Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not into console-gaming currently.

I'm a PC gamer - and will very likely remain so, for life.
but... u won't be able to experience the grandeur of Red Dead Redemption & its captivating multiplayer modes.. are you sure you can live with yourself knowing that you miss out on it?

Bullcrap - yes, DRM does matter.

If a game never gets its DRM removed officially by the dev's/pub or unofficially by someone - then we're screwed.

If a game never gets a re-release w/out DRM on place like GOG - then we're screwed.
Imagine if Riddick: Dark Athena never got a DRM-FREE version on GOG.

Sometimes, DRM has been nasty and has ruined people's systems, optical drives + caused OS stability issues, especially when they have drivers - i.e. see old retail versions of StarForce.

Also, DRM like StarForce was OS-specific - so for a while, when new OS's like Vista came out, any games laced with their DRM could not run your retail games like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory + Beyond Divinity. Either you had to hope StarForce updated their DRM for newer OS's (which they later did - so their DRM-laced games could work on Vista), someone unofficially removed it; ran the game on another PC; dual-booted the older OS it worked on onto your PC; or hoped a game company at least officially removed the DRM-check (like Larian did w/ Beyond Divinity).

If you can't access your game b/c it has phone-home checks or wants activation b/c servers go offline or the DRM isn't always reliable - you're screwed. See what was happening to player who bought X3: Terran Conflict during X-Mas a few years back on Steam; and those who bought Tages-laced DRM from Amazon DVG when Risen 1 was on sale. Luckily, those games got their DRM removed b/c of issues like this - or else gamers would've been likely wanting refunds galore b/c they purchased a non-working product.

The only good thing about DRM systems like Origin + Steam when they're used alone is they really don't have other malicious + preventive protection crap going on that can cause issues. Origin + Steam are more logical: they're account-based and as long as you can get into your account online every now and again, you don't really have to worry really about any of the other garbage that Securom, Tages, StarForce, and other DRM's have done to gamers and their system b/c those shoddy DRM's try all kinds of other nonsense that can cause problems to your system or cause your legit-owned game to not work properly.
Yawn

Don't like my posts?

Don't read 'em.

Scroll your mouse down and pass them.
i tried reading it and then i tried scrolling past it but it was so long i got bored scrolling halfway through

hence the yawn

but flow makes a good point...what games that you currently own can you not play due to the DRM?

im anxiously waiting

i tried reading it and then i tried scrolling past it but it was so long i got bored scrolling halfway through

hence the yawn

but flow makes a good point...what games that you currently own can you not play due to the DRM?

im anxiously waiting
Key word = currently.

I'm not playing anything old currently using any older DRM's set or using inactive gameplay or activation servers.

I'm only currently playing X Rebirth - which uses modern-day Steam CEG.

If you ask me about games I've had trouble activating b/c of DRM in the past - sure, where to begin?

Securom + Tages have been a pain in the neck, trying to get certain games activated. Alone in the Dark (Eden Games' Reboot) [retail], Borderlands [retail], Bioshock 1 [retail], The Precursors [Gamersgate], Riddick: Dark Athena [retail] are a few - but, eventually, I was able to get them activated after retries. One of the reasons I do try to activate my games ASAP and don't uninstall games w/ DRM-laced versions - that's b/c you never know when the activation servers will go kaput.

I actually have now Borderlands: GOTY, Bioshock on Steam (uses only Steam there) - so for now, I'm good w/ those. I also have Riddick: Dark Athena from GOG (DRM-FREE) - so, I won't have to worry about any sort of DRM issues w/ the GOG version. I won't have to worry about any problems arising from Two Worlds 2's DRM anymore from Retail or Gamersgate, since I also have those on GOG.

Diablo 2 [base game from retail] did work, though Diablo 2: LoD [expansion from retail] never worked for me properly b/c of its DRM, until they actually finally removed the DRM-check in a patch.

That's just tipping the iceberg here.

Key word = currently.

I'm not playing anything old currently using any older DRM's set or using inactive gameplay or activation servers.

I'm only currently playing X Rebirth - which uses modern-day Steam CEG.

If you ask me about games I've had trouble activating b/c of DRM in the past - sure, where to begin?

Securom + Tages have been a pain in the neck, trying to get certain games activated. Alone in the Dark (Eden Games' Reboot) [retail], Borderlands [retail], Bioshock 1 [retail], The Precursors [Gamersgate], Riddick: Dark Athena [retail] are a few - but, eventually, I was able to get them activated after retries. One of the reasons I do try to activate my games ASAP and don't uninstall games w/ DRM-laced versions - that's b/c you never know when the activation servers will go kaput.

I actually have now Borderlands: GOTY, Bioshock on Steam (uses only Steam there) - so for now, I'm good w/ those. I also have Riddick: Dark Athena from GOG (DRM-FREE) - so, I won't have to worry about any sort of DRM issues w/ the GOG version.

Diablo 2 [base game from retail] did work, though Diablo 2: LoD [expansion from retail] never worked for me properly b/c of its DRM, until they actually finally removed the DRM-check in a patch.

That's just tipping the iceberg here.
I said currently own..not playing... and Diablo 2 was fixed...sooooooooooooo

so I'll ask again...what games do you own no longer work because of DRM.

I tried playing Hide the Sausage with my girlfriend, but she said she had a headache. Vagina Rights Management keeps me from playing again.
cSywjfb.jpg

I said currently own..not playing... and Diablo 2 was fixed...sooooooooooooo

so I'll ask again...what games do you own no longer work because of DRM.
You got your answer, if you actually read my post:

So, when I feel like actually breaking something old out that has some kind of annoying-DRM (like Tages, SafeDisc, Securom, StarForce, etc), testing it on a modern system, and it don't work - I'll let you know.

My point was this: while many DRM's might work on older systems and configurations, they might not work on modern system. And it has happened before - there is history of this stuff. Look at StarForce, for example.

This is why I did say: IMHO, DRM does matter.

You got your answer, if you actually read my post:

So, when I feel like actually breaking something old out that has some kind of annoying-DRM, testing it on a modern system, and it don't work - I'll let you know.

My point was this: while many DRM's might work on older systems and configurations, they might not work on modern system. And it has happened before - there is history of this stuff. Look at StarForce, for example.

This is why I did say: IMHO, DRM does matter.
Oh i read it...i just figured the way you thump your chest about DRM you'd have at least 1 game that didnt work

but you dont...so thats the answer...you have as many games as I do that don't work due to DRM... 0

I think going forward, people are more likely to find the OS/drivers/hardware oddities to be the source of issues when trying to play older games.

so how is X Rebirth? still a broken piece of crap or more like a "polished" piece of crap? (not a snarky comment, just want ur honest opinion b/c the developer hyped the game so much at release)
Did you read my manifesto on it that I wrote yesterday?

Link:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TGAEC/discussions/0/617319460886900242/

For the short-version:

TL/DR:
Too early for a verdict; and too much of a mess for me to decide on if the pro's outweigh the con's.

Did you read my manifesto on it that I wrote yesterday?

Link:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TGAEC/discussions/0/617319460886900242/

For the short-version:

TL/DR:
Too early for a verdict; and too much of a mess for me to decide on if the pro's outweigh the con's.
since when did you cop out like that? hahahaha it's not "too early for a verdict".. it's more like "so far, everything I tried was broken & messy and I don't know if I'd just cut my loss & invest my time in better game"

but thanks for ur opinion. I will skip it.

since when did you cop out like that? hahahaha it's not "too early for a verdict".. it's more like "so far, everything I tried was broken & messy and I don't know if I'd just cut my loss & invest my time in better game"

but thanks for ur opinion. I will skip it.
Here you go - another long-winded MysterD post today, since you keep asking loaded questions or making statements that get me going...

X games are complex + ridiculously huge. You don't just play a game like Morrowind + Skyrim - and in a few hours have a verdict, when you've barely scratched the damn surface. Too much to do and too big to decide, that early on. More so than anything - even despite technical issues, I still keep coming back to it. The X game series is like that - you're in it for the long haul; and then you have an opinion...just like Elder Scrolls games + TDU2.

X series aren't streamlined space-sims like Freelancer, where in a few hours - you kind of have a grasp on how everything works, how it goes; and you have a feel for how the gameplay goes; realize there's actually a good story, plot, characters, and dialogue. In the X series, you can do a ton more than in say Freelancer - you could just be a trader in space; you could build your own stations; you could freelance to take down pirates in space; build your own team of ship; etc etc. Basically, the galaxy is your oyster - the X games are way more of a sandbox. A lot out of what you get out of the EgoSoft X games is what you're putting into them, since there's tons + tons of content here.

I haven't cut my losses b/c the game's still teaching me how to do things + b/c the open-world action in this X game is finally fantastic. X3 games are not normally as action-packed as this, as visceral as this, in the combat department - even when you're just going around in space, just flying and exploring from sector-to-sector. Simply put - combat has never been this good in a X game before.

The other thing is - EgoSoft is still working on things. It's not like EgoSoft is throwing in the towel here - and are done w/ patching this game. And even if they do - who knows, it's on Steam WorkShop, so mods could possibly fix the game. This game probably should've been on Early Access, back when it came out. Even now - it probably should still be in Early Access b/c of its technical issues. So, even if I cut my losses and get away from it, namely b/c of technical issues - them patching and fixing things can draw me right back in. That's how compelling the open-world action + gameplay is here to me, when compared to previous X games.

Since we're on the subject of X, I have an Egosoft Humble Weekly sitting around unredeemed somewhere.  Any suggestions on getting started with the series? Honestly it's probably not possible for me to get into this sort of thing anymore, since if a game doesn't catch my interest in the first hour (or ten minutes, depending on genre) I just don't have the patience to deal with the learning curve.  But I love sci-fi and strategy, and it sounds like the sort of thing a younger me would have had a lot of fun with.

Since we're on the subject of X, I have an Egosoft Humble Weekly sitting around unredeemed somewhere. Any suggestions on getting started with the series? Honestly it's probably not possible for me to get into this sort of thing anymore, since if a game doesn't catch my interest in the first hour (or ten minutes, depending on genre) I just don't have the patience to deal with the learning curve. But I love sci-fi and strategy, and it sounds like the sort of thing a younger me would have had a lot of fun with.
I've mostly played Terran Conflict, myself, with just a few minutes of X1 thrown in, but from what I've heard of the series, the best of the bunch (possibly excepting X Rebirth, since I'm sure that's still an evolving experience) are Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude (the two latest iterations of X3). The X games are reportedly all very samey (again, possibly excepting X Rebirth), with later iterations improving upon previous ones. TC and AP are supposed to have, between them, the most content and the best gameplay, so unless you care about the story (and I've never heard anybody other than the people who write the promotional material talk about the story in an X game), those seem like the standards of the X experience right now.

Since we're on the subject of X, I have an Egosoft Humble Weekly sitting around unredeemed somewhere. Any suggestions on getting started with the series? Honestly it's probably not possible for me to get into this sort of thing anymore, since if a game doesn't catch my interest in the first hour (or ten minutes, depending on genre) I just don't have the patience to deal with the learning curve. But I love sci-fi and strategy, and it sounds like the sort of thing a younger me would have had a lot of fun with.
i am on the same boat here. Which game in the series is noob-friendly? some ppl told me to try the X3 series and ignore the previous one

If a game never gets its DRM removed officially by the dev's/pub or unofficially by someone - then we're screwed.

If a game never gets a re-release w/out DRM on place like GOG - then we're screwed.

Sometimes, DRM has been nasty and has ruined people's systems, optical drives + caused OS stability issues, especially when they have drivers - i.e. see old retail versions of StarForce.

Also, DRM like StarForce was OS-specific - so for a while, when new OS's like Vista came out, any games laced with their DRM could not run your retail games like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory + Beyond Divinity. Either you had to hope StarForce updated their DRM for newer OS's (which they later did - so their DRM-laced games could work on Vista), someone unofficially removed it; ran the game on another PC; dual-booted the older OS it worked on onto your PC; or hoped a game company at least officially removed the DRM-check (like Larian did w/ Beyond Divinity).

If you can't access your game b/c it has phone-home checks or wants activation b/c servers go offline or the DRM isn't always reliable - you're screwed. See what was happening to player who bought X3: Terran Conflict during X-Mas a few years back on Steam; and those who bought Tages-laced DRM from Amazon DVG when Risen 1 was on sale. Luckily, those games got their DRM removed b/c of issues like this - or else gamers would've been likely wanting refunds galore b/c they purchased a non-working product.

The only good thing about DRM systems like Origin + Steam when they're used alone is they really don't have other malicious + preventive protection crap going on that can cause issues. Origin + Steam are more logical: they're account-based and as long as you can get into your account online every now and again, you don't really have to worry really about any of the other garbage that Securom, Tages, StarForce, and other DRM's have done to gamers and their system b/c those shoddy DRM's try all kinds of other nonsense that can cause problems to your system or cause your legit-owned game to not work properly.
mysterd wants orign on top of steam drm or steam drm on top of origin drm wtf ??#?! He turn to dark side he paid by ea

u bad boy i know give it to me hehe u get paid in u know um.. whips

mysterd wants orign on top of steam drm or steam drm on top of origin drm wtf ??#?! He turn to dark side he paid by ea

u bad boy i know give it to me hehe u get paid in u know um.. whips

I'd recommend you start w/ X3: Terran Conflict (X3:TC).

The menu's and everything in X3:TC are so much improved of Reunion - I don't know where to begin. It's a better starting point for noobs, IMHO. Much more streamlined, as well.

There always will probably be a very steep learning curve to the X games b/c it's such a ridiculous sandbox w/ so much to do, but X3:TC is your best bet.

The way I'm going here w/ X Rebirth - I don't know if I can recommend it, until they finally work on the technical issues here. I really am starting to get pissed w/ performance issues now ever getting much worse, since I'm now entering more populated areas - whether out in space flying or inside of a station. X Rebirth does so far feels the most noob-friendly b/c its Campaign feels like a tutorial that is so straight-forward manner (which the X series has always bloody needed) - but technical issues + performance issues in this game are a disaster + a crime. I'm some 12 hours into this - and this game still needs work, on the performance + technical end.

Thanks for the input, guys. Any tips on getting started with Terran Conflict?
That's a good question. I just picked some stuff at random in the beginning, did like, two story missions, and then started doing stuff at random.

I don't know if I've actually gotten anywhere.

Thanks for the input, guys. Any tips on getting started with Terran Conflict?
Start w/ a character that has a Campaign.

Do some campaign stuff, do some side-quests, explore the game-world.

If you're a noob to the series: don't start w/ any Free Form Modes. You're better off trying that once you have learned the game + spent some good # of hours w/ it. Save that for when you do a 2nd playthrough/character.

X3:R to X3:TC to X3:AP really didn't change much in terms of gameplay, mechanics, and that stuff. They felt like base-game (X3:R) to a [big] stand-alone expansion (X3:TC) to DLC (X3:AP). The big improvements were improved UI + some new gameplay features, missions, areas, etc.

Going from any X3 game to X Rebirth - you're gonna have to re-teach yourself how to play these games. Start w/ a Campaign here, no matter what - since the campaign teaches you a lot. A lot of changes from X3 series to X Rebirth. Though, you might not wanna touch Rebirth until technical + performance issues get stormed-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back