XBLA - Bionic Commando Rearmed - 800pts - New Challenge Rooms w/Codes

I think I'm going to have to play this with an arcade stick. Too much frustration in trying to convince the 360 controller that I actually want the grappling arm to shoot out in the direction I'm holding. It's bad enough that there is a learning curve on the control scheme and the game wants you to be precise in parts.

I love this game. It has this classic old school feel that is refreshing. This could possibly end up as my second favorite XBLA game (behind Geo Wars 2).

I bought it right when it came out and so far it's awesome, definitely brings back memories of playing the NES version when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I've only gotten through the first couple levels, looking to go farther today.

bought it right away and love it. Only have 30minutes invested mostly doing the training levels but I can't wait to get home and play more BC

Alright the game is not as hard to control anymore. I guess I was playing wrong. I went through the challenge room tutorial and it made things a bit easier. I was trying to shoot the arm diagonally by holding the stick diagonally but now I realize that shooting diagonally is the default, so you only have to press B WITHOUT any input from the stick.

There was this high up spot in area 00 that took forever to get to and now I fucked up my save game. Ergh. There is a simple puzzle but it required two people so I turned on a second controller and unlocked
friendly fire...what a lame reward!
. Well once I got my reward I wanted to go back to playing single player but I can't I have to start over since it converted my save to a co-op save. Ugh.

Looking forward to checking out the demo (maybe later tonight). Even if I love it I'll hold off on buying it for a while until I have time to play it.

[quote name='SAB-CA']That's a funny thing about a game like this, and Megaman 9, looking at it's achievements. The secrets and difficult areas of this game are made as a response to the crazy, pointless actions that fans of the old games used to do. Having a blind jump lead to something is like a reward to all the people who want to truly do all they can in the stages. You run into things at points that you previously imagined "there should be something THERE!". Well, now, there is!

I dunno if I'd like to see an actual map added to the game, not initially, anyway. The ridiculous feel of "Man, this place is stupid big!" is one of those feelings I loved in the NES game. I always found it impressive. I wouldn't mind if the developers met the idea half way, though. Maybe giving a stage preview at the start of the stage, or letting you look over the maps in a viewer, after completing them.

Let me take that time to mention that I love the games Database. Every game needs these! It's fun, like the developers notes they used to have in the back of Working Designs games; Extra info that helps one get that much more into the game, and lets you see the true depth behind the work that went into it.[/QUOTE]

Either of those options would be great. I just want some way to look at a complete level without having to sacrifice lives and hoping there's a ledge I land on, or there's a ledge I can quickly grapple onto.

Just to put it out there, this game is 100x better if you have someone to play co-op with. I finally went out and bought a second controller, and my brother and I have spent over 2 hours with it so far. Great fun.

Gave the demo a whirl. I enjoyed it, but not enough to make me buy it right away. The challenge levels are pretty tough. Never did make it through the second one in the demo (roundabout I think it was called).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Due to control issues and screen tearing as well as an unknown secret, I'll be getting this on PSN tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Screen Tearing is only an issue on the first level 00.

[quote name='ananag112']Screen Tearing is only an issue on the first level 00.[/quote]'

I have noticed it on every level so far but it is not a nuisance.

The game seemed somewhat difficult. I had problems doing the diagonal reach. I don't know if it's the controller or just me? I will probably download the full game at some point. I am going to try to pick up some cheap points at target so I can download lots of xbla games that I have been missing out on...this included.

I found the controls unresponsive in the demo and that ruined it for me. Oh well I'm not going to complain with so many other great games out there like Ikaruga and Rez.

[quote name='ivanctorres']The game seemed somewhat difficult. I had problems doing the diagonal reach. I don't know if it's the controller or just me? I will probably download the full game at some point. I am going to try to pick up some cheap points at target so I can download lots of xbla games that I have been missing out on...this included.[/quote]

I had problems with diagonal reach until I realized that that was his default shooting position. Press B without any directional input and Spencer will shoot diagonally.

not trying to fan a flame but comparing the two versions i did find this:

I just found one thing that makes the PS3 (and probably the PC) version of BCR a little better than the 360 version... the load times are way shorter than the 360 one.

The controls do kinda suck. There's a learning curve, which in itself in pretty bad that a game like this would require a learning curve on directional controls. I found it odd that there were literally tutorials on how to use the bionic arm. It would be like having a jumping tutorial in Super Mario Bros. I can live with it, but man it just makes Prince of Persia shine more on XBLA because the controls are so much better than they were before.

Area 6 is the gayest thing I've ever encountered...

I take that back. Area 6 only has 1 frustratingly difficult part. Area 3 with the quicksand...gg.

I take that back too. Area 3 and the leaps of faith with spikes right next to the ledge you hopefully land on...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']not trying to fan a flame but comparing the two versions i did find this:

I just found one thing that makes the PS3 (and probably the PC) version of BCR a little better than the 360 version... the load times are way shorter than the 360 one.[/quote]

That's the first thing I noticed (the noticeably long load times).

All you guys complaining about the controls. I find that to be hilarious. The controls are dead-on.

This is how Bionic Commando is supposed to play. You can liken it to pressing up and forward to climb stairs in Castlevania or Mario constantly sliding around. That's just how this game works. Silly quirks.

Anyway, game is excellent and has far surpassed my expectations especially with co-op mode. If you are playing this alone dare I say you aren't even playing the real game.

[quote name='FurryCurry']All you guys complaining about the controls. I find that to be hilarious. The controls are dead-on.

This is how Bionic Commando is supposed to play. You can liken it to pressing up and forward to climb stairs in Castlevania or Mario constantly sliding around. That's just how this game works. Silly quirks.

Anyway, game is excellent and has far surpassed my expectations especially with co-op mode. If you are playing this alone dare I say you aren't even playing the real game.[/QUOTE]

You say this is how Bionic Commando is supposed to play in terms of controls, then you say you aren't playing the real game if you play it by yourself like how it was on the NES? Make up your mind you elitist.

I liked it and I have plenty of MS points to use but (1) I would rather be playing it on the PS3 d-pad and (2) PSN is better for price drops. I never had the chance to play Bionic Commando on the NES but I found the controls to be fine.. I guess. If I can get used to PixelJunk Eden's controls, I can do this too.

How come throwing those barrels suck so badly? I haven't hit a single enemy with them.

[quote name='Hostile']I liked it and I have plenty of MS points to use but (1) I would rather be playing it on the PS3 d-pad and (2) PSN is better for price drops. I never had the chance to play Bionic Commando on the NES but I found the controls to be fine.. I guess. If I can get used to PixelJunk Eden's controls, I can do this too.

How come throwing those barrels suck so badly? I haven't hit a single enemy with them.[/QUOTE]

Try holding down when you throw them, it rolls the barrels instead of chucking them 20 feet.

Isn't it funny that a game running from a harddrive has insanely long loadtimes? XD Soul Calibur IV loads faster... -_-;; It really doesn't bother me THAT much in the end, but I am surprised by it.

Just gotta beat the Albatross now... And then it'll be into hard modes, perfecting finding all the Yacishis (SP), and the challenge rooms! Ahhhh. Such a sweet game. Pi Pi Pi...

[quote name='SAB-CA']Isn't it funny that a game running from a harddrive has insanely long loadtimes? XD Soul Calibur IV loads faster... -_-;; It really doesn't bother me THAT much in the end, but I am surprised by it.

Just gotta beat the Albatross now... And then it'll be into hard modes, perfecting finding all the Yacishis (SP), and the challenge rooms! Ahhhh. Such a sweet game. Pi Pi Pi...[/QUOTE]

Any tips on the Area 11 boss? Getting pissed off now....

NM. Figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is the load times probably come from decompression routines. You're essentially unzipping game resources and then putting them into memory every time you play. Which is where PSN has the edge, because you download an installer, which then uncompresses the much larger end product onto your HDD, hence quicker load times.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']You say this is how Bionic Commando is supposed to play in terms of controls, then you say you aren't playing the real game if you play it by yourself like how it was on the NES? Make up your mind you elitist.[/quote]

Lol. I didn't mean for that to sound elitist but I don't like hearing silly complaints on things that are supposed to be the way that they are. And yes, for this version of Bionic Commando, playing with a friend to me is playing the 'real' game. If I or my friend ran out of lives it got kind of cold and lonely. Enemies died quicker, Bosses weren't as diabolical, and no one could play crash test dummy anymore. It's just such a fun co-op experience.

I think that I'm going to find a Hori EX Pad Turbo. The 360 D-Pad is so wrong. Microsoft just doesn't give a flying shit about fixing it either. It's a shame really.

I am loving BC:RA and never played the original back in the NES days (was to busy with Low G man probably). Anyway is it me or is this game more difficult than anything released in recent years that is "Current/Next gen"?

[quote name='mercilessming']I am loving BC:RA and never played the original back in the NES days (was to busy with Low G man probably). Anyway is it me or is this game more difficult than anything released in recent years that is "Current/Next gen"?[/quote]

I think some of the challenges are insanely difficult. The main levels aren't as bad. Maybe because I played the original when I was a wee lad. But still, it's not easy.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']My guess is the load times probably come from decompression routines. You're essentially unzipping game resources and then putting them into memory every time you play. Which is where PSN has the edge, because you download an installer, which then uncompresses the much larger end product onto your HDD, hence quicker load times.[/quote]
-nod- Hmmm, that makes sense. So how large is the final install on the PS3, if you happen to know?

That Area 11 boss annoyed me too, lol. It kept irking my brother and I, because we felt it was us being impatient that got us killed, and not the boss just being hard... I love it when fighting bosses in old school games have a "rhythm" to beating them. It makes it memorable for years... when you can hear the sound effects in your head, calling back to when you should react, and when each action should land... Grin really seems to understand these little nuances of classic gaming.

I had really high expectations for this game since the original was one of my favorite games of all time. And so far I guess it's met them. The swing mechanics are damn near perfect, and the amount of extras thrown in is wonderful. I'm sitting at 100/200 after most of the day yesterday playing and the previous night when it was released. Been playing for a few hours again today also.

The challenges are very hard. After clearing through challenge 16 or so I think, i came back and continued in the regular game and it seemed almost too easy with my newely refound kick ass swinging skills.

The game is awesome, I'm actually glad its as hard as I remember.

Does anyone know how the "continue game" option works? If you die and continue, do you have to do the hacking missions on the level you just died in still or can they be skipped?

[quote name='hohez']The challenges are very hard. After clearing through challenge 16 or so I think, i came back and continued in the regular game and it seemed almost too easy with my newely refound kick ass swinging skills.[/quote]

Same with me. I spent a few hours just on the challenges and then I went back to the main game and dominated.

I want to unlock the acheivment where you go through the entire level without shooting your gun. Anyone done this yet? What's the best level to tackle this one? And does using your gun against the boss count? Some bosses you have no choice.

[quote name='Rodimus']Same with me. I spent a few hours just on the challenges and then I went back to the main game and dominated.

I want to unlock the acheivment where you go through the entire level without shooting your gun. Anyone done this yet? What's the best level to tackle this one? And does using your gun against the boss count? Some bosses you have no choice.[/quote]

I haven't done the Gunless thing yet, but here is my guess: First Stage, Use grenades. Swing through enemies, toss them and barrels, kill the boss with tossed barrels and grenade pitches.

Also, any stages where you have to kill a platoon leader as a boss, just toss a grenade at him, and it's instant death for the over-medal'd fool.

[quote name='SAB-CA']Also, any stages where you have to kill a platoon leader as a boss, just toss a grenade at him, and it's instant death for the over-medal'd fool.[/quote]

Seriously, I was hyped for the fight, then I lobbed a grande and it was over in 2 seconds. But I'll try the first level for the "no-gun" Acheivment.

No Gun Tips

Once you get super claw, go back to stage 1 and do it. awesome note that makes it much easier, grenades don't count so use em to your hearts content.

I just went through slowly and surely using my claw for all kills, if done right, theres a path left once inside with a blue guy you can grab and throw to break a barrier, then at the end, you can grab the rocket launcher guy and tos him to break that barrier to the boss door.

The boss use grenades once you get him on the ground.

[quote name='mercilessming']I am loving BC:RA and never played the original back in the NES days (was to busy with Low G man probably). Anyway is it me or is this game more difficult than anything released in recent years that is "Current/Next gen"?[/quote]

Uh you must not have played N+.

^ Indeed they're tough. You would think the higher the number the more difficult but that's not always the case. I easily breezed through the 40's but had a lot of problems with the 20's.

Alright I have beat all challenges up to challenge 24—those are the only ones I have unlocked at the moment—but challenge 18 Trial and Error still eludes me. I can get to the part with the three single blocks after you fall from the ceiling. I cannot figure out how the hell I am supposed to grab the right most block without slamming into the wall.

Can anyone help?

Just picked this up today! I had time to briefly learn the controls before having to head off; but it seems to be a pretty interesting looking game. I thought that I had played it on the NES originally, but now, I don't think that I ever did!!

fuck my ass. I've gotten to the Area 1 boss twice now and have accidentally hit A and shot my gun out of habit because of the load screens.

Got it using only 1 life GG.

bread's done
Back