Official Mario Strikers Charged! Discussion and FCs

[quote name='Zen Davis']So guys. Nintendo Online. How is it? Reviews?[/quote]If you get a 3 or 4 star connection (you can accept/decline when they tell you the quality), I've only experienced lag once (3 star). Though I guess Spaz had some stuttering problems in our game last night when mine was perfect.

Friend code entering aside, it's very slick. Invites pop up in your face no matter what you're doing in the interface (it will say you're busy if you're in a game so no worries about that). Leaderboards are nice, though I wish they let you scroll through them instead of just seeing the top 10 or 10 immediately around you. Connecting is getting rather dicey as of last night, now that the majority of people have picked it up. If the Euro launch is any indication, that'll get smoothed out in time.

I played through the tutorials last night and played a couple matches against the computer and a couple against Mrs. Tybee (after letting her play through the tutorial as well, in which she did better than me). She hasn't gotten tackling and switching between players on defense down yet, so she had a rough time, but she's good at blocking Mega Strike shots and passing.

I played one random online match last night against what I can only assume was a kid or a badly outmatched adult, because as inexperienced as I am, I beat him 12-0. It was a 3-4 star connection and the lag was only barely noticeable. During the victory video, my wife called me to kill a spider and by the time I came back he had disconnected. I felt bad, but oh well. 20 points for me! ;)

Got most of the CAG FCs punched in and will try to connect with some of you tonight. I know this is a good game because I've got the shakes at work right now, wishing I was home playing it. I really want to unlock some new stadiums and new characters, but my one Fire Cup game so far and the reports from you guys have me feeling intimidated.

I played for a couple of hours online last night.
Experienced very little lag, and that was in a 3 star.

and it didnt take long to search for another player at all.

the game is great.

Post if you have any interest in setting up a CAG tournament. We have 15 friend codes in the OP right now, so we're on our way to having a good group to work with. Figure we'll wait till the end of the week for more people to pick it up to set things up if there's enough interest.

[quote name='botticus']Post if you have any interest in setting up a CAG tournament. We have 15 friend codes in the OP right now, so we're on our way to having a good group to work with. Figure we'll wait till the end of the week for more people to pick it up to set things up if there's enough interest.[/quote]

I'm in.

Incidentally, I changed my Mii name to my handle to help avoid confusion. They really should allow you to have a "Home" name and a "WiiConnect24" name, so you can use your real name at home.

i ordered mine online, so i probably wont have mine for like another week or so. But id be interested in a tournament.

[quote name='lebowsky']I played a random dude last night (lost 0-2 but didn't do too awful), and then I played Courageous - omg.

My only shining moment was when I blocked all 6 of his 6-shot megastrike. We were playing Lava Pit (or whatever) and he managed to wedge Luigi right behind a pool of lava. There was absolutely no way I could get to him and I totally forgot about shaking the nunchuk to mess up his Megastrike meter.

This is a fun game - but I suck.[/QUOTE]
Dude I remember that moment! I'm not that good though. I think what happens is when you play offline you get used to a certain way to play, then when you go online you have to change up your stragety completely.

I'd be in for a tournament, but I'm moving in a week so I may be MIA for a little bit.

Strell, your challenges amuse me. Perhaps it will be like our legendary Tetris meeting, except that I will be the victor.

I'm in for a tourny, even though I suck.

Thanks for updating the OP, botticus. It's just silly that Nintendo is always going on about "don't reveal your private information!" yet the online name goes by your Mii name (which I assume everyone uses their first real name instead of their handle.) I'll just keep my Mii as "yukine", if I want to play something else I can always change it back real quick.

Regarding the cups, yes you have to restart the current cup. Luckily though, you don't have to go back to the first one (Fire). I made it to the finals on the Crystal Cup and was beaten by Bowser by 1 point, and now I have to go through the whole Crystal Cup again to get back to the finals.

And you guys need to add me, ;) I haven't even played a CAG yet and I added everyone on the OP and only have 2 friends on my list.

[quote name='daroga']Single player is a lot of fun, but the CPU gets pretty hard pretty fast. I dominated the Fire Cup (1st one) and am getting crushed in the Crystal Cup (2nd one).

io, the computer doesn't really let you do mega strikes after the Fire Cup ;)[/QUOTE]

Glad to know it isn't just me, then, as I hit the wall on that cup as well. Somehow I managed to win one game ;).

Then I tried an online match and actually won the first game 6-5. We each got a megastrike off for 5 points and then I scored a regular goal (the way I used to in Super Strikers with a pass-shot combo). Then in the second game he got off a megastrike and just as I was about to defend I lost the connection. It would seem to be a wierd place for him to drop out as he was probably going to take the lead. How does it know if someone disconnects and how are they punished? Because for all I know my Internet connection went flaky, though it seemed I was still on afterwards. Anyway, my record afterwards was 1-0 with 16 points. Whoo-hoo!

The problem I have, and this is true in general with Wii games, is that I find intense action with the Wii remote and nunchuk to be very NON-ergonomic and I get serious hand cramps and wrist pain. Of course, I had just played 7 or so Crystal Cup matches beforehand as well. But I don't think I could have played again. I think the only reason I let 5 megastrike goals through was that I couldn't keep the remote steady by that point :lol:.

As for connection time/lag/etc I had no problems with that last night in my one game and when I connected to add all you guys. But then again I was doing all that at 4am. It logged in very quickly though it did take some time (30 seconds or so) to find me a match. I haven't checked today but after adding everyone and playing online I still wasn't connected to anyone though all the names then showed up (nice that you don't have to type those in at least).

And what's this about shaking the nunchuk to mess up megastrikes? Can you do it even if you are nowhere near the guy?

[quote name='Strell']Iz people playing this online? If yes I might go get it. Blaine messaged me on the Wii about it and I forgot to respond.

Edit: DAROGA? WE FINISH THIS ONLINE.[/QUOTE]

How can someone who claims to want to be a forum guide for the Wii forum NOT have gotten this game already? For shame, Strell... for shame!

[quote name='io']Glad to know it isn't just me, then, as I hit the wall on that cup as well. Somehow I managed to win one game ;).

Then I tried an online match and actually won the first game 6-5. We each got a megastrike off for 5 points and then I scored a regular goal (the way I used to in Super Strikers with a pass-shot combo). Then in the second game he got off a megastrike and just as I was about to defend I lost the connection. It would seem to be a wierd place for him to drop out as he was probably going to take the lead. How does it know if someone disconnects and how are they punished? Because for all I know my Internet connection went flaky, though it seemed I was still on afterwards. Anyway, my record afterwards was 1-0 with 16 points. Whoo-hoo!

The problem I have, and this is true in general with Wii games, is that I find intense action with the Wii remote and nunchuk to be very NON-ergonomic and I get serious hand cramps and wrist pain. Of course, I had just played 7 or so Crystal Cup matches beforehand as well. But I don't think I could have played again. I think the only reason I let 5 megastrike goals through was that I couldn't keep the remote steady by that point :lol:.

As for connection time/lag/etc I had no problems with that last night in my one game and when I connected to add all you guys. But then again I was doing all that at 4am. It logged in very quickly though it did take some time (30 seconds or so) to find me a match. I haven't checked today but after adding everyone and playing online I still wasn't connected to anyone though all the names then showed up (nice that you don't have to type those in at least).

And what's this about shaking the nunchuk to mess up megastrikes? Can you do it even if you are nowhere near the guy?[/quote]

I was playing at lunch and I got a disconnect as I was tackling my opponent for the ball. It seemed to be a general network problem because I got yet another error once I was booted back to the WFC screen. I highly doubt the other guy disconnected since he had already won the first game of the series.

I didn't lose any points for the disconnect and I assume my opponent didn't either but I don't know how the system keeps track of who disconnected first or how it happened.

Shaking the nunchuk to screw up someone's Megastrike meter is in the manual. I have yet to actually pull it off since everytime someone is trying to pull one off, I am just swinging the remote like a madman. Guess I need to start swinging both hands ;)

EDIT: I'm in for a tournament, I'll be an easy win for someone.

yukine! You can't pick Luigi! I called him! I always look for green on the field!

So I just played a couple ranked games and went up against number 45. I see how these top guys do it now, all they do is lob it back and forth almost looks like volleyball, then they try to smash it in. It takes so damn long too, they'll use the lobbing to waste time and score like one goal or two.

What pissed me off is I think the first game he played regular, I got him 3-0. Then he started doing the cheap lob bullshit. Then it was the most annoying matches. I put up a fight but it feels so slow. It makes it boring, similar to snaking in MK that once you learn how to do it, its all you do. Going against on of the higher ranked guys I thought I'd see something cool but it was all lobbing! What the fuck!?

Heh, Luigi is my favorite so I always use him. I just played a game as Daisy and was confused because I kept looking at the other guy's characters since they were green.

Edit: I fucking hate the Hammer Bros., everyone uses them and if you manage to get the special shot it goes in about 90% of the time. :bomb:

Going to pick up my reserved copy tonight, as last night I couldn't make it over to the mall. Will post my code when I get it fired up.

Damn, you're not joking about the lobbing CouRageouS. All they do is keep doing passing lobs and then shoot it in.

Looks like we have an equivalent of snaking in this. :/

[quote name='yukine']Damn, you're not joking about the lobbing CouRageouS. All they do is keep doing passing lobs and then shoot it in.

Looks like we have an equivalent of snaking in this. :/[/quote]

So they are just lobbing to keep the ball out of reach and charge it up at the same time? That's lame. There has to be a way to break their lobs. Laying out the intended passing target is one possibility, although it will give them a special item....

yukine you identity theft! we can't play anymore because Luigi is mine! His entrance music is just too sexy! I call shenanigans! :lol:

I use Daisy as my second choice cause no one seems to play her. So I was extra confused I had my two regular teams on the field. Its worst than when someone uses Yoshi against Luigi. Someone seriously needs to rip all the theme music from the game. I really want Luigi's theme for a ringtone.

[quote name='lebowsky']There has to be a way to break their lobs. Laying out the intended passing target is one possibility, although it will give them a special item....[/QUOTE]
Thats exactly what happens. Even then you need a quick guy like Toad. Peach/Daisy should be able to break em fast.

I always take out people anyway, items are less dangerous than pass-charged shots, in my opinion.

And damn all you people for taking Luigi! I'm gonna have to start learning how to play with Petey Piranha.

[quote name='CouRageouS']yukine you identity theft! we can't play anymore because Luigi is mine! His entrance music is just too sexy! I call shenanigans! :lol:

I use Daisy as my second choice cause no one seems to play her. So I was extra confused I had my two regular teams on the field. Its worst than when someone uses Yoshi against Luigi. Someone seriously needs to rip all the theme music from the game. I really want Luigi's theme for a ringtone.[/quote]

Well my winless streak continues as Yukine just defeated me in straight sets. I will admit, Yoshi vs. Luigi is EXTREMELY confusing. I didn't know who the hell I was half the time. Well that and hitting B when I'm my side of the line doesn't help - god damnit I suck.

Wow, I just had a match with Si (Legendaryhedgehog?) and my controller calibration was off so my guys were forever running right and couldn't left. Sorry I dropped man, but that didn't work at all ;)

Could someone explain this lobbing thing and charged passes? After playing through the tutorial (AFTER beating the Fire cup and not knowing a thing about the different levels of "glow" to the ball) I realized it is easier to score goals when the ball glows white. The CPU players in the Crystal cup get that damn thing glowing right away and I can't seem to get it that way. I tried the chipping thing (Z button) but I always lose control of the ball that way. How do you get the charge up on passing? I pass all over the place and nothing happens. And then what are these people doing to lob the ball?

[quote name='io']Could someone explain this lobbing thing and charged passes? After playing through the tutorial (AFTER beating the Fire cup and not knowing a thing about the different levels of "glow" to the ball) I realized it is easier to score goals when the ball glows white. The CPU players in the Crystal cup get that damn thing glowing right away and I can't seem to get it that way. I tried the chipping thing (Z button) but I always lose control of the ball that way. How do you get the charge up on passing? I pass all over the place and nothing happens. And then what are these people doing to lob the ball?[/quote]I'm not entirely sure how the lobbing goes. Shooting from a distance?

But if you pass long enough, the ball will charge and eventually be white/fully charged. Not sure if it's a fixed amount of passes or affected by your player passing abilities.

[quote name='yukine']Oh brother... I just got matched up with Roger. :lol:

I'll update on how the game goes.[/quote]

I did pretty good! We were even the whole time.

The first game, I won by 4 - 3. And he won the next two games, we were always tied the whole time until the end when he busted out a good charged shot.

[quote name='io']Could someone explain this lobbing thing and charged passes? After playing through the tutorial (AFTER beating the Fire cup and not knowing a thing about the different levels of "glow" to the ball) I realized it is easier to score goals when the ball glows white. The CPU players in the Crystal cup get that damn thing glowing right away and I can't seem to get it that way. I tried the chipping thing (Z button) but I always lose control of the ball that way. How do you get the charge up on passing? I pass all over the place and nothing happens. And then what are these people doing to lob the ball?[/quote]What you do (at least from my experiences) is you charge the ball as if you were going to shoot it, then you pass the ball while holding down the shoot button. Pretty much every move in the game is cancellable, and if you're tricksy, you can keep confusing people. It's great using items while you're charging a super shot, by the way.

[quote name='io']Could someone explain this lobbing thing and charged passes? After playing through the tutorial (AFTER beating the Fire cup and not knowing a thing about the different levels of "glow" to the ball) I realized it is easier to score goals when the ball glows white. The CPU players in the Crystal cup get that damn thing glowing right away and I can't seem to get it that way. I tried the chipping thing (Z button) but I always lose control of the ball that way. How do you get the charge up on passing? I pass all over the place and nothing happens. And then what are these people doing to lob the ball?[/quote]

To charge up the ball you just have to pass the ball between teammates without a break. The ball glows different colors after each successful pass in sequence. I think it takes like 5 passes for it to turn white. If you shoot with a charged ball, your chances for a goal are greater than just shooting willy nilly.

To lob the ball, you hold down Z and then pass. It does a lob pass to your player instead of passing on the ground. If you keep the lob passes up, the ball charges like normal, but you are less likely to get the ball intercepted (unless your player gets flattened before the pass gets to them).

Also, as stated above, you can cancel a shot by hitting A while holding down B for a charged shot. Your character will look like they are going to shoot, and then they will pass, thus faking the shot.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']What you do (at least from my experiences) is you charge the ball as if you were going to shoot it, then you pass the ball while holding down the shoot button. Pretty much every move in the game is cancellable, and if you're tricksy, you can keep confusing people. It's great using items while you're charging a super shot, by the way.[/QUOTE]

I knew I could use items while passing/shooting, but I never thought of trying to pass out of a shot to get it charged up. I'll have to try that.

Edit - ah, using Z. Well, of course I just went by the tutorial and saw that Z was used for chipping the ball ahead and thought that was all it was good for. If you push Z doesn't it do that immediately, or is it only when you let go of Z (so if you hold it down and then press A or B something different happens)?

I also swear that I have passed the ball back and forth like 10 times and had no charge up occur. I thought I was missing something like the need ot hold down A or something to charge the pass.

[quote name='yukine']I believe you can also do lob shots, by holding Z and then pressing B.[/quote]

Yeah, I haven't seen a lobbed shot actually go in, but then again, I've never tried a fully charged lob shot.

Has anyone played in the crystal-whatever arena where a random number of your team gets obliterated and can't come back until a goal is scored? I lost an online match thanks to that shit. That, and my slow characters.

[quote name='io']I knew I could use items while passing/shooting, but I never thought of trying to pass out of a shot to get it charged up. I'll have to try that.

Edit - ah, using Z. Well, of course I just went by the tutorial and saw that Z was used for chipping the ball ahead and thought that was all it was good for. If you push Z doesn't it do that immediately, or is it only when you let go of Z (so if you hold it down and then press A or B something different happens)?

I also swear that I have passed the ball back and forth like 10 times and had no charge up occur. I thought I was missing something like the need ot hold down A or something to charge the pass.[/quote]

I think you are right about Z. Tapping it chips it ahead (which is probably completely useless) and holding it down and then hitting A (lob pass) or B (lob shot) executes the lobs.

All you need to do to charge the ball is pass without a break in the sequence. I just checked the manual (yes, I read it) and it says that the colors change like this:

purple, red, orange, yellow, white

I also think there might be audio cues on how charged the ball is getting, but maybe I was imagining them.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Has anyone played in the crystal-whatever arena where a random number of your team gets obliterated and can't come back until a goal is scored? I lost an online match thanks to that shit. That, and my slow characters.[/QUOTE]
I hate that stage. You try to round out your team for strategy and it all gets thrown out the window.

That stage has to be the one I hate the most. At first, I thought it would be the ship level where lightning keeps striking the center, making electricity flow in every direction, but I came to really enjoy that one. The Sand Tomb level is annoying, but only because, as I said earlier, I use slower characters.

Man, sounds like I really need to incorporate the Z button into my passing and shooting.

I call Waluigi for the tournament. His shots are weak, but I like his speed, and his special power and Mega Strike just look awesome.

I call Luigi, that's right... CouRageouS. :lol:

I'll try practicing with other characters, as I'll need to switch it up once in a while. But damn, any other color is confusing to me.

Shaking the remote to tackle players, I have to say, is INGENIOUS.

I'm also getting a little better at slide-tackling. So clutch when it just gives you the ball, and sometimes just blatantly better than a tackle.

[quote name='Strell']This game sounds too hardcore to be on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Hardcore, like your mom.

(On a serious note, yes, this game is easy to play but VERY hard to master - more so than many 360 games I've played and if that doesn't define "hardcore" I'm not sure what does).

Really wanna get this and came across a little money today...

any B&M deals for it? Anywhere giving 10 dollars off, or a 10 dollar gift card, or even 5 dollars off or something? Anything at all?

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Shaking the remote to tackle players, I have to say, is INGENIOUS.

I'm also getting a little better at slide-tackling. So clutch when it just gives you the ball, and sometimes just blatantly better than a tackle.[/quote]

Yeah, I think that's part of the problem, from a design standpoint. I find I have no use for "shake" tackling when I can get the ball simply by pressing the d-pad. Same deal with passing (A) versus tipping (Z). What's the point in simply kicking it away when you can maintain (or regain) control of the ball?

Shake tackling is much better used for when someone is getting pass happy.

What I love about the controls is you can pass then shoot without lifting a finger. Who would have thought one of my favorite uses of the wii-mote doesn't really involve motion, just convenience :D

I would call the wiimote flick a slide tackle, where the dpad is more of a steal. The slide tackle is faster and knocks the ball loose vs the dpad is slower but gives you possession.

bread's done
Back