NFL 2007 Season Thread

[quote name='gokou36'] Also, Romo snapped the ball before the refs called it off and yet the play was still being reviewed.
[/QUOTE]

This was absolute BS. They basically went against the NFL rules. I'm glad they ended up making the right call and Dallas still won but doing what the refs did is pretty stupid.

the 2pt conversion was a good no call.. and the refs were in the process of calling a review before the play went off...

[quote name='DJSteel']the 2pt conversion was a good no call.. and the refs were in the process of calling a review before the play went off...[/quote] Yea, TO just had little to no chance of getting that ball since the DB's arms were already under his. That makes it a whole lot easier to rip the ball out. I believe contact was made as TO touched the ball, so it was great timing IMO. I wanted it to be PI, but I guess the outcome of the game might have been different.

Who saw this coming? I did!

I didn't notice pass interference, but shouldn't that final 2-point play have been face-guarding? He wasn't even looking back to play the ball.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I didn't notice pass interference, but shouldn't that final 2-point play have been face-guarding? He wasn't even looking back to play the ball.[/quote]

He got his hands up in the air, ripped the ball out and made the play. The DBs are usually screwed enough on the fade as it is.

There was absolutely no PI on the play. If you need to find somebody to blame on that one, blame Romo for underthrowing it.

[quote name='primetime']He got his hands up in the air, ripped the ball out and made the play. The DBs are usually screwed enough on the fade as it is.

There was absolutely no PI on the play. If you need to find somebody to blame on that one, blame Romo for underthrowing it.[/QUOTE]

I actually blame TO for not catching the ball with his hands instead he tried to catch it with his chest right were the DB's hands/arms were.

Also to DJsteel. If the clock would have run out do you think the refs still would have looked at the play to see if TO caught the ball or not? Nope they would have called it a game and said O wells dawg.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I actually blame TO for not catching the ball with his hands instead he tried to catch it with his chest right were the DB's hands/arms were.

Also to DJsteel. If the clock would have run out do you think the refs still would have looked at the play to see if TO caught the ball or not? Nope they would have called it a game and said O wells dawg.[/quote]

do you know that for a fact?? That is when you should be pissed.... this is actually the second time this has happened...it all is due to the fact that the relay system from the booth to the refs is slower than a whole team moving up and spiking the ball.. the refs did their jobs..

[quote name='pimpinc333']I actually blame TO for not catching the ball with his hands instead he tried to catch it with his chest right were the DB's hands/arms were.

Also to DJsteel. If the clock would have run out do you think the refs still would have looked at the play to see if TO caught the ball or not? Nope they would have called it a game and said O wells dawg.[/quote]

Watch it again. TO was deeper than the DB, which the WR should be on a fade route.

If Romo had put more mustard on the ball (i.e. make it higher), TO could have raised his hands and caught the ball over his head. Instead, Romo underthrew it and forced TO to reach his hands over the defenders body to try and catch the ball. That's why it got ripped out.

[quote name='primetime']He got his hands up in the air, ripped the ball out and made the play. The DBs are usually screwed enough on the fade as it is.[/quote]Agreed. The refs just need to be more consistent with that call. A similar play took place a few weeks ago with Reggie Wayne in the corner and they called that one face-guarding.

Monday's game was the best so far, and I'm really looking forward to next week. Dallas vs Patriots, should be a good one. Even though I'm a Philly fan...go Cowboys. I hate them Patriots!

[quote name='pimpinc333']I honestly think the Dallas Defense is top dog in the NFL as of now. In the past 3 weeks they only let up 10 pts ( 7 to Chicago, 0 to the Rams, 3 to the Bills ). I hope he can hold the Pats amazing Offense in Check. The Pats haven't played anyone with a great defense as of yet so I hope we can get pressure on Brady and Hold Moss to a TD or so.[/quote]Well they played against 3 very shitty teams.

[quote name='gokou36']Also, Romo snapped the ball before the refs called it off and yet the play was still being reviewed.[/quote]The announcers said something about that not mattering because they were buzzed by the dudes upstairs before the play.

[quote name='DT778']Well they played against 3 very shitty teams.

The announcers said something about that not mattering because they were buzzed by the dudes upstairs before the play.[/QUOTE]

Same with the Pats. SD was there only challenge but they blow this year.

[quote name='primetime']I agree with you about Tony, but the timeout mess this year is ridiculous. Yes, it's gamesmanship and an effective strategy, but it's becoming a debacle.

99.9% that rule is changed over the off-season.[/QUOTE]

How would they change that rule though? NO Time Outs during Field Goals?

Let's say a team only has 10 playeers on the field and they call Time Out right before the ball is snapped....would that be Illegal?

It's basically just a way to throw off another team....a shady strategy, but the rule should not be changed.

[quote name='doubledown']How would they change that rule though? NO Time Outs during Field Goals?

Let's say a team only has 10 playeers on the field and they call Time Out right before the ball is snapped....would that be Illegal?

It's basically just a way to throw off another team....a shady strategy, but the rule should not be changed.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I agree. I see no way they can change that rule unless they say you can only call a timeout before a certain time on the play clock on FGs. But I don't think we will see them doing that either.

And Dallas has played 3 of the worst offenses in the NFL. St Louis is 27, Chicago and Buffalo are 30 and 31. So calling them top dog in the NFL defensively is crazy. They are ranked 8th right now in defense so let's see when they play some good teams they can hold that spot. I mean even the Giants who have a decent offense put up a ton of yards and points on them.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Monday's game was the best so far, and I'm really looking forward to next week. Dallas vs Patriots, should be a good one. Even though I'm a Philly fan...go Cowboys. I hate them Patriots![/QUOTE]

the patriots are going to hurt dallas

[quote name='doubledown']a shady strategy, but the rule should not be changed.[/quote]
Well should the teams have to kick every last minute field goal twice? It's definitely going to be changed, maybe not the rule but the way the refs are alerted. They might go back to the buzzer system. That way when one ref is told timeout he can use the buzzer to alert all the refs on the field.

I mean, we've seen it 4 times already this season:

Broncos vs Raiders
Raiders vs Browns
Philadelphia vs Redskins (didn't work, skins then went for it on the 4th and got a td)
Cowboys vs Buffalo

There will be changes in the game to prevent this from happening.

[quote name='doubledown']How would they change that rule though? NO Time Outs during Field Goals?

It's basically just a way to throw off another team....a shady strategy, but the rule should not be changed.[/quote]

I heard a suitable solution on TV the other day.

Only allow timeouts from on the field during a FG. The problem has come b/c coaches have been allowed to call timeouts while standing next to a ref. On the other hand, if only players on the field were allowed to call timeouts during a FG, at least the viewer could see the TO called and the ref could whistle the play dead before it's kicked.

May not be perfect, but it seems like that would be a much better solution than what we have going on now.

With Trent Green getting his head examined in Kansas City, the Phins have activated Cleo Lemon as current starting QB and moved John Beck up a spot. Now get this, during practice this week, Marty Booker was getting snaps as the "emergency" 3rd QB. Has this happened recently, if at all, in the NFL? A WR becoming the emergency QB?

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']With Trent Green getting his head examined in Kansas City, the Phins have activated Cleo Lemon as current starting QB and moved John Beck up a spot. Now get this, during practice this week, Marty Booker was getting snaps as the "emergency" 3rd QB. Has this happened recently, if at all, in the NFL? A WR becoming the emergency QB?[/quote]I can't think of any off the top of my head, though that's not so odd for a WR, I guess. The emergency 3rd QB here in Indy is P Hunter Smith.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']With Trent Green getting his head examined in Kansas City, the Phins have activated Cleo Lemon as current starting QB and moved John Beck up a spot. Now get this, during practice this week, Marty Booker was getting snaps as the "emergency" 3rd QB. Has this happened recently, if at all, in the NFL? A WR becoming the emergency QB?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Also Micheal Robinson from the 49ers whom is an RB there is the 3rd String Emer. Backup QB. Robinson was a QB at Penn State Last Year.

I was expecting that players such as Punters/RBs would be more likely candidates for an emergency QB position than a WR would be. I guess it just really caught me off guard, especially that it was Booker. Then again, the Dolphins could be like Carolina and sign an old quarterback...oh wait...

[quote name='CaseyRyback']TO is so money. I can't wait for the Boys to beat up on the Pats this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Likewise I can't wait for the Pats to beat up dem Cowbabys. Gonna be a good game regardless.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3057714

TO is so money. I can't wait for the Boys to beat up on the Pats this weekend.[/QUOTE]

They had a TO Voice montage on Sportscenter yesterday with all the crazy shit he says on the field. Good Stuff. TO also said in the past 2 weeks he played some of his worst ball ever so hopefully that TO doesn't show up to Sunday's Game.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Well should the teams have to kick every last minute field goal twice? It's definitely going to be changed, maybe not the rule but the way the refs are alerted. They might go back to the buzzer system. That way when one ref is told timeout he can use the buzzer to alert all the refs on the field.

I mean, we've seen it 4 times already this season:

Broncos vs Raiders
Raiders vs Browns
Philadelphia vs Redskins (didn't work, skins then went for it on the 4th and got a td)
Cowboys vs Buffalo

There will be changes in the game to prevent this from happening.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the buzzer system would help. And wasn't the buzzer system used for instant replay? I don't remember it being used for Timeouts. And just because we have seen it 4 times doesn't mean it will be changed. You know it's going to happen one time where the kicker will miss the first FG and the other team will have called a timeout. Then the kicker will make it the second time. I think it is just a startegy that some teams will use and others won't.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']With Trent Green getting his head examined in Kansas City, the Phins have activated Cleo Lemon as current starting QB and moved John Beck up a spot. Now get this, during practice this week, Marty Booker was getting snaps as the "emergency" 3rd QB. Has this happened recently, if at all, in the NFL? A WR becoming the emergency QB?[/quote]

At one point the third string QB for the Steelers when Big Ben was out was Antwaan Randle El

Reggie Bush is about to be sued and suspened for accepting improper benefits while at USC.

Bye Bye Saints.

[quote name='DJSteel']At one point the third string QB for the Steelers when Big Ben was out was Antwaan Randle El[/quote]

Yeah it's not that unusual. The Packers have had only 2 QBs active all year. The 3rd stringer is on the practice squad. WR Carlisle Holliday (Former ND QB) was the emergency til he was placed on IR. Now its WR Ruvell Martin. (HS QB)

[quote name='Soodmeg']Reggie Bush is about to be sued and suspened for accepting improper benefits while at USC.

Bye Bye Saints.[/QUOTE]

Didn't the same thing happen to him when he was a Senior at USC? I remember they made a big fuss about it right before he got drafted.

Same thing happened with Lebron James.

EDIT: I don't think they can suspend him. From what i read if he is found guilty he will owe the guy the money and might have his Heisman Trophey revoked. Also there will be punishment for the Coaches at USC if they knew about any of this.

[quote name='DomLando']I don't think the buzzer system would help. And wasn't the buzzer system used for instant replay? I don't remember it being used for Timeouts. And just because we have seen it 4 times doesn't mean it will be changed. You know it's going to happen one time where the kicker will miss the first FG and the other team will have called a timeout. Then the kicker will make it the second time. I think it is just a startegy that some teams will use and others won't.[/quote]

I think the no coaches timeout on a FG solution is better.

Even though the tactic may benefit somebody at some point, this re-doing the FG thing makes the whole deal look like a joke.

[quote name='primetime']I think the no coaches timeout on a FG solution is better.

Even though the tactic may benefit somebody at some point, this re-doing the FG thing makes the whole deal look like a joke.[/quote]

jeremyshockey.gif

[quote name='GuilewasNK']All they have to do is say no time out during FGs when the offense is set.[/QUOTE]

or just reverse the rule of having time outs being called from the side line. the rule was only implemented a couple of years ago.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']or just reverse the rule of having time outs being called from the side line. the rule was only implemented a couple of years ago.[/quote]

What I dont understand is how the hell do these people get such perfect timing on these god damn time outs?

Its not like they just call it when the offense lines up....that seem to time it just right that 1 second before the snap is is hiked they get the time out off.

Its just seems strange how you can guess the timing of the snap of the field goal....I would think it would be hard to time it so that everyone in the world thinks the play got off.

I think the refs should just ignore them.

[quote name='Soodmeg']What I dont understand is how the hell do these people get such perfect timing on these god damn time outs?

Its not like they just call it when the offense lines up....that seem to time it just right that 1 second before the snap is is hiked they get the time out off.

Its just seems strange how you can guess the timing of the snap of the field goal....I would think it would be hard to time it so that everyone in the world thinks the play got off.

I think the refs should just ignore them.[/quote]

I don't know. During punts though you always see the center raise his head before he snaps it- maybe they do the same things on FGs. Or maybe it's the small hitch with the ball the long snapper always makes before sending it back.

You saw in the replay how Jauron called the TO- "no, no, no, no, no, yes." So you could react pretty quickly that way.

I'm kinda curious though. The camera view is usually from behind on FGs, so we can't really see what the coaches see. Something is definitely there though.

[quote name='fart_bubble']AWESOME GIF!! Man do I hate that dude.[/quote]

Then you hate AMERICA!

shockeyeagle.jpg

Shockey's eagle is WATCHING YOU!

I actually don't mind the guy that much.

I hate Shockey b/c he hasn't done crap for my fantasy team :). Seriously he's ok but like T.O. he's a trash talker that will drop critical passes from time to time. If you're gonna run your mouth you'd better be able to back it up.

Anybody see this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3059752&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Pittsburgh Steelers backup tailback Najeh Davenport has been charged by Cleveland police with three misdemeanor counts in connection with an alleged Oct. 4 domestic incident.

The charges were reported Thursday night by the Fox affiliate in Cleveland and by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and confirmed by a police spokesman.

Cleveland police Lt. Thomas Stacho said Davenport, 28, has been charged with domestic violence, endangering children and unlawful restraint. The charges of domestic violence and endangering children, both first-degree misdemeanors, each carry a maximum sentence of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. The unlawful restraint misdemeanor is a third-degree charge, with maximum punishment of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.
Ugh, this is not good. Gotta see how it turns out, the story seems slightly odd at the moment.

Also, this neat little map may help somebody out. It's for regional TV coverage each week. I think they're pretty accurate.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html

[quote name='klwillis45']Yeah it's not that unusual. The Packers have had only 2 QBs active all year. The 3rd stringer is on the practice squad. WR Carlisle Holliday (Former ND QB) was the emergency til he was placed on IR. Now its WR Ruvell Martin. (HS QB)[/quote]

I'm just glad they have a guy like Aaron Rodgers, he seems pretty solid and performed well most of time he's come in.

[quote name='primetime']Anybody see this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3059752&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Ugh, this is not good. Gotta see how it turns out, the story seems slightly odd at the moment.

Also, this neat little map may help somebody out. It's for regional TV coverage each week. I think they're pretty accurate.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html[/quote]

I caught the highlight of that during the game between Hawaii and San Jose today. I can't believe San Jose threw away a game like that with 6 1/2 minutes to go and up by 14 pts, it reminded me of the Sunday Night Game between Packers and Bears -_-

[quote name='primetime']

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html[/QUOTE]

nice map, i actually checked the guide on my tv earlier in the week because sacramento has a notoriously bad market when it comes to sports. sure enough , were getting raiders chargers instead of the real game that the rest of the country is getting.

well needless to say, i made plans to go to the local sports bar with some friends, so now we get to watch the game on a big screen and have nice beer, so i guess thats the silver lining.

but fuck sacramento, its always shitty raiders games instead of the good afc teams.

The map is pretty neat also....I was curious what was on since Detroit is on a bye this week.

I still find it odd that somegames (even as shitty as they may be) have NO HD (Miami at Cleveland).

bread's done
Back