LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
endor on clearance for $75 .. $50 .. $25? i need to move.

dejeckt, thanks for the great deal on the castle .. i promised last night i wouldn't buy more lego until the january sales .. but this is too sweet ..

if you head to your local target to get this deal and you are doing additional holiday shopping, the current target holiday catalog (green with white tree and "give jolly") has a peel-off coupon on the back for "Free $15 target gift card with purchase of $150 or more".

there is also a "$10 off LEGO toy" inside but it only applies to the "City Fire Station or Star Wars Slave I".

i tried to resist the castle deal but with free shipping, the extra 10% off .. and then i remembered all my little $5 gift cards (with the free bullseye lego set) that i had bought. brought my out-of-pocket down to 36 dollars.

Dammit, the LEGO city Police Headquarters isn't on sale anymore at Amazon. Stupid TRU tricking me to thinking that I could get a better deal if I buy both the sets at TRU. Possibly, going to visit a B&N later.

[quote name='aunt beast']six .. free legos, man! ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes and because of people like you people like me cannot even buy one.

amazon prices tend to fluctuate wildly throughout the day, so you might check it again later. i check my cart three times a day and see prices zooming up and down.

good luck at B&N ..

[quote name='bigdaddy']Yes and because of people like you people like me cannot even buy one.[/QUOTE]

aw, sorry, bigdaddy. when i went to target looking for them, the display was empty. i went up and asked an employee and they said "oh sure" and opened an enormous box full of them.

i bought three and then on a later visit bought three more. such good kid gifts! plus the dog looks just like my dog except missing spots .. which i have modded in. :)

This may be YMMV but I used the B&N 30% off coupon and they were also doing 20% off Harry Potter stuff. Grabbed the Hogwarts Express (only one I saw out at the Frederick MD store, they have it for $80 normally) and the deals stacked for a final price of 44.77 before tax.

This holiday season is taking a big chunk out of my wallet. What do you guys think of me buying King's Castle set just to resell after Christmas? Is it worth it or better not getting involved in reselling business. I couldn't believe how much those Batmobiles go for now.

nice, backlyte. and my BN carries their lego at msrp, too. i'm out of money though.

dejeckt, i've never sold anything, but a few years ago when the holiday train went to clearance i bought one and my husband bought one as a gift for me .. neither knowing what the other was doing. so o'henry. ;) so i have that socked away and i occasionally check to see what it's going for on ebay. but i'm too chicken to try selling it - afraid of getting ripped off. :)

@aunt beat - yea seems a lot more trouble then its worth, I don't think I would have the energy to keep up with the prices.

Also, the Lego Toy Story Western Train set is on sale for $60.00 on Amazon. Good deal I think, but gonna pass on that one.
link to Amazon Lego Toy Story Western Train set
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Story-We...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1290977126&sr=1-1

The King's Castle on Target.com is now OOS, but I think you can still buy it from local b&m stores.

For that price, I'm really tempted on buying that train again. I think I paid that same price at TRU when they first came out.

I was at Target earlier this morning and they still had 1-2 King's Castle there. I also noticed a ton of Trolls Mountain Fortress and Space Police. I wonder if the Space Police will clearance fast since they clearanced out of there not to long ago.

The HP sets are really a great deal at BN, especially if you have a membership. As a member the work out to 48% off, plus you can buy a $100 gift card and get a $10 card that activates the day after Christmas. Picked up another train and the Burrows for a total of $71. Selection looks like it is getting pretty slim, as I went to 2 stores and there were a total of 2 trains, and 2 Burrows between the 2 stores, with none of the smaller sets available at all.
It is crazy to me that as long as BN has sets you are looking for they are just about the best retailer for LEGOs, or at least have been for the last month.

[quote name='ackbar7']The HP sets are really a great deal at BN, especially if you have a membership. As a member the work out to 48% off, plus you can buy a $100 gift card and get a $10 card that activates the day after Christmas. Picked up another train and the Burrows for a total of $71. Selection looks like it is getting pretty slim, as I went to 2 stores and there were a total of 2 trains, and 2 Burrows between the 2 stores, with none of the smaller sets available at all.
It is crazy to me that as long as BN has sets you are looking for they are just about the best retailer for LEGOs, or at least have been for the last month.[/QUOTE]

Do you have to pay for that membership? Also, have you ever seen any Lego City collections there? I would go...but its a long way from my house.

[quote name='dejeckt']Do you have to pay for that membership? Also, have you ever seen any Lego City collections there? I would go...but its a long way from my house.[/QUOTE]

BN membership does cost, but the sale + coupon stack mentioned up above doesn't require membership. and coupons come out on a regular basis that don't require membership.

and membership in the kids' club is free (with a 30%-off coupon there that seems to work an infinite # of times for a few months).

recently they had a deal that knocked the $20 membership fee in half .. but you'd have to do the math to figure out if the add'l $ saved would be worth your outlay over a year's worth of purchases.

my BN has no city sets .. only HP, some SW, and the architecture series. but that's a big YMMV. and online they seem to fluctuate between having a very crappy selection and quite a decent selection.

[quote name='dejeckt']

The King's Castle on Target.com is now OOS, but I think you can still buy it from local b&m stores.[/QUOTE]
Looks like Amazon is matching almost everything LEGO that other retailers are putting on sale. I couldn't resist buying the Kingdoms Castle. I was planning to go to Target, but Amazon has matched the price and with free 2-day shipping and no tax you can't go wrong.

Anyone saw the new SW Clocks at Walmart? I've seen the Vader at Kmart, but the my son would love the Yoda one! Still looking for the Stormtrooper one too!

[quote name='dejeckt']This holiday season is taking a big chunk out of my wallet. What do you guys think of me buying King's Castle set just to resell after Christmas? Is it worth it or better not getting involved in reselling business. I couldn't believe how much those Batmobiles go for now.[/QUOTE]

Well, a few things to consider if you're going to buy one to resell. 1. Legos are expensive to ship ... not a quick easy profit like shipping a game or something, because you have to buy a box that's bigger than the lego box, and it will almost always be $20+ for a large set like the castle unless you get lucky and find a local buyer or sell to someone who lives in the same state or nearby.

2. If the set is still easily available to find in stores then someone will always be selling it for less than MSRP on most online sites. The castle may be valuable in the future, but probably not anytime soon.

The place where money is made when you buy Lego sets to sell later is in the more expensive sets that have just gone off the market or have been off awhile. Unique sets also tend to sell better ... a great example is Cafe Corner ... the set sells for $500 plus these days.

A castle is a bit more generic, so it wouldn't be my first choice if you're looking for a set to appreciate in value. If you have a LEGO store nearby, check for Green Grocers ... that set is guaranteed to make you some money if that's what you're looking to do.

But I'm not a major reseller, I occasionally buy sets to resell and fund my other LEGO purchases but not regularly. Just my two cents on how to get the most mileage for your money.

[quote name='dejeckt']This holiday season is taking a big chunk out of my wallet. What do you guys think of me buying King's Castle set just to resell after Christmas? Is it worth it or better not getting involved in reselling business. I couldn't believe how much those Batmobiles go for now.[/QUOTE]

I could have gotten two big batmobiles for $35 each but passed.

[quote name='dejeckt']Do you have to pay for that membership? Also, have you ever seen any Lego City collections there? I would go...but its a long way from my house.[/QUOTE]
Stuff for city is pretty limited, but I have seen the $40 airplane, the 10.99 airplane, a couple of different fire trucks, creator houses, and the $80 fire station. Most of those were at 1 store, with the other stores having only the smaller firefighter sets.

[quote name='etcrane']I occasionally buy sets to resell and fund my other LEGO purchases but not regularly. Just my two cents on how to get the most mileage for your money.[/QUOTE]

so what would you guess might appreciate the most that is available right now? i'm just curious - not planning on going into the reselling business myself. ;)

medieval market village seems like a good bet at a reasonable outlay.

[quote name='JAYMATIK']Anyone saw the new SW Clocks at Walmart? I've seen the Vader at Kmart, but the my son would love the Yoda one! Still looking for the Stormtrooper one too![/QUOTE]

kmart had them on sale earlier in the month. also starwars.com when they had their 25%-off sale, but they had already sold out of the stormtrooper. :( i haven't even seen the yoda one.

i believe they were available at thinkgeek too.

wasn't the amazon lightning box deal the other night one of these clocks bundled with a watch?

the lego clock i like is the square one with lego studs on top that comes with a stormie and a wookie minifig -

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geek-kids/3-7-years/d829/

haven't seen that for sale in a B&M store yet. :)

has anyone seen the kingdom advent calendar somewhere where i might snag it for a good deal? now that i bought the castle, i want it...

You are too late. The only place the Kingdos Advent is sold at is LEGO Stores and S@H, and they are most likely sold out at both.

[quote name='bigdaddy']You are too late. The only place the Kingdos Advent is sold at is LEGO Stores and S@H, and they are most likely sold out at both.[/QUOTE]

This, but I think last years advent Calendar went on sale/clearance but I think at other stores other than the Lego Store. So you still might be sol on that one.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I have a group interview (which should be interesting) at TRU later this week. Should I get stoned before going? :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Do the interview like in Step Brothers!

I have never seen Step Brothers. :lol:

The Kingdoms Advent calendar only was sold by LEGO, it never made it out to other stores. I didn't buy it, but Im happy it made it to this country for once.

Yeah, I tried to get that one and assumed TRU carried it during there b1g1 half off but found out nobody other that LEGO stores carry them.

[quote name='aunt beast']has anyone seen the kingdom advent calendar somewhere where i might snag it for a good deal? now that i bought the castle, i want it...[/QUOTE]

I think I saw one at Borders the other day, couldn't say for sure. I Know I saw those brickmaster books for sure though. The Borders near E. Bidwell in Folsom (Sacramento area). I'm not sure if its a deal or not cause the coupon expired.

[quote name='bigdaddy']You are too late. The only place the Kingdos Advent is sold at is LEGO Stores and S@H, and they are most likely sold out at both.[/QUOTE]

dang. i was sure i saw it somewhere .. one of the bookstores, i assumed.

ah well, i snoozed, i losed.

[quote name='prim4444']TRU carries this clock. I saw it at my store yesterday.[/QUOTE]

thanks, prim!

maybe bigd will buy me one with his employee discount...

[quote name='etcrane']Well, a few things to consider if you're going to buy one to resell. 1. Legos are expensive to ship ... not a quick easy profit like shipping a game or something, because you have to buy a box that's bigger than the lego box.
[/QUOTE]
That's why you have the buyer pay for shipping. Other than Amazon (which doesn't give you the full value of shipping cost), you charge the buyer for the shipping cost. I've sold and shipped large sets plenty of times. I usually find large boxes at work or I check the cardboard bin at most retailers. That goes the same for packing material. I would suggest charging a slightly higher fee than actual cost to help cover for materials (packing tape, box, etc.)

If you sell on Bricklink, you can add a surcharge to cover for materials. Works fine for me.

[quote name='aunt beast']so what would you guess might appreciate the most that is available right now? i'm just curious - not planning on going into the reselling business myself. ;)

medieval market village seems like a good bet at a reasonable outlay.[/QUOTE]
I agree with Crane that big sets like Cafe Corner and Green Grocer are good examples for investing in sets if you want to resell. As far as current sets go I'd pass on Medieval Market and buy either Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Death Star, Imperial Flagship and even Family Home. Although Family Home is still available at LEGO stores and TRU, it's already sold out on S@H. Example: 4954 - Town House was released in 2007 for MSRP $69.99. The average price it has been selling for is about $240. Not too bad if you ask me...

[quote name='dejeckt']I think I saw one at Borders the other day, couldn't say for sure. I Know I saw those brickmaster books for sure though. The Borders near E. Bidwell in Folsom (Sacramento area). I'm not sure if its a deal or not cause the coupon expired.[/QUOTE]

ah ha .. well, maybe i'll make a few phone calls just to double-check then. :)

and those borders coupons just keep coming .. i'm sure there'll be another one coming along.

thanks!

[quote name='aunt beast']thanks, prim!

maybe bigd will buy me one with his employee discount...[/QUOTE]

I haven't gotten the job. I also have the flu, so the whole thing should be interesting as I sneeze and can't breathe during the "interview".

To me it sounds like TRU gets to use me for an hour of free labour.

I lvoe Eurobricks...

Randomly out of the blue....

Hi, how are you today? Over the last year, I have noticed many negative comments from you. Eurobricks is normally a friendly place, but it seems many of your posts have a very negative tone. How old are you if I may inquire? I know people are entitled to their opinion, but it seems as if the majority of your responses are just not friendly.

Would you care to comment?

You aren't friendly enough to the idiots on the site! Without warning we will stick you in THE CHAMBER!!!

My reply...

Wow... this is sad. That's my comment. I'd like you to post what comment that put me in here? Heaven forbid I have my own opinion, because of right now that seems like the only reason while I'm in this childish "The Chamber" without warning, more so by a mod who I have never heard of.

Speaking of Selling LEGO sets, I picked up the Agents Jetpack Pursuit at Fred Meyer earlier this year on clearance for about 4 or 5 dollars (if I really wanted to know I could probably search through this thread, but I don't feel like it) and was recently able to sell one for $50. I was not really expecting that set to go up so much in value and I don't have any other Agents sets, once I found out it had any value at all I figured I was better off without it. That essentially paid for one of my HP train sets, which is a trade I would make any day.

[quote name='aunt beast']so what would you guess might appreciate the most that is available right now? i'm just curious - not planning on going into the reselling business myself. ;)

medieval market village seems like a good bet at a reasonable outlay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think Jay is right on the money with his response. Ironically, I actually picked up Market Village as a LEGO "investment" last year, thinking it would appreciate and I swear LEGO doubled the number of places that carried it and it has remained at $100 or less online. I have no doubt that Market Village will someday be sought after because of the uniqueness of the set but I don't think it will be really really valuable just because it has had a substantial run. Here are some of the criteria I would use when looking at sets that are good investments -

1. Does it appear as "Hard to Find" on the LEGO website - normally these are either LEGO store exclusives or retailer specific exclusives, so there's a better bet it will be harder to find after it stops being produced.

2. Is there a nostalgia factor or wow factor - LEGO fans love certain types of sets and themes, the key is to figure out which sets will be nostalgic (batman) but not overproduced and oversold. If it's also just crazy big or expensive, it will probably be worth more too (Death Star) just because kids will grow up seeing it but not owning it ... and guess who wants to buy it when they finally get disposable income in 20 years.

3. Does it appeal to adults - Modular buildings are hot, they sport great design and are highly collectible because they can be purchased as a series that grows over time and allows you to build a city block. Even crummy ones like the fake-modular set that came out around the same time as Cafe Corner but wasn't official has risen in value substantially. The creator houses are great too, and less expensive ... however, those will never be worth as much as the more expensive sets simply because of the initial cost.

4. Lastly ... rare minifigures. This rule applies more to the pre-magnet era of LEGO, but if it has some crazy mini figure you can't get anywhere else, chances are it will be worth alot (every Batman set ... Jabba's Sail Barge as 2 examples)

If I had to throw out a set that will be worth a lot of money in the future (besides Green Grocer), I'm going to skip Fire Brigade (which isn't bad but just isn't WoW) and say you should pick up Grand Emporium. That set will be worth tons once it goes out of production ... mark my words, it's probably the most detailed modular out and it's already hard to find now, while in production.

My one bit of advice for Lego investors would be to buy sets you would want. That way if the market collapses from the weight of so many people buying Lego just to resell, then you'd still have Lego you want.

I usually just pick up any Lego set that's 50% off or more to resell. The fantasy castle series was a good example, since I picked up a few when Walmart was clearancing them out. I had a sealed Dwarve's Mine I bought for $20 at Walmart and recently sold it for $150. I also had some extra King's Castle Sieges but only sold them for around $70 or so. They're worth about $200 now.

Like others have said though, the big sets are where the money is at. The UCS Millenium Falcon is now selling for about a grand when they retailed for $400-$500.

[quote name='salty tbone']My one bit of advice for Lego investors would be to buy sets you would want. That way if the market collapses from the weight of so many people buying Lego just to resell, then you'd still have Lego you want.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had more money to buy LEGOs, and after the last month of sales I wish I just bought tons of stuff just to resell it later. I could have bought two of the fantasy Castles and then make my money back double some.

It's a fine way to make money, I don't like screwing over the children, but if there is a set on sale and 20 copies, buying two won't matter, and then you will be reselling it to an adult.

Buying 12 boxes of minifigures just to sell them online for $20 a piece pisses me off.

I have three LEGO McDonalds', set 3438. I bought two to make the set bigger and the third just for the hell of it. The set was $10 and on ebay they now go for $50+ new and Amazon they are trying to get $150 new. I also bought an insane amount of straight and curved 9v track because it was $4.50 a pack. I wish I bought another cross track and some more straight track, because I know LEGO fans will really want that.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I have three LEGO McDonalds', set 3438. I bought two to make the set bigger and the third just for the hell of it. The set was $10 and on ebay they now go for $50+ new and Amazon they are trying to get $150 new. I also bought an insane amount of straight and curved 9v track because it was $4.50 a pack. I wish I bought another cross track and some more straight track, because I know LEGO fans will really want that.[/QUOTE]

Not only are Amazon sellers crazy, but the buyers are too. For some reason they actually pay those crazy prices. I list my stuff there at prices higher than ebay's highest prices, but lower than the current Amazon prices, and my stuff usually sells. So you could list that set for $100 on amazon and somebody would probably buy it.

thanks trane and jay .. i like the idea of helping to fund our lego purchases by buying an extra clearance set now and then. i just need to get over my fear of dealing with ebayers. :)

[quote name='aunt beast']thanks trane and jay .. i like the idea of helping to fund our lego purchases by buying an extra clearance set now and then. i just need to get over my fear of dealing with ebayers. :)[/QUOTE]

I have done this a couple of times when I have had some extra money, but the extra goes into our stock pile for other MOC creations.

[quote name='cusm']I have done this a couple of times when I have had some extra money, but the extra goes into our stock pile for other MOC creations.[/QUOTE]

I think I need to do that.

I have a ton of old red windows and doors, I just bought the beach house and that's the first set I have with the new windows. I love them! They are awesome and I wish I had the money to buy the Cafe Corner style sets because they are loaded with awesome parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back