OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

Saw a yard sale this mourning on foot so I stopped. Had a copy of Ready to Rumble boxing 2 for $1 and figured meh its a game I dont own. I wasnt planning on garage sailing at all so I didnt have any singles on me. The guy was gonna break a $20 for me and before I left he said I didnt give him the $20....I couldnt recall giving him a $20 so I gave him one...got home and counted my money since my fiancee rembered how much I had on me and sure enough I gave him two $20s.

Soooooooo my garage sale find for the day was Ready to Rumble boxing for $21.

Well I've been on this site for about 5 days and never really new the possibilities of Garage Sales for video games...I know now. This weekend was my first weekend out. I put in roughly 40+ addresses into my GPS and set street sales or anything mentioning video games first on my list. I was up @ 7am to hit 'em early and here's what my 2 days came up with. I'm also on the road for my job covering 3 counties so I was able to stop at a few unadvertized sales.

Friday:

Found this first in a garage sale out in the sticks.
IMG_6305.jpg

Next was this find right down the road no less than 2 miles. Got everything for $8, they wanted $10 but I tried the CIF and I guess I didn't do too bad.

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

The Genisis came with:
Subterrania
Barbie - Super Model
Batman Forever - The Movie
Taz-Mania
Rocket Knight Adventure
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - The Movie
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & 3
Tiny Toons - Busters Hidden Treasure
College Football National Championship 2
NBA Jam
Genisis 6 PAK w/Sonic the Hedghog - Golden Axe - Streets of Rage - Revenge of Shinobi - Columns & Super Hang-On

On my way home from work I stopped at the next find. The guy had a Genisis with 4 games w/inst. in box and wanted $30 and wouldn't budge because he claimed he had an Atari in mint condition with 10 games and wasn't sure what to part with, so he decided to keep the classic sysytem.:roll: Mind you the Geneis and games were beyond dusty, borderline filthy. So when I was ready to leave he said "I got some PS1 games if your interested?" I'm thinking "Right, how much?" So I walked over and out of his 15+/- games I picked this up for $3 dollars without hesitation, IT IS MINT!!! Played maybe once! I paid and left so fast I think I ran the 40 in 4 secs!! I couldn't believe he didn't know what he had sitting there! I was ecstatic:D

IMG_6289.jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

IMG_6291.jpg

The last find for the day was this N-Gage with power adapter/charger for $1. I need a SIM card to play games. If anyone has a dead/used one they don't need please pm me as I can't find one on the net without having to pay $10+ for a new one. It powered up and hold it's charge.

IMG_6302.jpg

Saturday:

This was my first find. They wanted $10 I CIF $5, not too bad. Has yellowed a bit and needs some cleaning though.

IMG_6300.jpg

Games included:
The Pagemaster
The Jungle Book
Bebe's Kids
Super Mario World
Super Mario Cart

My next was these video games at a sale advertized w/VG's, paid $8.

IMG_6301.jpg

D2 is in mint condition and Hey You Pikachu is also mint with Inst. Manual, Quick Start & N64 Voice Recognition Unit Inst. Book.

My last find of the day was this, got it CIF for $2, wanted $5. Like new, in box with instructions and still in plastic. Doesn't looked used more than once!

IMG_6303.jpg

So for my first time out I was quite happy with everything. I just can't get the hang of CIF $1 for someone asking $5 for something like some of the other masters on here (snotknocker & moiety to name a few). I'm sure it'll become habit, just need to practice.

Well off to look through the Sunday paper and Pennysavers. I think I'll stop at the PS main office to get all published papers to increase my search radius, it can't hurt.

Until next week!
Good luck you cheap bastards!:lol:
:applause:

Hit 3 sales today. 2 were a bust

I scored a CIB Star Wars 7262 Lego set. The Box was opened on one side and the tape ripped the the box where it adheres but everything is still bagged inside.

NES Shingen the ruler

PC - Ultimate Pinball Gold New and sealed

The lady had like 5 NES titles marked $1 each this was the only I don't have so I grabbed this the pc game and the legos and CIF $2 which she did'nt even hesitate on

Just picked up FFVII GH and Castlevania SOTN Black Label with a free Castlevania IV SNES cart for $5 each!!

Reallllly excited about these !! Pics tonight

Great finds guys! Got a question. Is there any way to unyellow a Yellow SNES? Iv scored several SNESs in the last few weeks including 2 CIB. Im thinking of selling one of the SNES in its box and keeping the other, but a few are kinda yellow.

good going jcs7573. It's good to see that you've have started off with a bang using the CIF technique. If you're goining to CIF $1 for a $5 item you must remember the seller always can reject. If it's worth 41 to him he'll sell if not you can always haggle. Sometimes I will CIF low and the people give me some kind of ludicrous look or or say something to me and my standard response is "can't blame a guy for trying" It's all good 99.99% of the time. Sometimes people may tend to gewt a little snippy when I low ball but like I've always said and you must remember that you'll probably never see these people again in your life. Good luck on future outings and welcome to the club

[quote name='GodOfTheMind1369']Not yard sale finds, but great nonetheless:

Found these at FYE:

Megaman X6 (PSX, sealed) - $10
Eternal Eyes (PSX, sealed) - $2.50

Somebody tried to trade this stuff in today, but we don't take it back anymore:

Sega Saturn (2nd model with two 2nd model controller and all hookups. System didn't have a scratch on it. :))

All games complete and mint to near mint condition:

Bootleg Sampler
Nights Into Dreams Demo
Virtua Fighter 2/Virtua Cop/ Daytona USA 3 pack (complete except for the Virtua Cop manual)
PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!!!
GUARDIAN HEROES!!!
Panzer Dragoon
Brain Dead 13
Robotica
Virtua Racing

Total: $25!!!! :D :D :D [/quote]

Trade in this stuff where? I see your on Long Island, where do you do your yard saling? Pretty ridiculous score, particularly if you work at a place that accepts trade ins. Ive done that a few times; at funcoland, a elderly man wanted to trade in his 25 or so Nintendo games, and was told that he'd only get about $4 in store credit. I happened to be standing there and offered $8 (maybe $10, it was about 7 years ago), and he gladly took it. The clerk however, obviously stated that this transaction must be held outside the store. I also was able to get a GB Advance this way as well for $5; the kid couldn't trade it in because he was too young.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Great finds guys! Got a question. Is there any way to unyellow a Yellow SNES? Iv scored several SNESs in the last few weeks including 2 CIB. Im thinking of selling one of the SNES in its box and keeping the other, but a few are kinda yellow.[/quote]

As far as I know, once it is yellow it stays yellow.

Is this craigslist deal worth $75?

Nintendo 64 with power cord & A/V hookup cable, 2 controllers, Game Shark and the following games:

Yoshi’s Story
Super Smash Bros.
Banjo-Kazooie
Mario Kart 64
Banjo-Tooie – Strategy Guide included
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Paper Mario – Strategy Guide included
Mortal Kombat 4
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye 007 – Strategy Guide included
Castlevania 64
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness
Resident Evil 2
Zelda Majora’s Mask
NBA Live 99
Donkey Kong 64 – Strategy Guide included
Blast Corps
Perfect Dark – Strategy Guide included
James Bond 007 The World Is Not Enough

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Is this craigslist deal worth $75?

Nintendo 64 with power cord & A/V hookup cable, 2 controllers, Game Shark and the following games:

Yoshi’s Story
Super Smash Bros.
Banjo-Kazooie
Mario Kart 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Mortal Kombat 4
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Mario 64
Castlevania 64
Resident Evil 2
Zelda Majora’s Mask
NBA Live 99
Blast Corps
James Bond 007 The World Is Not Enough[/QUOTE]

Worth it? Yes. A good dea? No. Try tossing a lowball out there of like $35 and maybe upping it as needed.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Is this craigslist deal worth $75?

Yoshi’s Story
Super Smash Bros.
Banjo-Kazooie
Mario Kart 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Mortal Kombat 4
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Mario 64
Castlevania 64
Resident Evil 2
Zelda Majora’s Mask
NBA Live 99
Blast Corps
James Bond 007 The World Is Not Enough[/quote]

With the two Zeldas, Paper Mario and the Gameshark in there that seems like a decent deal IMO, especially if the games are complete.

Nintendo Power 1988 (complete, mint, with duplicates)
Nintendo Power 1989 (complete with duplicates)
Nintendo Power 1990 (complete)
Nintendo Power 1991 (complete)
Nintendo Power 1992 (complete)
Nintendo Power 1993 (complete)
Nintendo Power 1994 (complete)
Nintendo Power 1995 (complete)
Nintendo Power 1996 (complete with duplicates + bonus issue)
Nintendo Power 1997 (complete with duplicates)
Nintendo Power 1998 (complete)
Nintendo Power 1999 (complete)
Nintendo Power 2000 (missing March issue)
Nintendo Power 2001 (missing June issue)
Nintendo Power 2002 (January + May issues only)
Nintendo Power Index (lists issues 1-50)
Nintendo Power Strategy Guide: Super Mario Bros. 3
Nintendo Power Strategy Guide: Ninja Gaiden 2
Nintendo Power Strategy Guide: Final Fantasy (super mint)
Nintendo Power Strategy Guide: 4-Player Extra
Nintendo Fun Club News: Issues 4-7
NES "How to set up your NES" (R.O.B. edition)
Super Mario Bros. 2 bonus tipbook, part 1 + 2
How to Win at Super Mario Bros.
N64 Power Tips
Ultra/Game Players issues 82-109, 111
Computer Gaming Magazine, ~40 issues from 1997-2000
Assorted issues of Game Buyer, PC Gamer, and other magazines
Paid: FREE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this listed on Craigslist two hours after it was posted, and luckily we were the first to call! The post itself said something like "Nintendo Power Issues 1987-1999". Ran out to pick them up, and have been enjoying the last 2 hours sorting through them and reclaiming some long lost nostalgia.

We were incredibly surprised at how complete everything is. Overall, the magazines are in excellent shape. There are random issues scattered through that were obviously read multiple times by the kid who had them. However, he kept them in those magazine storage boxes, keeping them safely packed and away from any harmful elements.

For those who don't know, 1988 consisted of the first 3 issues. ALL 3 ARE MINT. We almost fainted when we saw it. From when NP started in 1988 through 2001, we are only missing 2 issues (from 2000, 2001).

This was an extra bonus for me personally, as I was bummed to find out a few years ago that my mom had thrown away all my NP's (1989-1994). She still to this day felt bad about it, until she heard about our score today. Not only did she no longer feel bad, I felt vindicated. This has been another personal experience for me that "things always come back to you".

Now it's time to figure out where we're going to store them all....

I decided to take one last shot at yardsaling today. I actually found a few decent things:

Tool-Lateralus CD w/ promo poster (it's autographed by someone, but it's no one in the band) $3

47 Blank HP DVDs-$2

Final Fantasy Tactics non-GH (case is cracked, no manual and CD is scratched to hell but still works)-$3.50

Lunar SSS Guide-$9.50 (The guy obviously knew that it was worth something, but I managed to talk him down from $25--the guide is still in mediocre condition with a page or two missing in the back)

Since I got the Lunar guide, I figured I had to pick up the actual game as well, so I got it on eBay for $54.99--totally complete.

findsc.jpg

360 HD $15 at Wal-Mart
LSL games $5

LSL 2 is complete with 3.5 and 5.25 disks, LSL 5 has two sets of the setup disk and disks 1-7, weird.

The NES games were $3

Lastly, 512mb jump drive, brand new at the swap meet. $10

Moiety, why do I get the feeling that you and Max don't work nearly as hard as a lot of us?

Not to be disparaging. I am sure you do work hard, but I have a feeling that you get it easier than the rest of us (Snotknocker excluded).

Anyway, I put up an ad on Craigslist about games, and everybody who is offering me stuff is charging exorbitant prices. Like this one lady who is trying to sell me some old Game Boy games which she thinks are worth at least $5.00 apiece. What the hell? I will try my best to haggle this.

Anyways, I actually did find a few things at yard sales last Satuday. Unfortunately, I won't have pictures up for now, but I will try to get them soon.

My first find was an NES with all of the hookups and ten games. These ten games each came with instruction manuals and came in those plastic storage cases. They are mostly sports games which have the capacity for 4 people to play. Which brings me to the coolest thing I got in the package. An NES Satellite wireless module. Very cool find. I got everything for $10 after talking down the buyer from $15.

At another sale, I picked up that old Mario Kart toy from Taco Bell circa 1997. I paid 10 cents.

At a church yard sale, which was advertised as large, was a disappointment, but at least I was able to pick up an old accounting textbook and the How to Win at Nintendo Volume 2 book for a dollar.

I was also able to pick up copies of Kung Fu for the NES and the original John Madden Football for the Genesis for 40 cents.

My last find was a sealed copy of the Sopranos board game. I paid 50 cents. The guy who sold it to me was a complete Redneck; I asked if he had any games and (naturally) he said no, and told me to go to GameStop. He then praised that store for their "cheap games" and how he once got 10 games for $30. Whatever.

I hit 25 sales that day; I should really consider going to sales in other towns.

it's been said before, but geography has a lot to do with the prices you pay. i've been yardsaling for literally 15 years -- i go to yard sales and swap meets every single weekend, and thrift stores throughout the week, lowballing when i can, and using the "CIF" technique, though we never called it that ;) -- and you just don't find $2 N64s w/10 games, or an $11 TurboExpress w/15 hucards out here; i hit a score like that about once a year, and that's if i'm lucky. now that's not to say that the CAGs who land those almost-free deals have "dumb luck" or that they don't work hard for their scores. it's just that certain areas, for one reason or another seem to lend themselves to a cheaper secondary market.

in essence, your $17 Castlevania:SOTN is probably equal to one of the other guys' $3 PS2 w/4 games. 'tis just the nature of the beast. don't beat yourself up over not getting the sub-sawbuck scores... keep hacking away at your sales, and you'll eventually get a feel for what YOUR local secondary market will bear. all you can do from there is attack that bottom line like a chainsaw and hope for the best.

I've been thinking a lot about "worth" and "value" when it comes to videogames. These concepts are entirely subjective. Identifying something as a "good deal" or "bad deal" will vary from person to person. Everyone has their own idea of what a game or system is worth.

Example:
Person A who has never owned a NES, and finds one at a yard sale with 3 games marked $15 will likely pay eagerly the asking price, excited that they got such a "great deal" on an old system. Person B (with an exisiting NES collection) will likely either haggle it down or pass, because to him, $15 for the bundle is a "bad deal".

There are several questions to ask yourself.

1. What is my first reaction to hearing the price of this game/system/bundle?
Ignore eBay and its false dictation of a game's worth. Sure, eBay can demonstrate the rarity of a game, but that doesn't mean you should have to pay "eBay prices". What is your gut reaction? Do you cringe at the price, or does relief flood through you, because deep down inside, it's within your acceptable price range? Listen to your gut. If $20 for a standalone Genesis is reasonable to you, then it's a good deal. And if Person B says it was a 'meh' deal, it was good enough for you, wasn't it?

2. What is this game/system/bundle worth to me?
A system you never had, a game you enjoyed as a kid, a rare system you've been hunting for years, or the 20th Mario/Duck Hunt you've seen that day. A buyer should take this question into consideration. Even though I personally struggle with myself paying more than 50 cents for a cart only game, I would be willing to pay a little more for a personal favorite, a game I never had but always wanted, something rare, etc. Evaluate your potential purchase based on your experience, interest, existing collection, purpose for buying, etc.

3. How often do I come across this game/system/bundle?
It seems that people in difference regions of the country comes across different systems more frequently than others. We see Genesis and N64 stuff every week, while others may have yet to come across a Genesis. The person finally finding one will be willing to pay a bit more, while the person who has seen several might pass on it. Again, this is an evaluation of your personal experience.

4. When looking at this game/system/bundle, how much or how little am I willing to pay?
The final question. What dollar amount pops into your head when confronted with an item of interest? When I see NES, GEN, or N64 carts, I instinctively think 25 cents. Someone else will think $1. Still someone else will think $3. Others would say $5 or more is reasonable. Everyone is different. Go with what you feel is fair to yourself.

Always try to determine a price range. What's the highest I would pay? What's the lowest price that they might take? That way, during the haggling process, you can keep yourself safe from paying more than you want to pay.

Remember, even if you pay more for something than someone else who has posted here, does not mean you got a "bad deal" or a "not so great" deal. How do you feel about your purchase? I would say that everyone who has posted their finds in this and last years thread have posted great deals.

Bottom line: If you are happy with your purchase and you are glad you got it, then yes, it's a "good deal".

[quote name='doctordoom1974']Moiety, why do I get the feeling that you and Max don't work nearly as hard as a lot of us?

Not to be disparaging. I am sure you do work hard, but I have a feeling that you get it easier than the rest of us (Snotknocker excluded).
[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for myself here but, I may possibly put in an hour of prep time a week. Now for my outings I can continually find 20 -30 or more sales within a 10 mile radius of my house most of them are unadvertised. Am I geographically lucky? My answer to that would be yes.

I am very quick at each sale and am very focused on hitting up as many sales as possible between 8 and 11 AM. To me these are the key hours to find the goods. I implement all the tips and tricks to maximize my best deal.

I do not think I would label any of this "work". For me it is fun, it's a hobby. Now I consider myself a somewhat seasoned yardsailer which is something that did not happen overnight. It's been a little over 2 years that I've been hitting up sales to build my collection and in that time I've missed and scored some amazing deals, so I do know that they are out there. There is no substitute for experience in this game. The experience and dedication to going out week after week (often finding nothing) are the catylysts for successfully scoring continual deals. If you put your time in and have fun with this and take the pointers that other people post about you will be successful.

Allyourblood, Moiety and Snotknocker, thanks for the advice. I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did.

And this just in, there is a man three towns away from me who is selling his Saturn, Turbo Graphx, and Jaguar with a bunch of games and magazines. I talked to this man, and it turns out that he knows what he owns. Does this offer have potential?

I also just thought of something. Do you think it is a safe idea to give out your cell phone number in e-mails to potential sellers? Thanks.

[quote name='doctordoom1974']Allyourblood, Moiety and Snotknocker, thanks for the advice. I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did.

And this just in, there is a man three towns away from me who is selling his Saturn, Turbo Graphx, and Jaguar with a bunch of games and magazines. I talked to this man, and it turns out that he knows what he owns. Does this offer have potential?[/quote]
if he "knows what he owns" in the sense that he is aware of it's Ebay value, then you're probably already losing the battle. people seem to think that they can charge an Ebay price without having to actually sell it online. i've gently reminded some sellers of the myriad reasons why they shouldn't expect that type of return on their goods. this will almost NEVER get you a better deal, and in fact, it's gonna piss some people off. well, good. i hope they get pissed and learn a lesson. if you want Ebay values, you're gonna have to go to Ebay. you don't drive to Wendy's and ask for a 7-layer Burrito! (was that a bizarre analogy? oh well, too bad.) ;)

I also just thought of something. Do you think it is a safe idea to give out your cell phone number in e-mails to potential sellers? Thanks.
it should be fine. use your best judgement when dealing w/Craigslist sellers, though. you're safe as far as, "is this guy going to come kill me in my sleep?", but not as much when it comes to spammers and telemarketers, jerks, and general weirdos. i purposely give out my mobile # so i can field the calls from there, and not have nutcases calling my house at odd hours. i don't recommend giving out your address. a couple quick Craigslist tips:

in general, try not to meet people at night, regardless of location. there's less people (read: witnesses) around the later it gets, and usually the only sort of person that wants to sell you XB360 games at 1am in the park is a mugger/thief/loony.

meet at a well-lit, heavily-populated public area. the mall, in the food court at 3pm, or at the library at noon, etc. understand who is where, and what you would do if this person sticks a gun in your gut (other than sh*t your pants).
now, i personally have met people at their house, and that's at your discretion. if they're standing outside the house when you show up, that might make you give pause, and rightly so. just use your best judgement and make sure you know what type of person you're dealing with, and what the deal is before you get there. if things are fishy, just excuse yourself quickly and leave.

don't know if that's what you meant, but i'm throwing out those lil' safety tips anyway.

[quote name='allyourblood']if he "knows what he owns" in the sense that he is aware of it's Ebay value, then you're probably already losing the battle. people seem to think that they can charge an Ebay price without having to actually sell it online. i've gently reminded some sellers of the myriad reasons why they shouldn't expect that type of return on their goods. this will almost NEVER get you a better deal, and in fact, it's gonna piss some people off. well, good. i hope they get pissed and learn a lesson. if you want Ebay values, you're gonna have to go to Ebay. you don't drive to Wendy's and ask for a 7-layer Burrito! (was that a bizarre analogy? oh well, too bad.) ;)

it should be fine. use your best judgement when dealing w/Craigslist sellers, though. you're safe as far as, "is this guy going to come kill me in my sleep?", but not as much when it comes to spammers and telemarketers, jerks, and general weirdos. i purposely give out my mobile # so i can field the calls from there, and not have nutcases calling my house at odd hours. i don't recommend giving out your address. a couple quick Craigslist tips:

in general, try not to meet people at night, regardless of location. there's less people (read: witnesses) around the later it gets, and usually the only sort of person that wants to sell you XB360 games at 1am in the park is a mugger/thief/loony.

meet at a well-lit, heavily-populated public area. the mall, in the food court at 3pm, or at the library at noon, etc. understand who is where, and what you would do if this person sticks a gun in your gut (other than sh*t your pants).
now, i personally have met people at their house, and that's at your discretion. if they're standing outside the house when you show up, that might make you give pause, and rightly so. just use your best judgement and make sure you know what type of person you're dealing with, and what the deal is before you get there. if things are fishy, just excuse yourself quickly and leave.

don't know if that's what you meant, but i'm throwing out those lil' safety tips anyway.[/QUOTE]

People seriously don't understand the hassle that eBay presents, and hence the reason why eBay drop off store even got started. Sure selling online is easy, but the actually transaction part is a pain in the ass (shipping, money handling, etc). The only reason why I still do it is cause I still make a decent amount cause I selectively put items on eBay.

A lot of the people that look to ebay for pricing do fail to realize all the fees/time/effort associated with it. They just don't understand that something listed on ebay for $100 is actually netting the seller less than that. I used to run across the very same thing back in my days of comic, sci-fi/horror movie memorabilia collecting when price guides became all the rage. Some of the price guides were actually written by people into collecting something that would place some out-of-the-air value on items (usually in an attempt to make their collection more valuable).

The hardest part was/is that non-collectors (using ebay or price guides to find out what their items were worth) usually never understand the idea of condition affecting the value. I've seen people trying to sell items at mint condition prices that were torn up. It's the "but the price guide says it's worth X" mentality.

I do have to say one good thing for ebay is that now with the ability to obtain items that you may never have had a chance to see in person, it's cause the market to level off a bit for some items that used to be more expensive in certain areas due only to their limited availablity.

On a bit of a side note, a fellow gamer (and EB clerk) and I were talking the other day about how some of the classic stuff is starting to creep up in price over the past few months on ebay. He mentioned several items that he saw sell for a good bit more than one would typically think. We talked that some of this may be due to the fact that EB and GameStop are no longer buying/selling that older stuff which makes it's availablity in some areas harder to come by. The only other place for people to turn (that don't have access to a GameCrazy or some other shop that still deals in the older stuff) is ebay. Just something to keep in mind that if there's a classic game you have been looking for on ebay, the prices now are probably lower than they will be in the not to distant future as more people will be heading there looking for the stuff...supply and demand...gotta love it...lol.

RING! RING! RING!

Me: Hello
Stranger: Hi, this is Joe. My sister gave me your number, she said you were looking for videogames at her yardsale last week.
Me: Hi! Joe, yeh that's right, what do you have?
Joe: I got a old Nintendo with some games maybe 10 or more. It's got all the plugs and stuff. Are you interested?
Me: Sure Joe, how much you want for it.
Joe: I don't want anything for it, just come by and pick it up. I think there's some more games and stuff around here too, I just have to hunt around a little . You're more then welcome to it if I can find them. :shock:

Unfortunately Joe was a little too far away for me to justify gas and time to pick it up. I kindly explained this to Joe and he offered to ship it to me. Then Joe said "better yet, I'll be up in a couple of weekends to see my sister (she lives locally) I'll drop it off" :shock: :shock:

[size=+4]KEEP PASSING OUT THOSE NUMBERS![/size]

1 32X Box (Sega Registration card inside)
1 NES A/V cable
1 NES R/F switch
1 10-Yard Fight (NES, cart only)
1 Hogan's Alley (NES, cart only)
1 Remote Control (NES, cart only)
1 Baseball (NES, cart only)
1 Darkwing Duck (NES, cart only)
1 Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf (NES, cart only)
1 The Three Stooges (NES, cart only)
1 Wheel of Fortune (NES, cart only)
Paid: TRADE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was talking to one of my coworkers on Monday, and we got onto the topic of yardsaling and eventually videogames. He has two kids just finishing up high school, and he was saying how he has tons of NES, SNES, GEN, and other misc. games just sitting in the attic, and coincidentally he was just starting to eBay random ones (for example, he eBay'd Breath of Fire + manual and was shocked it went for about $25). Luckily we have it complete, else I would've been super-bummed. He doesn't seem to know the values of the games (like which is common and which is not), he's just looking to get rid of them and get a little money for the effort.

But anyway, he went on to say how he collects sports cards, and both evilmax and I just so happen to have old cards from the late 80's/early 90's, so it all ended up that we have this sort of ongoing trade happening. I kept it very open-ended, as I understand he wants to eBay some stuff, and just said "Anything you want to get rid of, bring it in." He's a wicked nice guy and is glad to give some of this stuff a new home.

Nothing rare or anything, but out of the 8 games he gave me, we only had Hogan's Alley and Wheel of Fortune, so it was good to expand the catalog a bit. Plus Darkwing Duck was a personal "hope-to-find" game for me. He brought it all in to the office in a 32X box (didn't know where the system was), so that was a nice plus, especially after finding one this weekend.

He has more stuff that I guess will be trickling in as we trade with each other. I have no clue what he'll be bringing in as the days go on. I'll keep you guys updated as more transactions occur!

picked up today:

SNES, no cables, filthy, but nice condition underneath all the "yuck": $3.
TurboGrafx-16: no cables, but it does include the rear shroud: $3.
Xbox 1 controller: the ol' Gorilla-paw pad (the giant one). i only have two type-S, so this'll help for multiplayer: $3.

$9. "meh" prices, IMO, for what i found, but i have spare cables, so i'll probably complete the systems and trade them here on CAG, or just throw them on the pile (sort of literally).

Pawn Shop find today. $1 Disc Only Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast. The guy said everything in this large box was $1 and they were just empty cases if you lost yours i suppose. Saw this one and remembered seeing it at eb for over 10 to 20 so i picked it up. The guy opened the case to show me it was empty and ask was i sure what i was doing, but to his surprise (and my glee) there was the disc in fine working condition.:lol:

[quote name='snotknocker']RING! RING! RING!

Me: Hello
Stranger: Hi, this is Joe. My sister gave me your number, she said you were looking for videogames at her yardsale last week.
Me: Hi! Joe, yeh that's right, what do you have?
Joe: I got a old Nintendo with some games maybe 10 or more. It's got all the plugs and stuff. Are you interested?
Me: Sure Joe, how much you want for it.
Joe: I don't want anything for it, just come by and pick it up. I think there's some more games and stuff around here too, I just have to hunt around a little . You're more then welcome to it if I can find them. :shock:

Unfortunately Joe was a little too far away for me to justify gas and time to pick it up. I kindly explained this to Joe and he offered to ship it to me. Then Joe said "better yet, I'll be up in a couple of weekends to see my sister (she lives locally) I'll drop it off" :shock: :shock:

[SIZE=+4]KEEP PASSING OUT THOSE NUMBERS![/SIZE][/quote]

That's perfectly all right. Glad you lucked out here, but I don't think giving out your number and address is the smartest thing in the world unless you're interested in getting phone calls from The Republican Police Athletic Commission Church of Latter Day Saints looking for money, or myabe if you want the next Jeffrey Dahmer to come knocking.

[quote name='spmahn']That's perfectly all right. Glad you lucked out here, but I don't think giving out your number and address is the smartest thing in the world unless you're interested in getting phone calls from The Republican Police Athletic Commission Church of Latter Day Saints looking for money, or myabe if you want the next Jeffrey Dahmer to come knocking.[/QUOTE]

he never said to give your real name nor address. And if smeone was going to hunt you down from your phone number they could do that just from the phone book.

[quote name='spmahn']That's perfectly all right. Glad you lucked out here, but I don't think giving out your number and address is the smartest thing in the world unless you're interested in getting phone calls from The Republican Police Athletic Commission Church of Latter Day Saints looking for money, or myabe if you want the next Jeffrey Dahmer to come knocking.[/quote]

i don't think many people are giving out their address; as has been discussed, it's ill-advised. many here give out their phone number generously (myself included), with no negative effects thus far (and i've been doing this for more than a few years). i'd be pretty surprised to leave my number with Mz. Thirty-two-year-old at her yard sale, and receive a tele-spam days later. i'm not saying it won't happen; i am saying it's highly unlikely, and the pluses outweigh the minuses.

I have a question for you guys about cleaning your finds. I picked up that gba sp last week for $7. I was wondering what is the best way to clean it with out leaving a residue. I've been using 409 on a lot of my stuff, which works pretty well, but it leaves a very slight residue. The residue doesn't seem as bad as what was left by this Orange Clean stuff I used to use.

Also, what is a good way to clean a game system's box? I was doing a little bit of curb diving and found someone was throwing away a N64 box. I was wanting to wipe it down and spray something inside to remove a slight smell. I also need to clean out the inside of my Sega CD box.

[quote name='erehwon']I have a question for you guys about cleaning your finds. I picked up that gba sp last week for $7. I was wondering what is the best way to clean it with out leaving a residue. I've been using 409 on a lot of my stuff, which works pretty well, but it leaves a very slight residue. The residue doesn't seem as bad as what was left by this Orange Clean stuff I used to use.[/quote]
i use 409, goo gone, rubbing alcohol, magic erasers and plain water, all to varying degrees, and depending on what i'm cleaning. i find that after using 409, going over the item with a cloth lightly moistened with water will usually clear up any left over residue/film. the residue also seems to go away on its own over time. orange clean and goo gone are oil based, and that's what you're experiencing. i use those strictly for sticker removal, and i'll follow them with 409 and then water usually. if it's very delicate, i'll continually dab/wipe at the oily residue with a clean, dry cloth until the "slickness" goes away.

Also, what is a good way to clean a game system's box? I was doing a little bit of curb diving and found someone was throwing away a N64 box. I was wanting to wipe it down and spray something inside to remove a slight smell. I also need to clean out the inside of my Sega CD box.
cleaning the boxes can be tough, and sometimes it's better to just leave the crud/marker/sticker/ink/etc. than ruin the box further with a cleaning. for smells, throw a dryer sheet in the box, close it, and leave it be for a week. those things work miracles. you might also try dusting the inside with carpet deodarising powder or foot powder. weird, i know, but they work. anything you spray is probably going to wrinkle or warp the cardboard, so skip those. for a light cleaning (perhaps your Sega CD box), very lightly dampen a cloth with water, and just gently swab the inside walls of the box. 'course, if it's just the inside of the box, you might not have to clean much at all.

agag i'm sad....some guy around here had 3 xbox 360s he got for free somehow, 1 core for 50 dollars and 2 premiums for 80 dollars....someone bought all 3 right before me....I'm thoroughly depressed :'(

[quote name='tbizzy1o1']agag i'm sad....some guy around here had 3 xbox 360s he got for free somehow, 1 core for 50 dollars and 2 premiums for 80 dollars....someone bought all 3 right before me....I'm thoroughly depressed :'([/QUOTE]
Yeah, Im sure that wasnt a scam and/or stolen goods.

[quote name='tbizzy1o1']agag i'm sad....some guy around here had 3 xbox 360s he got for free somehow, 1 core for 50 dollars and 2 premiums for 80 dollars....someone bought all 3 right before me....I'm thoroughly depressed :'([/QUOTE]

I saw a similar post on CL. The guy had 2 premiums and 1 core. $250 and $150 respectively. He said he got them from on-line promotions. I replied to his post but did not get a response. Kinda sucks cause my 360 just gave up the ghost on Monday. Would of loved to have got that core for $150

[quote name='megaseadramon']Yeah, Im sure that wasnt a scam and/or stolen goods.[/quote]

They, um... fell off a truck. :lol:

[quote name='JSweeney']They, um... fell off a truck. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ya if you look back through the topics I posted a similar deal in my area. My guess is its a guy dealing in stolen goods. If it was someone just dealing in promo items he would probaly sell them for more and only in one area. With it being in so many it has to be someone that came across of alot of stolen 360s.

Hey Scrubsy that is so funny I was just looking at that auction going WTF mate $200?

I also live in this god forsaken desert called Arizona. Have you found any good deals here? I never see anything good at yard sales?

I will find a garage sale every once and awhile that has gaming stuff. The one problem I find in phoenix is that the garage sales are to far spread out. I usually just hit up goodwills and can usually find some good deals.

Goodwills around here are usually HORRIBLE on game systems. They tried putting some of them in front cases for weekly auctions and idiots bid them up way to high (sometimes beyond what they could be purchased for at GS/EB). There's an XBOX listed "as is" with no cables/controller at one store I saw today that was bid up to $70...what's the point?

Once the stores learned they could get decent (if not higher than average) prices for the gaming stuff, ALL systems that are newer and/or complete go straight in the weekly bid cases. So, if you want local deals on systems, garage sales are the only option.

PS: a local gamestore clerk (and old school gamer) I know and I were talking this week about how prices for classic games have been on the increase on ebay over th past few months. We talked about how it's probably due in part to the fact that GS/EB no longer carry the classic stuff. If you don't have an GC or other local mom/pop type store that carries the classic stuff, ebay is your only other option to find those specific titles (gotta love supply and demand...thphp...lol).

[quote name='STATIC3D']Goodwills around here are usually HORRIBLE on game systems. They tried putting some of them in front cases for weekly auctions and idiots bid them up way to high (sometimes beyond what they could be purchased for at GS/EB). There's an XBOX listed "as is" with no cables/controller at one store I saw today that was bid up to $70...what's the point?[/quote]

we have one thrift store near here that used to do that. i know for a fact that they artificiallly boosted the prices in order to psych people into outbidding the current bid. i wouldn't be surprised if your stores did the same.

Found greatest hits of Chrono Cross, Legends of Dragoon, Final Fantasy VII, and Final Fantasy VIII at a thrift store. I left 7 there for someone else as I'd just gotten a non-GH for a buck at a garage sale. All in all though, I paid $6.99 each.

I hope you all have good luck this weekend. I'll be stuck home recovering from a cold. I probably should stop for awhile anyways. I have a ton of games to go through and clean.

I did just receive Chrono Trigger (cart only) as part of a trade. I traded FFVII for the pc that I got from a church rumage sale.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Found greatest hits of Chrono Cross, Legends of Dragoon, Final Fantasy VII, and Final Fantasy VIII at a thrift store. I left 7 there for someone else as I'd just gotten a non-GH for a buck at a garage sale. All in all though, I paid $6.99 each.[/QUOTE]

What did you leave behind? I had to sell alot of my PSX RPGs not long ago to pay for a car bill, you would be my hero if that thrift store wasnt far off and I could pay you to pick those up for me.

[quote name='MSI Magus']What did you leave behind? I had to sell alot of my PSX RPGs not long ago to pay for a car bill, you would be my hero if that thrift store wasnt far off and I could pay you to pick those up for me.[/quote]

Sorry, my bad, I left Final Fantasy VII there, I'm sure it's still there, but I have the other three sitting next to me right now, and since I haven't played chrono cross at all, and Dragoon for a while, I'm keeping those.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Sorry, my bad, I left Final Fantasy VII there, I'm sure it's still there, but I have the other three sitting next to me right now, and since I haven't played chrono cross at all, and Dragoon for a while, I'm keeping those.[/QUOTE]

I was asking if the place was close. If it is I was hoping you wouldnt mind pickng up those other RPGs and ill gladly pay you back plus expenses. If its a problem no big, but it would be awsome!

[quote name='MSI Magus']I was asking if the place was close. If it is I was hoping you wouldnt mind pickng up those other RPGs and ill gladly pay you back plus expenses. If its a problem no big, but it would be awsome![/quote]
Yes place is very close, as I will be driving by there within a half hour, and There is only Final Fantasy VII left as I'd bougt the others and it's $6.99 for the greatest hits. I'll go pick it up, and if it doesn't work with you, than I'm sure I can find someone somewhere.

Edit: If it's still there that is.

bread's done
Back