the upcoming holiday sale.

I like Bleach only when the Soul Society (well, the Soul Realm) isn't involved. It's for this reason that I like the "filler" more than the canon material. BTW, I heard there are only 3 episodes left on Adult Swim before it's replaced [with DBZ Kai i think]; I was liking the "Wanted"esque story until these soul society people arrived and proceeded with dragged out fighting.

Is .hack the first time Funimation is releasing a subbed only DVD?    I wonder if they would/could do that with Case Closed/Detective Conan.

Case Closed didn't sell very well. The failure of that and Sgt. Frog might have weaned FUNi off of longer series (except for Fairy Tail) for the time being. Long runners seem to be Viz's territory now.

I can see all those DBZ sets hitting 20 or lower during the sales and that's when I'll pick up the majority of them. however, i have noticed that a random season will dip in price at amazon so keep your eyes peeled. sometimes for example s4 will be 19.99 or 20.81 and then two hours later back to msrp

I don't know, but I hope Rightstuf lists those DBZ sets at $20 for the upcoming holiday sale.

I like Bleach only when the Soul Society (well, the Soul Realm) isn't involved. It's for this reason that I like the "filler" more than the canon material. BTW, I heard there are only 3 episodes left on Adult Swim before it's replaced [with DBZ Kai i think]; I was liking the "Wanted"esque story until these soul society people arrived and proceeded with dragged out fighting.

Is .hack the first time Funimation is releasing a subbed only DVD? I wonder if they would/could do that with Case Closed/Detective Conan.
That's exactly what I'm hoping. I've only got through season three, and I would love to just clean up and get all the rest at $20 or less between BF and their Holiday sale.

It depends though.

For the most part SS are usually closer to the lower end of the Amazon marketplace low prices for most titles, while Hastings has an added 25% mark up on the marketplace prices built into their algorithm. So technically a 40% off sale is still really a 15% off sale if you take into account the mark up. For SS however, the items that are matching the lowest price will vary more than Hastings, so it may be harder to find better deals than Hastings with some of the titles since they are priced fairly higher/mid range.

Shipping for SS is $3.99, but that is $3.99 for the whole order, so if you order 3 items or more it comes out to the same price Hastings would charge.

SS generally has better shipping methods, and ordering multiple items usually just ship in a box. Hastings has recently started using UPS innovations, which blows, and is incredibly slow, and they generally don't pack items in anything more than the mailer. Although, I've seen SS use the cardboard wrapping to send some single items too.

I personally love shopping at SS, but it's just waiting for sales such as these that makes it worth it, especially if you can find the right titles.
I completely agree with you. Hastings is not the same as it once was (hindsight with how good those prices were is 20/20), and outside of the occasional great deal where someone on Amazon sells a copy for extremely cheap with FSSS and Hastings matches it that morning when a sale is going on, that markup is almost always present.

I also find UPS (and Hastings) to be very slow and getting things to me now (I wish they would just use USPS again). I've still bought a lot of anime (clearance or collections) from them in the past 6 months anyway despite the shipping woes (Mahoromatic, Godannar, Shattered Angels, various movies...)

I've made four orders to Secondspin within the last two months and I look forward to making more of them. I've gotten boxes from them in all different sizes based on how much I've ordered, but at least they were boxes. :D

The question is whether I make another order tomorrow or wait much longer for it and press my luck for the much bigger sales. I'm probably going to cave in for one or two items because I don't feel like pressing it. -_-

Hastings package is once again about an hour and a half almost two away from me. EDD-Thursday. Which means it'll sit there at the UPS facility until Thursday at 3:00 in the morning when it will be transferred to the USPS. I ordered this a the beginning of October and it won't get here until the middle. The sad part is Hastings has terrible customer service with only 1 person working the phone and will simply say "you can return it and wait another 7-21 days for a hastings refund if you are not satisfied" 

The sad part is the deals are so good that I can't resist purchasing from them even after all the shit they put me through (gunslinger girl)

Patience. Srsly. It'll be there when it should be there. Even earlier if you're lucky. GoHastings estimated delivery times is 3-10 Days (I personally don't count Sunday, Initial Order Date, and Subsequent Order Date). They don't ship it immediately unless they actually have it ready, which they don't. 

It was sub $50? $57 is the cheapest I've seen it... :(
Mine is locked in at $55.99 before taxes and I ordered it July 22, 2014. I never saw it under that unless it was the "standard" edition. AKA poormans DVD version. :)

That must suck collecting something on BD and then next release is DVD only for the foreseeable future. Kinda reminds me of when I just started collecting Death Note and I got the first box set and then second box set goes oop and its just a slim case dvd. Tempted to get the complete series but that would mean trading in the old ones for pennies on the dollar  

The non-Anime Classics version has been $18-$20 multiple tines and is easy to get Used.
I want it too, so thanks for the info/reminder on that. Maybe it will be that cheap to get new during the holidays.

I'll wait to make another SecondSpin order and just go for the thrill of that big sale. Getting Gundam Seed Collection 2 at all and cheaply putting so many other anime together (via single volumes) are fine because I wasn't taking a chance on waiting and it was so easy to do, but the rest can wait.

Is it normal to spend $300+ on anime in two weeks once you get into knowing what you want to own and watch?

I can see all those DBZ sets hitting 20 or lower during the sales and that's when I'll pick up the majority of them. however, i have noticed that a random season will dip in price at amazon so keep your eyes peeled. sometimes for example s4 will be 19.99 or 20.81 and then two hours later back to msrp
I always thought these HD sets were DBZ Kai, not DBZ..... that's what a buddy on here told me..... but when I was looking at it in store the other day I couldn't tell. Are these like an HDified orange brick or something? Are they DBZ Kai? Anything you guys could tell me would be greatly appreciated, I was considering picking up the Kai series just because my friend owns the orange bricks and is very generous with letting me borrow them whenever, but it would still be nice to own the series myself lol.

One of the sets I'm talking about, Season 2, is $16.96 on Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Blu-ray-Sean-Schemmel/dp/B00GS4B7GS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413290572&sr=8-4&keywords=DBZ

Again, now that I look I see no indication as to whether it's like an HDified Orange Brick, DBZ Kai, or something else entirely. Because now that I look at the package, it really doesn't look like kai lol. And does it have that feature the bricks had where you can watch the English dub with the original Japanese music?

While on the topic, I have one more question: Did DBZ Kai ever get to the Buu saga? lol I just realized I never saw anything on that either way.

Last edited:
I always thought these HD sets were DBZ Kai, not DBZ..... that's what a buddy on here told me..... but when I was looking at it in store the other day I couldn't tell. Are these like an HDified orange brick or something? Are they DBZ Kai? Anything you guys could tell me would be greatly appreciated, I was considering picking up the Kai series just because my friend owns the orange bricks and is very generous with letting me borrow them whenever, but it would still be nice to own the series myself lol.

One of the sets I'm talking about, Season 2, is $16.96 on Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Blu-ray-Sean-Schemmel/dp/B00GS4B7GS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413290572&sr=8-4&keywords=DBZ

Again, now that I look I see no indication as to whether it's like an HDified Orange Brick, DBZ Kai, or something else entirely. Because now that I look at the package, it really doesn't look like kai lol. And does it have that feature the bricks had where you can watch the English dub with the original Japanese music?

While on the topic, I have one more question: Did DBZ Kai ever get to the Buu saga? lol I just realized I never saw anything on that either way.
It's a remaster of the original series, and yes its got the dub with japanese, or english music.

They're only just now airing the buu saga of Kai in japan, should be here soon, I imagine.

It's a remaster of the original series, and yes its got the dub with japanese, or english music.

They're only just now airing the buu saga of Kai in japan, should be here soon, I imagine.
Thanks for the info. I think I will wait and see what happens with the pricing. The Kai blu-rays seem pretty damn steep, hopefully we'll get a good sale or something. Getting the original series in HD sounds pretty tempting too, but I don't think I could justify paying more than $15 or so for any one season.

I don't suppose there are any plans for either DB Kai or an HDified DB release are there?

Thanks for the info. I think I will wait and see what happens with the pricing. The Kai blu-rays seem pretty damn steep, hopefully we'll get a good sale or something. Getting the original series in HD sounds pretty tempting too, but I don't think I could justify paying more than $15 or so for any one season.

I don't suppose there are any plans for either DB Kai or an HDified DB release are there?
kai hasn't really dropped low enough to buy it (if it had i'd own it by now lol) the cheapest sets are the parts, but if you go that route then you'll end up spending more than if u had just bought the season sets.

You can get Kai for $20-$25 a set Used by using sales and coupon codes.

Kai's Blu-rays just have character portraits (Goku charging a Kamehameha, SS Goku vs. Freeza, Trunks killing Freza, and Goku & Gohan firing a Kamehameha) on the cover art whereas DBZ OG have scenes. It also has the word "Kai" on the cover. ^_^

bread's done
Back