Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Metagame, Friendcodes, Battling & Trading!

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Could someone please tell me how the fuck I'm supposed to catch a female Combee? I have been slathering trees for freakin days..[/quote]

It takes some work. But if you have beatin the game then just catch a ditto and breed it till you get a female one
It can take awhile to catch one though.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Could someone please tell me how the fuck I'm supposed to catch a female Combee? I have been slathering trees for freakin days..[/quote]
Save before every tree you shake. The pokemon that you get does not change, so if you get a male combee, just reset and press A on the tree until you get a female one.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Is your lineup still the same from your initial post? Infernape, Garchomp, Starmie, and Electivire (and now Togekiss)?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I'm looking for a sixth now. Any suggestions? Also, do you see any apparent holes I should fill?

[quote name='Moxio']Yeah. I'm looking for a sixth now. Any suggestions? Also, do you see any apparent holes I should fill?[/quote]You've actually got good type coverage so far with what you have. The only real Pokemon that I can think of that could obliterate your lineup fall into the legendary class (Deoxys, Mewtwo, etc.) and some in the uber-tier, so I think in normal battling you'd fare pretty well - depending on what moves/natures/abilities your team has. I'd say your best two assets are Togekiss and Starmie, since they can really hold their own in fights against tougher people. Having your Pokemon getting outclassed by Ubers or Legendaries in a fight is the only thing you should look out for.

That being said, there's a few options I can think of for you to go with your 6th spot. Personally, I'd throw a Scizor in because he's a beast with his Attack/Defense/lack of weaknesses and it's one of my favorites to have/use. You can stock one up with good physical Steel/Dark/Bug/Fighting moves for type coverage and you can laugh at anything other than Fire moves that hit it (to an extent). If you're not into Scizor, then I'd suggest tossing another Ground type into the mix: Swampert or Rhydon would be nice choices.

Sweet! Just got into the Ribbon Syndicate using my Empoleons 10 ribbons. Unfortunately, it's disappointing though. It has the happiness grooming spot similar to the one in GSC, and you can BUY, yes BUY more ribbons.

My teams becoming an annoyance team right now - in other news, especially Umbreon (Who is sweeping Battle Tower ATM)..........120 hours in BTW, I havent been playing lately

After my tests get done today, I'm going back full swing into Platinum, I've just been so swamped with school.

In related news, I'll be training a brand new team for the Pokemon Video Game Championships, they're coming to Dallas in May and I'll be attending. Anyone else going to give it a go?

No, and screw you because you get a goddamn free shiny Milotic.

Fuck that championship. LOL LET'S GO TO SAN FRANCISCO, NOT LOS ANGELES LOLOLOL. Fuck that noise.

[quote name='Nohbdy']No, and screw you because you get a goddamn free shiny Milotic.

fuck that championship. LOL LET'S GO TO SAN FRANCISCO, NOT LOS ANGELES LOLOLOL. fuck that noise.[/quote]

Damn do you gotta be such a jerk.

And SL4IN, there having one near me in Phoenix, I might check it out just for the free Shiny Milotic.

[quote name='Nohbdy']No, and screw you because you get a goddamn free shiny Milotic.

fuck that championship. LOL LET'S GO TO SAN FRANCISCO, NOT LOS ANGELES LOLOLOL. fuck that noise.[/quote]
Wow so hostile. you should be cheering him on...

[quote name='jeremiahkd']Save before every tree you shake. The pokemon that you get does not change, so if you get a male combee, just reset and press A on the tree until you get a female one.[/quote]

Thanks man, this worked perfect...got er last night. Holy crap all the work and I should have just reset from the start. Well I got my macho brace..but now I need to figure out what to do with it.

[quote name='Nohbdy']fuck that championship. LOL LET'S GO TO SAN FRANCISCO, NOT LOS ANGELES LOLOLOL. fuck that noise.[/QUOTE]
Isn't Nintendo's HQ in SF now? The hell did you expect?

While event pokemon are always nice, I'm not quite close enough to get to any of those locations. Either way, you can always make your own shiny Milotic in Emerald, or the DS games. ;)

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Thanks man, this worked perfect...got er last night. Holy crap all the work and I should have just reset from the start. Well I got my macho brace..but now I need to figure out what to do with it.[/quote]
No prob man.
congrats on your female combee.

oh yeah and
Secret Key Event coming to US and Canada and Puerto Rico. the secret key lets you obtain the other rotom forms

http://www.friendcodes.com/forums/p.../120015-secret-key-event-in-us-confirmed.html
http://www.pokemonplatinum.com/#/pokemon/rotom/

You can get it April 20 - may 12 over Nintendo Wi-Fi connection.
OR at participating Toys R Us Locations April 19 - April 26

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question to ask, although I feel like such a weakling player compared to you all. This morning, I wanted to get a Ponyta on the GTS. Someone asked for a male Zubat, so I went off to catch one. When I came back to the GTS, I pulled up that trade, and it wouldn't accept my Zubat. I logged out of GTS, back in, and it was still that way. So I went to the Zubat trades, found someone trading a male Zubat for another one, traded, went back, and it still didn't work.

Finally, I pulled up Ponyta trades again, and some new ones popped up, and I traded my Ponyta for theirs (wanted one with the bonus exp for being a traded Pokemon).

Any idea what caused this?

[quote name='Trakan']Your Zubat was the wrong level.[/quote]

I didn't see where they requested a certain level. Where do you see that? I thought it was right under the Pokemon type they requested...

[quote name='utopianmachine']I didn't see where they requested a certain level. Where do you see that? I thought it was right under the Pokemon type they requested...[/quote]

Same shit has happened to me. I don't know.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I feel better then.

Edit: Anyone have the guide for this game? Is it as cheap as the Amazon reviews make it sound? Do you recommend?[/QUOTE]

Get it on Amazon for 12 bucks shipped. I did and love it. Its over 500 pages and has a super pokedex with moves and all that. Even info on the new battle frontier. Its well worth it.

[quote name='adriley313']Get it on Amazon for 12 bucks shipped. I did and love it. Its over 500 pages and has a super pokedex with moves and all that. Even info on the new battle frontier. Its well worth it.[/quote]

I wish I'd gotten it when it was $12. It's up to $13.xx now. Amazon cycles their prices, it seems, so I'm expecting it to go back down again soon.

Anyone know if it's possible to transfer Pokerus from Ruby to Diamond? I know you can transfer pokemon, but not if they'll still have pokerus. If it works, I can trade something with pokerus for something good. BTW, this is the legit, non-gameshark/action replay version, I got it randomly in the game.

[quote name='SL4IN']After my tests get done today, I'm going back full swing into Platinum, I've just been so swamped with school.

In related news, I'll be training a brand new team for the Pokemon Video Game Championships, they're coming to Dallas in May and I'll be attending. Anyone else going to give it a go?[/quote]

Any info on the championship (I live near Dallas)? Is there anything to do besides compete (prizes, contests, etc.)?

I guess I should have said this earlier, but if anyone needs the Pokerus virus, both my Diamond and Japanese Platinum have tons of Pokemon that are infected with it.

@ dallascowboys: I haven't read anything about prizes being given away, but since it's a Nintendo sponsored event, I imagine there will be atleast something going on. If you register and show up, you get a free level 50 shiny Milotic, but there's no guarantee that you'll be playing as they said they're only taking 128 participants, all chosen randomly.

Hello all. Pokemon noobie here. Last game I completed/pwned was Pokemon Gold and I had a brief 20-30 hour stint with Ruby for GBA.

Just began playing Pokemon Platinum. I have about 7 hours into it and I would really appreciate some feedback.

1. How important is nature/personality? I see a lot of posts about it but with no substance.

2. Why are the battles SO HARD? I was leveling 5 pokemon equally.. but I had to drop it down to 3 so I could keep up with the battles (Pwnlup, Luxray, Staravia).

3. How do I make pokemon HAPPY? WTF.

These are the some questions off the top of my head because I have lecture in 10 minutes.. so responses would be really appreciated.

So much as changed since Gold.. :drool:

[quote name='mis0']Hello all. Pokemon noobie here. Last game I completed/pwned was Pokemon Gold and I had a brief 20-30 hour stint with Ruby for GBA.

Just began playing Pokemon Platinum. I have about 7 hours into it and I would really appreciate some feedback.

1. How important is nature/personality? I see a lot of posts about it but with no substance.

2. Why are the battles SO HARD? I was leveling 5 pokemon equally.. but I had to drop it down to 3 so I could keep up with the battles (Pwnlup, Luxray, Staravia).

These are the some questions off the top of my head because I have lecture in 10 minutes.. so responses would be really appreciated.

So much as changed since Gold.. :drool:[/quote]

1. If you're just playing through the game, they don't matter much. Natures will boost 1 stat and hinder 1 stat by 10% each. Different natures affect different stats.

2. Haha dunno... You do have to grind a little bit in certain places.

3. They gain happiness when you walk around with them, when they gain exp/levels, and when they eat berries. There are a few other actions too. They lose happiness when you feed them herbs, or let them faint. Happiness doesn't actually affect much, so you don't have to worry about it.

[quote name='mis0']Hello all. Pokemon noobie here. Last game I completed/pwned was Pokemon Gold and I had a brief 20-30 hour stint with Ruby for GBA.

So much as changed since Gold.. :drool:[/quote]
Welcome to the new world of Pokemon.

1. Natures to me don't matter, only when your in competitive battling or for pokemon contest.
2. When leveling up try leveling one pokemon at a time in the wild or using your Vs. Seeker. Also try giving the lowest Lv. pokemon a Exp. Share to help speed up the process.

3. There's a bunch of ways to raise happiness. Massages in one way. Also use things like Calcium, Carbos, Rare Candy to raise its happiness. Also let the pokemon hold the Soothe Bell to speed up the process. Also don't put the pokemon away, let it faint or get any status conditions.

If you need any more help just post here. We are all here to help.

Thanks for the responses!

How does my team look so far:

Prinplup lvl 25.
Luxio lvl 21.
Staravia lvl 21.
Rotom lvl 20.
Gastly lvl 17.
Buneary lvl 13 (for Cut/Rock Smash).

I just defeated the Eternia(sp?) gym leader.. took me like 10 tries with about 2 hours of killing shit in the forest..

[quote name='Moxio']Next up: Scizor[/quote]:cool:

I like using these moves with Scizor (at least if you use a Nature beneficial to its Attack stat):
Bullet Punch
X-Scissor
Night Slash
Brick Break/Superpower

With the Technician ability that you can get with Scyther/Scizor, Bullet Punch goes from 40 damage to 60 - making it one of the best priority moves in the game.

[quote name='mis0']Thanks for the responses!

How does my team look so far:

Prinplup lvl 25.
Luxio lvl 21.
Staravia lvl 21.
Rotom lvl 20.
Gastly lvl 17.
Buneary lvl 13 (for Cut/Rock Smash).

I just defeated the Eternia(sp?) gym leader.. took me like 10 tries with about 2 hours of killing shit in the forest..[/quote]

I dont know if i would have Gastly and Rotom on the same team. Maybe switch Rotom out for someone else. And only use Buneary when training and walking around. When you go to gyms or Team Galatic places switch him out for someone better.

Man, Starly/ravia/raptor was so good for me through the entirety of the main game. Now I just need to start EV training again, and my new teams'll be in good shape.

Skip Absol, and go for a Sneasel (and try to get someone to trade you his claw to evolve him). Weavile is way more useful post E4 than Absol is before or after.

Man. I wasn't enjoying this game at first because I was so lost and all the new pokemon were random as fuck (as opposed to the original 250ish) but now I can't seem to walk away from it. I've been spending more time with this game than I am with my own girlfriend.. ;)

[quote name='jeremiahkd']Wow so hostile. you should be cheering him on...[/quote]

I'm jealous too.

I did catch a shiny Swablu in Emerald a couple of weeks ago though. If I evolve it, it'll look like a Chocobo. :)

Edit: Apparently the World Tournament will be held in San Diego. But it's invite only....and I'm not remotely interested in registering.

maybe when everyone finishes their parties, we can have a tourney.

EDIT: sweet! its in SD! but not sweet, its invite only

I need your FC to post in the OP man!

If you're going to EV train in Platinum, here are listings of the trainers to do so with since trainers now have different Pokemon in Platinum.

So, I was about 75% through with collecting data on the teams of every trainer in the game before it occurred to me that someone else has probably already done it. But nonetheless, I've already collected my info anyway and might as well share it. So here's everything you should ever want to know about the enemy trainers you can have rematches with.

Note: These are the trainers' upgraded teams. Some trainers will not level up their teams this far until you've hit the triggers that will allow them to, such as beating the Elite 4, obtaining the National Dex, and catching Heatran. If you haven't done those things, then be sure to check how far the trainers will go on your own copy of the game, by having multiple matches with them to see how far their levels will go. It's better than before blindly jumping in with Pokemon you really want to train and risking the possibility of needing berries to reverse your mistake.

Short Attention Span Version (AKA where to go and who to fight)

• HP: Route 213. Tuber M Jared gives 6 EVs, and Tuber F Chelsea is right next to him and gives 3.
  • Attack: Route 203 for 8 EVs from Youngster Dallas if you don't mind switching out of Golem. Otherwise, go to Cycling Road for 6 Attack from Cyclist John.
  • Defense: Route 207 or 228. Hiker Kevin and PKMN Ranger F Krista each give 4 EVs.
  • Special Attack: Rainy Route 212's Scientist Shaun nets 5 EVs. If you don't mind needing a switch out of Lickilicky, Route 215's Ace Trainer F Maya grants 6 EVs.
  • Special Defense: Beauty Devon, Route 214, 6 EVs.
  • Speed: On the west side of Route 211, Ninja Boy Zach for 8.
  • Money: Route 212. Gentleman Jeremy or Socialite Reina for 24,400 each.

Long Attention Span Version (where to go, who to fight, where they are on the route, and what advantages or disadvantages they have relative to other trainers giving the same EVs; also lists more options than the above version)

HP

On the beaches of Route 213, Tuber M Jared and Tuber F Chelsea await to give 6 and 3 HP EVs respectively from teams of three Gastrodon and an Azumarill. Nothing else even comes close to having these two standing within range of each other, though since they're in the 50s for their level range, you'll need at least moderate power. Gastrodon takes Double Super Effective Damage (TM) from Grass, at least.

Alternatively, PKMN Trainer Cheryl sometimes shows up in the cafe in the Survival Area, though it's only a chance--and even if she does appear, you can only fight her once per day. Her team of Wobbuffet, Drifblim, Wailord, Hariyama, and Blissey is in the early 60s for levels and will give you 11 HP overall. Just make sure that whatever you lead with can beat her Wobbuffet. Blissey is particularly wonderful for experience, as well.

Attack

You have some options.

1) On Route 203, Youngster Dallas is the second trainer you'll spot if you're coming from Jubilife, and he builds up to a team of Luxray, Bibarel, Golem, and Staraptor, each level 50. He grants 8 Attack EVs, but avoid KOing Golem unless you want 3 Defense on the side. Having Golem around does make it easy if you're training a separate wall simultaneously, but if you're EV training via Exp. Share, then this trainer is not a viable choice to train purely the Attack stat.

2) On Cycling Road, Cyclist M John, the fifth cyclist down from Eterna, builds to a team of Farfetch'd, Staraptor, and Dodrio for a cool 6 Attack, all in the high level 50s. He's not quite up to par with Youngster Dallas for raw EVs, but at least one Pokemon can hit all three of his Pokemon for super-effective damage with the same attack.

3) Swimmer M Sheltin is out and about past the shores of Route 213, packing three Gyarados for 6 Attack. It's a bit annoying to Surf out to him and need Repels, but the Pokemon are only in their early 30s, unlike the above two options. And that 4x weakness to Electric might benefit you.

4) Another lover of the seas, Swimmer F Jessica is the first trainer of Route 220 coming from Sandgem, and she uses three Goldeen and a Seaking. That's 5 Attack EVs, which is less than all other options here, but her Pokemon are easier to beat than the rest as well, being as low-level as the Gyarados above but not having Intimidate. And because there are four of them, Pokemon holding a Power Bracer (adds another 4 Attack EVs on top of the EVs from whatever it is you KO) will actually get more from her than from others.

Defense

1) Hiker Kevin stands atop a mountain on Route 207 with a team of three Geodude and an Onix. He's tied for the game's best by giving 4 Defense, and Power Belt users will particularly love him. Low-level Pokemon with a Water or Grass attack can take him on their own, as all his Pokemon are below level 20.

2) In the post-game's Sandstorm-laden Route 228, PKMN Ranger F Krista has a Lairon and Marowak at level 57 each. She gives 4 Defense too, and the Sandstorm conditions negate most of the speed advantage that could have come from only having to fight two Pokemon instead of Hiker Kevin's four. However, if you need to level up while you EV train, she's a better choice.

Special Attack

1) On Route 204, Lass Samantha is the final trainer you'll spot coming from Jubilife--the southmost, in other words--and builds up to a team of Combee, Beautifly, and Roselia in the early 50s. Like Youngster Dallas, you can't use Exp. Share here because the Combee gives 1 Speed--unless you don't mind 1 Speed, naturally. Sweep the other two for 5 Special Attack.

2) Route 209's PKMN Breeder F Jennifer, who's the third trainer from Solaceon, carries an interesting team of Roserade, Clefable, Mr. Mime, and Espeon, hovering around level 50. Roserade and Espeon are the ones you want to fight for 5 Special Attack, while Clefable gives 3 HP and Mr. Mime gives 2 Special Defense. The main issue with fighting her is that only half her team is helpful to special attackers, so you're using time by switching before Clefable and Mr. Mime come out. And again, Exp. Share is out of the question here.

3) The rainy area of Route 212 needs you to pack Cut and bike north to Scientist Shaun, who's hiding behind a tree with his Magneton and Alakazam in the mid-50s. 5 Special Attack again, but unlike the above two, you can freely use Exp. Share. High levels for his Pokemon give good experience, too.

4) From Veilstone, Ace Trainer F Maya stands just at the entrance to Route 215 with a Roserade, Gardevoir, and Licklicky hovering around level 60 this time. Here you can get 6 Special Attack, which beats out others, but this is another case where Exp. Share is unviable, as Lickilicky gives 3 HP. She's the best here for experience points, though.

Special Defense

Beauty Devon on the east side of Route 214 carries three Wormadam at level 24 and gives 6 Special Defense. Nobody else approaches her.

...Still, if you're ever really, really bored of fighting her after a while then I guess you could try Lady Melissa in front of the Pokemon Mansion on Route 212. Avoid her Cherrim and its 2 Special Attack, but Hoppip and Bellossom combine for 4 Special Defense, and Lady Melissa does give over 18000 cash if you're carrying an Amulet Coin or Luck Incense. Her Pokemon are level 58, also.

Speed

1) On the north end of Route 205, near Eterna, Fisherman Andrew will rock your world with the devastating power that is six Magikarp ranging from levels 8 to 14. If you can manage to take them down, which tends to require that you be at least so high as level 4 (lest they PP stall you with their defenses), they'll give 6 Speed EVs total. Power Anklet users will truly love this guy, but if you don't have one then you should probably go elsewhere since it takes a while to knock out six Pokemon.

2) The southmost trainer of Cycling Road, Cyclist F Kayla, constructs an Electric mouse team with Plusle, Raichu, and Minun, each level 58. She grants 5 Speed, and overall there's little reason to train with her, but maybe she could have her uses if you're already around Cycling Road for Cyclist M John. Too bad they're not within the same VS Seeker range.

3) On the west end of Route 211, coming from Eterna, Ninja Boy Zach runs a level 51 bat team with two Crobat and a Golbat that must have been knocked out too much to love him and evolve. He gives 8 Speed, which is the game's best, and the only reason one might possibly hesitate to train with him is that you'll need Repels since he's out in grass. It's not so bad, though.

Money

On Route 212, Gentleman Jeremy and Socialite Reina stand around and are ready to give you charitable sums of 24,400 each (if you're holding an Amulet Coin or Luck Incense) for their level 61 Chatot and Roselia.

I don't recommend trying to simultaneously EV train and make money, since it just slows down each individual process, but if you want to, then (in addition to Lady Melissa as mentioned in the Special Defense section) Socialiate Reina's Roselia gives 2 Special Attack, and Rich Boy Trey at the west end of Route 222 gives 3 Attack and almost 20,000 in cash with his level 61 Luxray.

All credit goes to Jiggy over at NeoGAF.

Nice! I'll make sure to keep most of this in mind. I'll post my FC later since I don't have a viable team for Platinum yet, but if you still have my Pearl FC, then go ahead and use that, I suppose.

Im playing through Emerald right now (taking my time since Ive never played through it before), and Im 18 hours in. I just beat Winona and my team is (not counting HM slaves):

Grasser (Sceptile) level 44
-Slam
-Cut (Will delete when Im at Lilycove)
-Absorb (will be replaced replaced, unsure with what)
-Leaf Blade

Azumarill level 46
-Double Edge (Love this move)
-Defense Curl
-Ice Beam
-Surf

Flygon level 46
-Crunch
-Dig (soon to be EQ)
-Faint Attack (Soon to be Fly, which will eventually become Flamethrower)
-Dragonbreath (soon to be Dragon Claw)

I THINK Im in ok shape right now, but I need something to counter the Ice E4 member to feel totally safe, Im not sure Double Edge will get me through the match, allthough it could. Any tips?

I was actually wondering if one of the fine people in the thread could help with my construction of Version 3 of my Rain Dance team. Version 2 is alright, but I just wanted to upgrade for Platinum. Suggestions? Critiques?

Kingdra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Pulse

Autozone (Magnezone) @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid nature
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave

Luda (Ludicolo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Bold nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance

Note: I struggled between Giga Drain and Energy Ball for the longest time, but ended up sticking with Drain. The longevity at the time was helping me out, but for the next incarnation, I think I'd probably side with EB.

Dragonite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Thunderpunch

Swampert @ Quick Claw
Ability: Torrent
Quiet Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam