Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, if you can't get Grass Simulator, don't panic!

In my 45 minute game jam last night, I made a Grass Simulator Simulator!

Now you can get all the excitement of playing as a person playing Grass Simulator without being a person playing Grass Simulator!

IT HAS THE SAME GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D: D: D:D:D:D D:D: D: D:D :D :D D: D:D :D :D D: D: D: D

Download for PC here.

If you want it for Mac or Linux, just let me know. It will take me 2 minutes to port it.

Guys, if you can't get Grass Simulator, don't panic!

In my 45 minute game jam last night, I made a Grass Simulator Simulator!

Now you can get all the excitement of playing as a person playing grass simulator without being a person playing Grass Simulator!

IT HAS THE SAME GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D: D: D:D:D:D D:D: D: D:D :D :D D: D:D :D :D D: D: D: D

Download for PC here.

If you want it for Mac or Linux, just let me know. It will take me 2 minutes to port it.
no steam, no buy

They have invites locked down too.
"THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS LARRY WHEN YOU fuck A STRANGER IN THE GRASS!"

giphy.gif

OMG @ you listing two 970's. Very nice.

Even one of those would've been nice.

My bet would be to go w/ more RAM for a quick and cheap band-aid. NewEgg has some Corsair RAM on sale cheap, if you check their latest e-mail w/ a voucher code. Not sure if it'll go w/ your mobo + current RAM - you'd have to look into that (Google is your friend). Me, couldn't resist it - so I'm going to be upgrading to 16 GB of RAM. That should take a little bit of pressure, strain + calculations off your i5.

Next up for me probably will looking for a new vid-card - probably, some kind of GF 970. Still waiting for a better price (than what's out there); figuring out which brand I should go with (MSI, EVGA, etc) for who has the better card + cooling design on it; and not sure who has the best warranty of those brands.

A lot of my recent PC games at 1080p settings, I've tried are running all over the place on my rig: i7 950, 1 GB VRAM GF GTX 560 Ti, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit - i.e. Watch Dogs; X Rebirth; and The Evil Within DEMO. I'm getting tired of performance being all over the place on these newer games at 1080p.
Oh man was going to wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday but those are some great prices at Newegg. After your suggestion I read some forums and comments and some people think 16gb of memory will help SLI so that might be a easy upgrade.

You're limited unless you want to move up to Haswell. That's my predicament as well. My only suggestion would be to bump the CPU to a 3770K. That would give you a little more headroom especially for OC'ing and it's still an Ivy Bridge CPU package. The most important piece you left out. What PSU are you using to drive all that stuff?
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Trying to wait it out for the next Intel processor because all the reviews and comments say that Ivy and Haswell (Unless I find a cheap price) is not a big jump from my Sandy and probably will pick up the i5 (whatever they call it) in the next gen because they usually are great for price/performance ratio. I don't OC at all (Just not for me) and PSU is a Corsair TX850.[/SIZE]

Oh man was going to wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday but those are some great prices at Newegg. After your suggestion I read some forums and comments and some people think 16gb of memory will help SLI so that might be a easy upgrade.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Trying to wait it out for the next Intel processor because all the reviews and comments say that Ivy and Haswell (Unless I find a cheap price) is not a big jump from my Sandy and probably will pick up the i5 (whatever they call it) in the next gen because they usually are great for price/performance ratio. I don't OC at all (Just not for me) and PSU is a Corsair TX850.[/SIZE]
After you get your CPU upgraded, go for a GSYNC display. It's hands down the best gaming tech I've seen in 10 years, easy. I've had my ROG Swift for only a few months and it's already the most important part of my PC now.

After you get your CPU upgraded, go for a GSYNC display. It's hands down the best gaming tech I've seen in 10 years, easy. I've had my ROG Swift for only a few months and it's already the most important part of my PC now.
I think once those come in 23/24 inch for three way it would be perfect but that ROG Swift is a beast and wouldn't mind swapping out that for my current monitors. Might have to see if any one bites on Craiglist for my old cards and monitors.

I think once those come in 23/24 inch for three way it would be perfect but that ROG Swift is a beast and wouldn't mind swapping out that for my current monitors. Might have to see if any one bites on Craiglist for my old cards and monitors.
You could always get the Asus VG248QE and buy the GSYNC module and DIY it. Also, there's an AOC g2460Pg that's 24" and has GSYNC but I haven't seen much info about it.

You could always get the Asus VG248QE and buy the GSYNC module and DIY it. Also, there's an AOC g2460Pg that's 24" and has GSYNC but I haven't seen much info about it.
I have the VG248QE and there are a couple annoying issues when the G-SYNC DIY kit is installed. You lose all other connectors except DisplayPort and the monitor will no longer have sound. Also when the monitor goes to sleep, the LED stays blue instead of turning amber like it does pre-mod. There are also occasions during sleep where you will get a signal not detected box that appears in the center of the monitor. But it is an easy fix by hitting a menu button on the monitor. Again these are annoyances but just giving the information for any potential buyers.

That being said, G-SYNC is amazing for not having to use VSync since it cause mouse input lag. Also ULMB is great for competitive FPS gaming to drastically decrease motion blur for better shooting accuracy. G-SYNC and ULMB cannot be used together so I generally keep G-SYNC on instead.

I have the VG248QE and there are a couple annoying issues when the G-SYNC DIY kit is installed. You lose all other connectors except DisplayPort and the monitor will no longer have sound. Also when the monitor goes to sleep, the LED stays blue instead of turning amber like it does pre-mod. There are also occasions during sleep where you will get a signal not detected box that appears in the center of the monitor. But it is an easy fix by hitting a menu button on the monitor. Again these are annoyances but just giving the information for any potential buyers.

That being said, G-SYNC is amazing for not having to use VSync since it cause mouse input lag. Also ULMB is great for competitive FPS gaming to drastically decrease motion blur for better shooting accuracy. G-SYNC and ULMB cannot be used together so I generally keep G-SYNC on instead.
Great info on the VG248QE, I didn't bother to read much about since I had my heart set on the Swift. I agree ULMB is fantastic too, I use it on a lot of older games that have very high frame rates. I'm going to pick up one of those silly 3d vision kits and see the display does at 3D gaming. I don't have high hopes but I'm curious how the games look.

Great info on the VG248QE, I didn't bother to read much about since I had my heart set on the Swift. I agree ULMB is fantastic too, I use it on a lot of older games that have very high frame rates. I'm going to pick up one of those silly 3d vision kits and see the display does at 3D gaming. I don't have high hopes but I'm curious how the games look.
This is a blog I use to read about Nvidia 3D when I was thinking about getting back in the day: http://3dvision-blog.com/ He talks about the tech and fixes for games.

If you've got the $ to burn....

ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift PG278Q 27" WQHD G-Sync LED Monitor
$800 At Microcenter
Micro Center is actually a wise choice too, if you have one local. While I didn't have any dead pixels or issues, some people did online and it's a PITA to send back your brand new toy and wait for a new one from e-retailer. I held out for a good month before I finally found one in stock at a local store. So much easier to do an in-store return/exchange.

Since we're talking hardware, I've gone the G3258 route for my new build on a Z97 motherboard. Hoping that it'll last 6-12 months to the point where I can invest in a proper CPU.

Pairing it with a GTX 970 will be overkill but since Santa's buying me it, I figure it's a case of GoHardOrGoHome.

Since we're talking hardware, I've gone the G3258 route for my new build on a Z97 motherboard. Hoping that it'll last 6-12 months to the point where I can invest in a proper CPU.

Pairing it with a GTX 970 will be overkill but since Santa's buying me it, I figure it's a case of GoHardOrGoHome.
That is why I like asking about hardware because I never heard of that processor and after some studying it can be overclock to 4.3 Ghz and is a great upgrade for anything below a Sandy processor and only $70 bucks.

That is why I like asking about hardware because I never heard of that processor and after some studying it can be overclock to 4.3 Ghz and is a great upgrade for anything below a Sandy processor and only $70 bucks.
There's been several reviews on it and, for the most part, it handles pretty well and doesn't bottleneck the GPU on most games (more recent games seem to benefit from multiple cores). It's basically two cores running superfast when overclocked. Despite everything that more advanced CPUs offer, brute power is still nothing to be sniffed at.

Saving £120 on the CPU has allowed me to grab a CPU cooler, case, and the motherboard. Budget budget budget.

G3258 will bottle neck that GPU. Save your money and hold out for next June release of Intel chip

G3258 will bottle neck that GPU. Save your money and hold out for next June release of Intel chip
It will, but I also won't have cash for a decent CPU until next June anyhow. A £40 G3258 is a decent stopgap until then.

*points to name of the website*

Edit: I'm willing to bet you one whole dollar - yes, four quarters! - that we don't see Broadwell until August/September 2015.

A GTX 960 would be ideal but it looks like we won't see those until Feb/March and since I'm not paying for the card I can afford to be a bit hasty.

It will, but I also won't have cash for a decent CPU until next June anyhow. A £40 G3258 is a decent stopgap until then.

*points to name of the website*

Edit: I'm willing to bet you one whole dollar - yes, four quarters! - that we don't see Broadwell until August/September 2015.

A GTX 960 would be ideal but it looks like we won't see those until Feb/March and since I'm not paying for the card I can afford to be a bit hasty.
well, if ur CPU is broken then ya go for G3258. If not, hold out. We are CAG, just like u said

Dragon Age: Inquisition is apparently also using that Denuvo DRM which is disappointing. You would think it requiring Origin would be enough without adding something else.

Dragon Age: Inquisition sales have been banned in India.

http://help.ea.com/in/article/dragon-age-inquisition-not-available-in-india/

Someone contacted Origin and apparently it's because of Homosexuality in-game. Yea, you heard it right. fucking hell....

LoL, now I want to get the game to check that in-game relationship xD.
from what I read so far, there only 1 hetero relationship option in that game. there are 4 homo.. which is disappointing. they should have balance it out so that we have an equal number of relationship option

I have both the version 1 and 2 of the 3D Vision kits and 2 is a good improvement but far from perfect. If you like 3D movies, I think gaming looks much better in 3D. The glasses can be really uncomfortable after awhile if you use headphones which is the biggest reason for me not using the glasses all the time. 3D is not being optimized in games as much anymore either. If you do get 3D Vision, I would recommend visiting the Helix mod site as it has a lot of 3D fixes for various games.

Bullcrap - yes, DRM does matter.

If a game never gets its DRM removed officially by the dev's/pub or unofficially by someone - then we're screwed.

If a game never gets a re-release w/out DRM on place like GOG - then we're screwed.

Imagine if Riddick: Dark Athena never got a DRM-FREE version on GOG.

Sometimes, DRM has been nasty and has ruined people's systems, optical drives + caused OS stability issues, especially when they have drivers - i.e. see old retail versions of StarForce.

Also, DRM like StarForce was OS-specific - so for a while, when new OS's like Vista came out, any games laced with their DRM could not run your retail games like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory + Beyond Divinity. Either you had to hope StarForce updated their DRM for newer OS's (which they later did - so their DRM-laced games could work on Vista), someone unofficially removed it; ran the game on another PC; dual-booted the older OS it worked on onto your PC; or hoped a game company at least officially removed the DRM-check (like Larian did w/ Beyond Divinity).

If you can't access your game b/c it has phone-home checks or wants activation b/c servers go offline or the DRM isn't always reliable - you're screwed. See what was happening to player who bought X3: Terran Conflict during X-Mas a few years back on Steam; and those who bought Tages-laced DRM from Amazon DVG when Risen 1 was on sale. Luckily, those games got their DRM removed b/c of issues like this - or else gamers would've been likely wanting refunds galore b/c they purchased a non-working product.

The only good thing about DRM systems like Origin + Steam when they're used alone is they really don't have other malicious + preventive protection crap going on that can cause issues. Origin + Steam are more logical: they're account-based and as long as you can get into your account online every now and again, you don't really have to worry really about any of the other garbage that Securom, Tages, StarForce, and other DRM's have done to gamers and their system b/c those shoddy DRM's try all kinds of other nonsense that can cause problems to your system or cause your legit-owned game to not work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back