Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='zewone']You have to remember that Rolento has been hyping this game since God knows when.[/QUOTE]

:lol: good point. I do see that that needs to be taken into account >_

[quote name='help1']I saw some newer videos, and I am seeing what you are now.

The stealthy mission with that Jamaican guy.

The video where he "falcon punches" the guy into the path of an oncoming train.

Loved em both.
[/quote]

Link?

[quote name='janglypangly']From what I can tell, I'd prefer the targeting system in San Andreas... :([/QUOTE]

you can turn the auto-lock on or off. awesomely enough you can do the same for multiplayer so it plays more like a FPS/3PS.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']you can turn the auto-lock on or off. awesomely enough you can do the same for multiplayer so it plays more like a FPS/3PS.[/quote]

IMO, there should be no lock-on option available at all online.

Um, since I haven't read this anywhere, and cut me some slack there are over 1300 posts in this thread, any word on if there's any local multiplayer in GTA IV? I'd be happy with just a sandbox multiplayer, to be honest.

[quote name='DustHimself']Um, since I haven't read this anywhere, and cut me some slack there are over 1300 posts in this thread, any word on if there's any local multiplayer in GTA IV? I'd be happy with just a sandbox multiplayer, to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Yes I'd like to know as well :) Would love to play local multi player with my sis.

[quote name='janglypangly']Yes I'd like to know as well :) Would love to play local multi player with my sis.[/quote]
According to the Devs, NO :( There are said to be mission type games online for up to you and 3 friends (4 people total).

No local multiplayer. sorry...

if anything though if there's a demand for it, it may come as a downloadable patch. but then the same could be said for urine rain as a patch.

What is it with games in general not having local multiplayer these days? I mean, am I supposed to buy the game and then tell all my friends to go home so we can all play together? I know gamers are supposed to be anti-social and socially akward, but theres no reason to reinforce the sterotype.

[quote name='xcoax']What is it with games in general not having local multiplayer these days? I mean, am I supposed to buy the game and then tell all my friends to go home so we can all play together? I know gamers are supposed to be anti-social and socially akward, but theres no reason to reinforce the sterotype.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same. I at least wish R* would have added system link.

[quote name='xcoax']What is it with games in general not having local multiplayer these days? I mean, am I supposed to buy the game and then tell all my friends to go home so we can all play together? I know gamers are supposed to be anti-social and socially akward, but theres no reason to reinforce the sterotype.[/quote]

yeah waht the fuck Ninja turtles and double dragon arcade games

fuck what happen to split screen it sucks now that im older i have more money thus i can afford a 32 inch hd tv

i could 4 scrrens goddamit 4 eight inch screens

i dont im just rambling after drinking a little

[quote name='PINKO']yeah waht the fuck Ninja turtles and double dragon arcade games

fuck what happen to split screen it sucks now that im older i have more money thus i can afford a 32 inch hd tv

i could 4 scrrens goddamit 4 eight inch screens

i dont im just rambling after drinking a little[/QUOTE]

I agree lol

you know what we all should do?

meet up at a bar, get drunk off out asses and RACE!

Virtual drinking and driving, we'll be every tabloid news show's dream.

It's pretty funny that people are already playing the game, and the website still hasn't updated all of the information on modes and stations ..

And by pretty funny, I mean slightly heartbreaking.

(I'm crying inside.)

[quote name='zengonzo']It's pretty funny that people are already playing the game, and the website still hasn't updated all of the information on modes and stations ..

And by pretty funny, I mean slightly heartbreaking.

(I'm crying inside.)[/quote]

The best way to deal with leaks it not to openly acknowledge it, and quietly silence it. I always laugh when people think that games are going to get earlier releases because the game leaked 5 days before release. An early release on a game this big would just confuse consumers, IMO.

Local multiplayer would be pretty tough to code for, since the whole camera system is based on one person. And if you add split screen, that's a whole new set of headaches.

[quote name='help1']The best way to deal with leaks it not to openly acknowledge it, and quietly silence it. I always laugh when people think that games are going to get earlier releases because the game leaked 5 days before release. An early release on a game this big would just confuse consumers, IMO.[/quote]

yeah, but I think R* and other devs can benefit from leaks. Or even provide them, on some occasions. I think leaks, small vids of gameplay or blurry pics of something (i.e. in game media bar for ps3) can really hype something up. And with the popularity of youtube and blog sites like Kotaku, you know a lot of people will see it and be talking about it. Any exposure is good exposure. They know we'll buy this on launch day, but what about the guy who just got a 360 because of Halo or GOW. He see's all this ridiculous hype and his interest went from, "I like GTA before on the PS2", to "Holy sh*t I need this game". I think hype is great, leaks are great too, they generate hype and that is pretty much all a game needs to sell well. Look at Assasin's Creed. I thought it was pretty mediocre, but it sold a lot. Same with the Nintendo franchises. Every wii owner knows when the next Zelda or Mario game is coming out and of course they buy it even if the game is not a great game. Same could be said got GT: Prologue, $40 for a large demo, c'mon, but people buy it. Look at us in here, we're all hying this game, for good reason, but what if the game has a glitch (hypothetical), where when you steal a car, the car blows up and you die every time. 2 Million people on release day would be flooding the forums with this and that, but we all bought it on day one because of hype...

[quote name='MisterHand']Local multiplayer would be pretty tough to code for, since the whole camera system is based on one person. And if you add split screen, that's a whole new set of headaches.[/QUOTE]
I'd agree, but they already did it in San Andreas. Now, it obviously could've been a lot better, but even in the state it was in, we had a blast with it. Really really wish they left it in IV.

I think it was a smart thing for R* to not create any gameplay videos themselves. All this drama about people downloading the PAL copy, posting gameplay videos, and getting taken down by R* a couple hours later, is pretty much feeding the hype even more.

From a game being slapped in a torrent a week early (not new), to people posting cam videos of gameplay (not new), the big gaming blogs and sites are treating these as earth-shattering spectacles.

Something tells me that GoW2 might follow the same path. I wouldn't call them crazy if they did.

[quote name='mrelusive']
Something tells me that GoW2 might follow the same path. I wouldn't call them crazy if they did.[/QUOTE]

Except that gametrailers (I think) has already bragged that they have secured exclusive rights to show GOW2 gameplay footage on May 11.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']yeah, but I think R* and other devs can benefit from leaks. Or even provide them, on some occasions. I think leaks, small vids of gameplay or blurry pics of something (i.e. in game media bar for ps3) can really hype something up. And with the popularity of youtube and blog sites like Kotaku, you know a lot of people will see it and be talking about it. Any exposure is good exposure. They know we'll buy this on launch day, but what about the guy who just got a 360 because of Halo or GOW. He see's all this ridiculous hype and his interest went from, "I like GTA before on the PS2", to "Holy sh*t I need this game". I think hype is great, leaks are great too, they generate hype and that is pretty much all a game needs to sell well. Look at Assasin's Creed. I thought it was pretty mediocre, but it sold a lot. Same with the Nintendo franchises. Every wii owner knows when the next Zelda or Mario game is coming out and of course they buy it even if the game is not a great game. Same could be said got GT: Prologue, $40 for a large demo, c'mon, but people buy it. Look at us in here, we're all hying this game, for good reason, but what if the game has a glitch (hypothetical), where when you steal a car, the car blows up and you die every time. 2 Million people on release day would be flooding the forums with this and that, but we all bought it on day one because of hype...[/quote]

True to some extent. Some people have actually been turned off because of the leaked content they saw.

If Rockstar is leaking out the videos themselves, they are doing a hell of a bad job. You think they want to make it seem like the controls were fluid and lucid, except in all the videos, all I see is bad driving, horrible fighting skills, etc.

Now, since I follow this game, I have heard that the learning curve for the controls is a little high, but your average joe is going to be like "WTF, the driving in this game stinks."

man that justin.tv is still streaming it and theres shit load of people watching it. But I think he is f*cked since someone said he showed his gamertag so he could show the achievements and you can see him in the tv's reflection. IDK, I'm not watching it since I think he is playing the story mode and everything...

[quote name='lordwow']But at the same time, these videos have caused me to pre-order the game.[/quote]

You are on a gaming website. It's GTA IV. You wouldn't miss it for the world.

[quote name='help1']You are on a gaming website. It's GTA IV. You wouldn't miss it for the world.[/QUOTE]

*shrugs* I only pre-ordered it yesterday.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']man that justin.tv is still streaming it and theres shit load of people watching it. But I think he is f*cked since someone said he showed his gamertag so he could show the achievements and you can see him in the tv's reflection. IDK, I'm not watching it since I think he is playing the story mode and everything...[/QUOTE]

He kicked himself out to the dashboard last night when I was watching briefly and I caught his gamertag, but I'm not sure if he's logged onto live or if that's even his primary account, like my gf has an account on my XBox, but doesn't ever log onto live.

I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!

exploding-head.gif

I will call my local eb and update my post, let you guys know if anything has changed :)

edit: same release date for my 2 local ebs anwyay!

[quote name='JnJosh']I will call my local eb and update my post, let you guys know if anything has changed :)[/quote]Please do. I'm going to storm the EB across the street if you post good results. :p

bread's done
Back