Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='yukine']Is Halo 3's multiplayer really worth the cost of admission? I have no desire to play the single player, at least not anytime soon.

I ask because there's a fuckload of games coming out this month and the following month, and I'm already a bit low on cash. I need to choose my games wisely.[/QUOTE]

I would say times 10, Its maybe the best game I have ever played.

[quote name='Logg']I would say times 10, Its maybe the best game I have ever played.[/QUOTE]

QFT, I am having as much fun with this as i did with Halo 2 and more. The customization and the interface for playing multiplayer is top notch imo.

[quote name='yukine']Is Halo 3's multiplayer really worth the cost of admission?.[/QUOTE]

Hell fucking yeah. The only thing its lacking right now IMHO is maps. Hopefully we hear word of when Bungie is going to be releasing the classic halo 1/halo 2 maps or just new maps in general. Everything else is great though.

The only thing that's going to compete with the massive pwnage multiplayer is Call of Duty 3. I hope that turns out well.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Hell fucking yeah. The only thing its lacking right now IMHO is maps. Hopefully we hear word of when Bungie is going to be releasing the classic halo 1/halo 2 maps or just new maps in general. Everything else is great though.

The only thing that's going to compete with the massive pwnage multiplayer is Call of Duty 3. I hope that turns out well.[/quote]

I think you mean CoD4 :razz: And as far as multiplayer, there is pretty much Halo 3, CoD4, and Team Fortress 2(in Orange Box) as competitors for incredible multiplayer.

And I agree with everyone else that Halo 3 is worth the $60, the multiplayer is very addicting, and considering Halo 2 was the #1 game on Live until Gears of War last year, I can see Halo 3 lasting a very long time.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']I think you mean CoD4 :razz: And as far as multiplayer, there is pretty much Halo 3, CoD4, and Team Fortress 2(in Orange Box) as competitors for incredible multiplayer.

And I agree with everyone else that Halo 3 is worth the $60, the multiplayer is very addicting, and considering Halo 2 was the #1 game on Live until Gears of War last year, I can see Halo 3 lasting a very long time.[/QUOTE]

Halo fanbase > COD fanbase.

I enjoyed the COD4 beta a lot, but facts are fact. The 360 outsold the Wii this week for a reason. Halo's a system seller for most, while COD4 is a system seller only for a small portion of people.

Also KingBroly, he's the same guy who played H1 and H2, but didn't think anything special of them, and his opinion is the same for H3? Not surprised.

People told him not to get it judging from your past experience with the Halo games....

[quote name='Malik112099']just finished getting my last skull and terminal.....felt pretty good to get the marathon achievement[/QUOTE]

I just finished getting all the skulls and terminals tonight as well. I was a little worried i didnt get all the terminals when i finished with the last one because it didnt pop up with the achievement notification.

[quote name='soccerstud652']You have to get terminals too? I just got a full instruction on the skulls, so what are the terminals?[/QUOTE]

In the OP. :cool:

On another note: I love score-based campaign! It sorta reminds me of Mercenaries from RE4, where you're trying to figure out a good, fast, safe path that will allow you to kill as many enemies as possible. Challenging and frustrating, yet oddly rewarding at the same time.

[quote name='soccerstud652']You have to get terminals too? I just got a full instruction on the skulls, so what are the terminals?[/QUOTE]

Yes, check the OP, it is very easy to get them all! Just make sure that when you check in, you fully check it out, keep pressing the A button and give it time, sometimes it keeps loading more info and pages for you. Some will say "End Fragment" and you know its complete, and others do not.

One more question. (Man I really got into Halo 3 today...)

What happened to all of the elites from Halo 1+2?

I finished the Halo 2 campaign mode years ago, and I don't remember what exactly happened to the elites at the end. I know there is a reason why there are no elites in H3 (all Brutes now), so what happened? Did Master Chief kill them all? Did that prophet dude want them all dead?

i'm having trouble with the terminals as well, i did it probably 3 times, i'ma try again today and see if i get it, if not then maybe i'm too impatient

do you have to beat the levels or can you just access them and leave?
does it matter what difficulty?

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i'm having trouble with the terminals as well, i did it probably 3 times, i'ma try again today and see if i get it, if not then maybe i'm too impatient

do you have to beat the levels or can you just access them and leave?
does it matter what difficulty?[/QUOTE]

1) You do not need to beat the levels when you access them, i would at least make it to the next check point after accessing it.

2) If you access a terminal, you must THOROUGHLY check it, you must get to the very end of the transmissions/journals on it. Keep hitting A until it will not go on anymore.

3)Make sure you do this for ALL 7.

[quote name='zewone']Not confirmed, it could be well hidden.[/QUOTE]
I was playing with a Bungie guy who had the helmet, I asked him about it.

He made it seem like it is in the game and it hasn't been found and the flaming heads.

[quote name='soccerstud652']One more question. (Man I really got into Halo 3 today...)

I finished the Halo 2 campaign mode years ago, and I don't remember what exactly happened to the elites at the end. I know there is a reason why there are no elites in H3 (all Brutes now), so what happened? Did Master Chief kill them all? Did that prophet dude want them all dead?[/quote] There are elites in Halo 3, they are now at war with the Covenant and allies with the humans.
You fight with several elites while fighting the flood on Earth, and on the ark when you have to open a hole in the big shield. You have to take one of the generatiors, the arbiter and his elites take out another, and Johnson's squad trys to take out one but gets captured. Elites help you disable the final generator.

[quote name='soccerstud652']One more question. (Man I really got into Halo 3 today...)

I finished the Halo 2 campaign mode years ago, and I don't remember what exactly happened to the elites at the end. I know there is a reason why there are no elites in H3 (all Brutes now), so what happened? Did Master Chief kill them all? Did that prophet dude want them all dead?[/QUOTE]

How far have you gotten in the campaign? The Elites joined forces with the humans because of the Prophets/Brutes betrayal of them.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone think that Bungie will release more armors through the marketplace for free? I think it'd be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. :lol:

[quote name='yukine']Is Halo 3's multiplayer really worth the cost of admission? I have no desire to play the single player, at least not anytime soon.

I ask because there's a fuckload of games coming out this month and the following month, and I'm already a bit low on cash. I need to choose my games wisely.[/quote]

I'll give you an honest answer, Im not a Bungie apologist, or a Halo fanboy. Im just a fan of online fps games.

Halo 3 has 11 multiplayer maps. And only some of those can be played with certain game types. So if you love a certain mode, like cap the flag, or whatever, there may be as few as 3 maps to play that mode on. And out of the 11 maps, some of them really suck imho. Although some of them are great as well. After playing everyday since the game came out, I can say that they need more maps asap.

The matchmaking mode (picking online matches) is completely broken. Unless your playing with friends, you can NOT pick the map you want, or the game type. Its random. You may get deathmatch, you may get oddball, or Juggernaught (all against one). You basically have no choice in the matter. Also, you better learn to LOVE hammer or sword only games, as they come up plenty. Same with Shotgun & sniper rifle games.

Imho, its inexcusable for Bungie not to allow you to pick the map or gamemode you want. I can see it being random for ranked matches, but for social play, you need to be able to pick what you want.

This omission makes the map editor mode, called 'Forge' basically useless, cos theres no way to put your custom games out there and get people to play them.

Now the actual multiplayer action is GREAT! Its awesome fun, and even if you dont want to play thru the story, the multiplay is worth the $60. But the longterm value is comprimised by Bungies HORRIBLE design choices in not letting you pick what you want to play.

For me, they turned a game I would have played online for years, into something that Im already getting tired of, due to me not being able to play what I want, when i want.

If you dont mind playing what Bungie wants you to play, you'll have a great time. If you want to play what you want, the game will grow tiresome.

I still think its worth the money, but once COD4 comes out, Halo 3 is going on the shelf to stay unless they release a patch that corrects their horrible, horrible matchmaking.

[quote name='BackInBlack']1) You do not need to beat the levels when you access them, i would at least make it to the next check point after accessing it.

2) If you access a terminal, you must THOROUGHLY check it, you must get to the very end of the transmissions/journals on it. Keep hitting A until it will not go on anymore.

3)Make sure you do this for ALL 7.[/QUOTE]

thanks just finished it, looks like you gotta wait til it turns red then theres more and usually ends with fragment ends

and i also did it on easy since i'm getting sick of the campaign lol

Seems like the level system in MP is kind of off. I was doing great advancing through the first few number levels, but only getting 1 experience point for each match, so I'm a lower rank.

Now I'm at 10, but with a low rank, but I'm getting matched up with guys who are also 10, but high ranked. So I'm getting my ass handed to me every match. This throws off the whole matchmaking based on skill idea, eh?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone think that Bungie will release more armors through the marketplace for purchase with points? I think it'd be awesome.[/QUOTE]

I can't agree that buying stuff withheld from the game would be awesome.

[quote name='Apossum']Seems like the level system in MP is kind of off. I was doing great advancing through the first few number levels, but only getting 1 experience point for each match, so I'm a lower rank.

Now I'm at 10, but with a low rank, but I'm getting matched up with guys who are also 10, but high ranked. So I'm getting my ass handed to me every match. This throws off the whole matchmaking based on skill idea, eh?

[/quote]

That's because the people you are playing are ranked low in the game mode (ex: Team Slayer, Lone Wolves). Their military rank has no impact on who you get matched up with. I've been matched up with captains (2 star I believe) and I'm nowhere near that level.

Also, I found this funny
071001.jpg

[quote name='Danil ACE']That's because the people you are playing are ranked low in the game mode (ex: Team Slayer, Lone Wolves). Their military rank has no impact on who you get matched up with. I've been matched up with captains (2 star I believe) and I'm nowhere near that level.
[/QUOTE]

crazy. that really screws up my whole progression in the game...

[quote name='Apossum']I can't agree that buying stuff withheld from the game would be awesome.[/QUOTE]
You're saying that they purposefully withheld fully developed content from probably the most feature-rich console game ever released?

[quote name='Apossum']crazy. that really screws up my whole progression in the game...[/quote]

Try playing more team games to get a better feel of the multiplayer (plus you have teammates to help you out...most of the time)

[quote name='radjago']You're saying that they purposefully withheld fully developed content from probably the most feature-rich console game ever released?[/QUOTE]

are you insinuating that just because the game is rich in features doesn't mean that they could hold back some armor ideas to sell later on? lets not forget it also the most highly marketed game and selling it to us was just the start. this game will have a crapload of DLC.

withheld or not, selling armor pieces is lame, no matter what the cost. I'll buy maps, I'll buy modes, but I'm one of those weirdos who thinks there should be a line drawn on microtransactions...

[quote name='Puffa469']I'll give you an honest answer, Im not a Bungie apologist, or a Halo fanboy. Im just a fan of online fps games.

Halo 3 has 11 multiplayer maps. And only some of those can be played with certain game types. So if you love a certain mode, like cap the flag, or whatever, there may be as few as 3 maps to play that mode on. And out of the 11 maps, some of them really suck imho. Although some of them are great as well. After playing everyday since the game came out, I can say that they need more maps asap.

The matchmaking mode (picking online matches) is completely broken. Unless your playing with friends, you can NOT pick the map you want, or the game type. Its random. You may get deathmatch, you may get oddball, or Juggernaught (all against one). You basically have no choice in the matter. Also, you better learn to LOVE hammer or sword only games, as they come up plenty. Same with Shotgun & sniper rifle games.

Imho, its inexcusable for Bungie not to allow you to pick the map or gamemode you want. I can see it being random for ranked matches, but for social play, you need to be able to pick what you want.

This omission makes the map editor mode, called 'Forge' basically useless, cos theres no way to put your custom games out there and get people to play them.

Now the actual multiplayer action is GREAT! Its awesome fun, and even if you dont want to play thru the story, the multiplay is worth the $60. But the longterm value is comprimised by Bungies HORRIBLE design choices in not letting you pick what you want to play.

For me, they turned a game I would have played online for years, into something that Im already getting tired of, due to me not being able to play what I want, when i want.

If you dont mind playing what Bungie wants you to play, you'll have a great time. If you want to play what you want, the game will grow tiresome.

I still think its worth the money, but once COD4 comes out, Halo 3 is going on the shelf to stay unless they release a patch that corrects their horrible, horrible matchmaking.[/QUOTE]
Every map in Halo 3 multiplayer can be played in every game type there is available. Matchmaking has a set playlist of game types and map to play on, but outside of that, you can play anything you want on any map in custom games. Bungie decided to design their matchmaking system to make it as easy as possible to play online with the friends in your party. The party system is the best innovation in multiplayer gaming in years and no one has successfully duplicated it since. If they chose a traditional server browser system, you would have to find an open server with the exact maps and gametypes you want to play and hope that there is enough open slots before you and your friends could join, which can be overwhelming at times, especially for newer players. The ranking system helps match players of even skill for the closest possible games.

Granted their system is not perfect. Unpopular game types (like my personal favorite, objective-based big team battle) tend to suffer the most. As the player pool dwindles, the matches tend to become more uneven and that leads to players quitting when they feel they have been outmatched which puts the remaining members of the team at a tremendous disadvantage.

The best way to experience multiplayer is with friends, so develop a friends list of players you liked playing with and people you know or communities like CAG. If you even have a few friends with the game, they will have a few friends as well and custom games will easily be filled in a short time if you have everyone send game invites out.

And you must have missed the whole sharing system that is built into Halo 3 and Bungie.net. Not only can you share custom Forge created game types with friends and strangers alike, but Bungie is actively tracking which custom games become the most popular and looking to integrate those into their matchmaking playlists. The zombies custom game from Halo 2 became so popular that they added it to Halo 3 as Infection. The same thing for the SWAT playlist in Halo 2. Bungie responds to their community of players. Halo 2 wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as it did if they didn't.

Also, from my experience with the beta, CoD4 will use a matchmaking system very similar to that of Halo 3, playlists, parties and all.

[quote name='radjago']You're saying that they purposefully withheld fully developed content from probably the most feature-rich console game ever released?[/quote]

Exactly.

Bungie decided to design their matchmaking system to make it as easy as possible to play online with the friends in your party. The party system is the best innovation in multiplayer gaming in years and no one has successfully duplicated it since. If they chose a traditional server browser system, you would have to find an open server with the exact maps and gametypes you want to play and hope that there is enough open slots before you and your friends could join,

That was a horrible choice that nearly noone approves of. A poll on Bungie.net shows that 96% of the hundreds of people who answered want the ability to choose map and game type for social play.

Sure you can do anything you want in 'custom' games, if you want to devote your entire friends list to ONE game.

The way Bungie did it is broken, almost noone likes it, and they need to fix it asap. Why not have both? The current shit system for 'ranked' and normal server browser system for social? A server browser system that has worked well for nearly every pc fps thats come out in the last 10 years.

Im getting real tired of Bungie fanboys who suckle at Halos teat and defend every bad decision they have made with this game. Halo 3 is a great game with some huge glaring design errors that bring it down a notch.

Anyone who is still considering this game needs to understand that you simply cannot play what you want, when you want, unless you happen to have a pack of exactly like minded friends, who all want to play when you do.

[quote name='Puffa469']Exactly.

That was a horrible choice that nearly noone approves of. A poll on Bungie.net shows that 96% of the hundreds of people who answered want the ability to choose map and game type for social play.

Sure you can do anything you want in 'custom' games, if you want to devote your entire friends list to ONE game.

The way Bungie did it is broken, almost noone likes it, and they need to fix it asap. Why not have both? The current shit system for 'ranked' and normal server browser system for social? A server browser system that has worked well for nearly every pc fps thats come out in the last 10 years.

Im getting real tired of Bungie fanboys who suckle at Halos teat and defend every bad decision they have made with this game. Halo 3 is a great game with some huge glaring design errors that bring it down a notch.

Anyone who is still considering this game needs to understand that you simply cannot play what you want, when you want, unless you happen to have a pack of exactly like minded friends, who all want to play when you do.[/QUOTE]

Almost no one likes it? I like it. Pretty sure everyone on my friends list likes it too.

Sure, I wish I could specifically search for game types, but I can't. I'm SOL. Again, its obvious you never played Halo 2 over Live otherwise you wouldn't have bought Halo 3.

The main problem I have with the ranking system should be like you earn more EXP for winning. If you win a match in ranked, you should get like 3 points, instead of 1 so you go up faster. If you disconnect, you lose 3 points.

Playing Social matches, most of the time its' Last Resort, Valhalla and Sandtrap. Occassionally the Pit comes up, but not much. I don't even see Epitat and the other small one in social matches. Ever. Not once. A LOT of maps are getting neglected very, very quickly. I would honestly go out on a limb and say Gears' online is better just because you can pick which maps you want to play on.

I mean, a patch HAS TO COME and fix this. Sure, it's a design choice, but it's a BAD CHOICE. And bad choices lead to BAD GAMES. I'm getting bored with it. The only reason I'll play on Friday nights is so I can play in Infection, Hammer Hall, Speedtrap (max speed, low gravity in Sandtrap), and others. But I don't think that'll last long.

[quote name='Puffa469']Exactly.

Anyone who is still considering this game needs to understand that you simply cannot play what you want, when you want, unless you happen to have a pack of exactly like minded friends, who all want to play when you do.[/QUOTE]
I couldn't disagree more the match making in halo 2 and now halo 3 is what makes the game worthwhile to me. Playing the same old thing your into is good and all but I can only deal with so many games of team slayer on the same map in a night before it gets stale. I wish more online games would adapt this random matchmaking feature it takes the tedious task of picking full server after full server in a browser system and simplifies it.

Question, if you play the meta game with team scoring on with a friend, and you cooperatively get 15,000 pts, do you both get an achievement?

I'm just wondering because I'm starting to get the achievement points for the meta game, but I'm kind of getting bored because this is my 2nd, 3rd or even 4th time through the Campaign for certain levels. Playing through a game 2 or 3x in a week is a bit much.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']how the hell do you get EXP anyway. I play a ton of matches and get 0 all the time (and yes, I'm not that great) even when I get 2nd place.[/QUOTE]
Team games, you're team has to win. Solo matches, 1st-3rd gets EXP in 5 player matches. 1st and 2nd for 4 player matches.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Question, if you play the meta game with team scoring on with a friend, and you cooperatively get 15,000 pts, do you both get an achievement?

I'm just wondering because I'm starting to get the achievement points for the meta game, but I'm kind of getting bored because this is my 2nd, 3rd or even 4th time through the Campaign for certain levels. Playing through a game 2 or 3x in a week is a bit much.[/QUOTE]

The points are based off of your individual score. You can do it with a partner, but it makes it harder to rack up points.

Easiest way to get the meta games done is on solo normal with 2-3 skulls activated.

so the 48 hour trial matches don't work on ranked games :bomb:

with that said, holy shit i just had a blast in social slayer talking shit to people. not giving a fuck about anything. People told me to smoke poles as i warned them i would ejaculate on their corpse. it was a freaking blast. lol. i think i corpse humped a good 30 people.

[quote name='AshesofWake']
with that said, holy shit i just had a blast in social slayer talking shit to people. not giving a fuck about anything. People told me to smoke poles as i warned them i would ejaculate on their corpse. it was a freaking blast. lol. i think i corpse humped a good 30 people.[/quote]

And this is why I hate Live.

[quote name='zewone']Yeah, a bad design choice, that's why Halo 2 was still popular up until Halo 3's release. :roll:

Do some homework.[/quote]

So I guess all things that are popular are the greatest and have no flaws and could not possibly be made better? :roll:

I understand that both Halo 2 and 3 were/are very popular. That doesnt mean they couldnt be made better. All I want is the choice.

Imagine if when you used Google, instead of spitting out a list of results, you could only use the 'I'm feeling lucky' feature.

If Halo 3's multiplayer sucked, I would shut up and just not play it. But like Ive said, the game is great fun when I happen to get a mode I like. It just frustrates me that the matchmaking is soo fucking archaic and broken.

[quote name='zewone']Team games, you're team has to win. Solo matches, 1st-3rd gets EXP in 5 player matches. 1st and 2nd for 4 player matches.

The points are based off of your individual score. You can do it with a partner, but it makes it harder to rack up points.

Easiest way to get the meta games done is on solo normal with 2-3 skulls activated.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, normal with 3 skulls on. There's only so much campaign I can play in a one week span.

[quote name='Puffa469']So I guess all things that are popular are the greatest and have no flaws and could not possibly be made better? :roll:

I understand that both Halo 2 and 3 were/are very popular. That doesnt mean they couldnt be made better. All I want is the choice.

Imagine if when you used Google, instead of spitting out a list of results, you could only use the 'I'm feeling lucky' feature.

If Halo 3's multiplayer sucked, I would shut up and just not play it. But like Ive said, the game is great fun when I happen to get a mode I like. It just frustrates me that the matchmaking is soo fucking archaic and broken.[/QUOTE]
Archaic?

It's revolutionary and has garnered praise for such. Server lists are archaic and boring, with Halo's matchmaking you are put in to a random map/gametype with random opponents very quickly keeping things fresh, instead of something like Gears where people play the same maps and you have to wait upwards of 20 minutes just to fill up one room.

I understand why Bungie would do it, when I play Rainbow Six I can't even find a match of "Survival" or some of the other game types I would find fun, but alas they go unplayed.

To the people bitching about matchmaking; where have you been for the past 3 years? Halo 2 has been the same way since launch. They do this for a few reasons. First, to easily get you and a party of friends into a game. Second, to keep levels and rank the most balanced as possible. Third, so that people can't make their own gametypes/maps and get too good at them and manipulate their rank. As far as custom games matchmaking, yeah I think it'd be cool, but I'm plenty happy with what I've got. If you want slayer, play slayer. If you want flag, assault, territories, and the occasional oddball, play skirmish. If none of that pleases you, play custom games. CAG has about a million people who are playing this game right now. Send some friend requests and get a game going.

Bitching ain't gonna get anybody anywhere. This is how it has always been, and likely how it will continue to be.

Oh, and thanks for the replies. I've decided to get rid of it, I'll pick it up again once I complete the first and second games first. This is why I have no desire to play the single player of the third game as I haven't played any of the previous games.

And excuse me for stirring the pot, but despite how much you might like a game, a simple criticism isn't going to kill you, rape your mother, etc. etc. If you like the game, someone's minor complaints shouldn't get your panties in a twist.

I'll see you CAGs on Halo eventually.

[quote name='zewone']Archaic?

It's revolutionary and has garnered praise for such. Server lists are archaic and boring, with Halo's matchmaking you are put in to a random map/gametype with random opponents very quickly keeping things fresh, instead of something like Gears where people play the same maps and you have to wait upwards of 20 minutes just to fill up one room.[/quote]Server lists are not the way to go, I agree, but a few more playlists would be nice. Some dedicated to just King of the Hill, or just CTF, or just Oddball, or Slayer without the risk of that moronic Sniper-Only mode would be great.

Obviously, any time you add things you're going to thin out the pool of players, but I don't think the addition of a few, more specific, less random playlists would hurt things. Having the maps on constant rotation is something I really enjoy, though.

Oh dear GOD. I just heard the Arbiter say 'Welcome to the social'.

Welcome. To. The Social.

I actually said 'I'm not buying a fucking Zune. Deal with it.'

OMG last night I went and got the last skull w/o having got the ones before it (I had the first three only) anyway after all my hard work I got NO achievements for it. I held it in my hand and nothing happened. I was so mad.

So I ask do I have to get these in order?

bread's done
Back